Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 AM

321 posts, read 402,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Keeping in mind, first time visitors.

Of course we want to see it ALL, but with only 1 week, we have to be realistic about the itinerary.
3 days in Rome including 1-day trip to Pompeii
2 days in Florence including 1-halfday trip to Pisa
2 days in Venice ( a 1-halfday trip to Verona is possible but too hustled I reckon )

That's it, these are unquestionably the must-see places in Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:37 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,528,855 times
ahh! this is not helping LOL! Now I want to extend to 2 weeks in Italy, but I don't think we can.

Aside from Rome & Venice, I have always wanted to see Tuscany. Is it possible to do those 3 in 1 week?

What about Lake Cuomo and Milan?

ETA - and FLORENCE!

Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
3 days in Rome including 1-day trip to Pompeii
2 days in Florence including 1-halfday trip to Pisa
2 days in Venice ( a 1-halfday trip to Verona is possible but too hustled I reckon )

That's it, these are unquestionably the must-see places in Italy.
I like this idea...

Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,365,912 times
Quote:
ahh! this is not helping LOL! Now I want to extend to 2 weeks in Italy, but I don't think we can.

Aside from Rome & Venice, I have always wanted to see Tuscany. Is it possible to do those 3 in 1 week?

What about Lake Cuomo and Milan?

ETA - and FLORENCE!
Well, depends on what you consider doable. Chinese tourists "do" all of Europe in two weeks.

Some people would say that a single day in Florence is enough to see all the sights, I'd stay there for at least three full days. Same with Venice and Rome.

Quote:
I like this idea...
I guess you are flying in and out of Rome? If that's the case, I'd strongly advice against Rome, Tuscany and Venice. IF you had two weeks, I guess that plan would be more realistic. Taking the train from Florence to Rome in order to get your flight takes ~4 hours, which essentially means you are losing more than half of your day (including packing, leaving the hotel, getting to the airport, ...)

Now, Florence and surroundings (4 days), Siena (2-3 days) and Pisa (an afternoon at most) is something I'd consider manageable.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,429,169 times
I am planning the same trip. I plan on a ten day trip to see everything I want to see.

Day1-3 Fly into Rome and spend three nights there. Possible day trip to Pompeii.

Day 4-6 take the train to Florence. Spend three nights with a car rental.

day 7-10 take the train to Venice. Spend three nights there and leave on the last day. Possible day trips to Verona, Burano, Murano, etc...

Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,849,058 times
I'd do it like this

4 Days in Rome
3 in Florence
2 in Venice

Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, depends on what you consider doable. Chinese tourists "do" all of Europe in two weeks.

Some people would say that a single day in Florence is enough to see all the sights, I'd stay there for at least three full days. Same with Venice and Rome.

I guess you are flying in and out of Rome? If that's the case, I'd strongly advice against Rome, Tuscany and Venice. IF you had two weeks, I guess that plan would be more realistic. Taking the train from Florence to Rome in order to get your flight takes ~4 hours, which essentially means you are losing more than half of your day (including packing, leaving the hotel, getting to the airport, ...)

Now, Florence and surroundings (4 days), Siena (2-3 days) and Pisa (an afternoon at most) is something I'd consider manageable.
I definitely don't want to leave somewhere with that feeling that I didn't have enough time... which is what happened last time I was in Paris. That is not a nice feeling.

I think maybe it might make sense to limit it to 2 cities for our 1st trip there, and then do other cities on future trips.

Doesn't matter to me where we fly in/out of. We have not booked anything yet. Just in the early planning stages.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I am planning the same trip. I plan on a ten day trip to see everything I want to see.

Day1-3 Fly into Rome and spend three nights there. Possible day trip to Pompeii.

Day 4-6 take the train to Florence. Spend three nights with a car rental.

day 7-10 take the train to Venice. Spend three nights there and leave on the last day. Possible day trips to Verona, Burano, Murano, etc...
that sounds like a very nice trip! have fun.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,561,670 times
I would go back to Pompeii and the Vatican.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM

321 posts, read 402,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Taking the train from Florence to Rome in order to get your flight takes ~4 hours, which essentially means you are losing more than half of your day (including packing, leaving the hotel, getting to the airport, ...)
No, using the HST it takes apprx 2h20m from Florence main station to Fiumicino Airport.

You can look up travel time and price here:
Trenitalia - HomePage

It is 1h35m~ from Firenze Santa Maria Novella to Roma Termini, then 32m from Roma Termini to the airport.

Of course if you take into account the time spent at the airport, since you must arrive at least 90-100m before the scheduled departure time, then the whole travel time adds up to 4 hours~ plus the time spent to get to Florence train station from the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe