Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,894,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Finland is not included in Scandinavia anyhow. Scandies view Finland as a rather add on. A sort of country semi-attached to Russia with an odd language. I got that from Swedes who live in London. BTW, in the 1800s and first part of the 20th century in Liverpool Scandinavians were knows as "Scanwegians". The city has a reasonably large Scandinavian element of ancestry.

If Finland was to be in a new country called Scandinavia, it would have to be in NATO as would Sweden. Russia would be rather upset.
We are not. The Swedes view Finland as the "little brother", not as a add-on. The little brother mentality is sometimes quite hurtful psychologically for us. For example Swedish journalists asked the then-to-be Prime Minister that "this is implemented in Sweden, would you do the same?". But ultimately, politically, socially and economically Finland would be the real outcast in this new situation, and as I said mentally very hurtful. And when we are hurt, it means approaching Germany, and that haven't always brought much good.

BTW, the last big survey was done in 2009, and in all countries the support for a Nordic new unity was around 40%. Despite the different language, the support in Finland is as strong as it is in Denmark, because this entity is where we belong.
I also asked a Finnish forum if they would like a Sweden-Finland united country again. There was 450 voters, and a surprising 63% were for the idea. So on a theoretical basis, Finland is not as against the idea one might think. If the Norwegians wants to exclude us, fine, but I doubt the Swedes would.

Finland was attached to Russia for 100 years yes, but since the 1860's the breakout was considered as the most likely outcome. Socially and mentally we couldn't be more far from Russia, at least as a nation bordering Russia. The fact that more Finns speak Spanish than Russian should tell you something. We tolerate them, can come along with them, and want their rubles, but otherwise Finland want to have very little to do with Russia.

NATO is debated now in both Finland and Sweden due to this new geopolitical situation, and the supporting trend is a lite-version: a military alliance between our countries.

Last edited by Ariete; 10-30-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,466,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Hot climate countries have the social aspect on the streets. In northern Europe, the UK included, all is indoors because of the weather. Social activities have to be arranged, you do not walk out onto the streets and run into it.
^^^Um...what does this mean?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:06 PM

990 posts, read 1,948,731 times
I am a Swede and I would fully support the idea of Scandinavia as a country and federation, with Finland and Iceland included. Significant local autonomy should apply (with former countries being states/provinces), in a system similar to USA, Canada or Spain.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I am a Swede and I would fully support the idea of Scandinavia as a country and federation, with Finland and Iceland included. Significant local autonomy should apply (with former countries being states/provinces), in a system similar to USA, Canada or Spain.
Spain doesn't belong in there. Canada and the USA are federations, Spain is not and I think a federation is what you may be thinking of and I would agree with you on that. I believe Sweden, Norway and Finland are already federations (I may not be completely correct) so such a system would be an easy transition.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Spain doesn't belong in there. Canada and the USA are federations, Spain is not and I think a federation is what you may be thinking of and I would agree with you on that. I believe Sweden, Norway and Finland are already federations (I may not be completely correct) so such a system would be an easy transition.
What I meant was a federal nation with strongly self-ruling states or regions. Spain is kind of like a federation. But I agree the USA and Canada is more like it.

A Scandinavian country should consist of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Greenland as 7 different self-governing autonomous states. The Scandinavian sovereign country would have one of the strongest economies in the world.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
What I meant was a federal nation with strongly self-ruling states or regions. Spain is kind of like a federation. But I agree the USA and Canada is more like it.

A Scandinavian country should consist of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Greenland as 7 different self-governing autonomous states. The Scandinavian sovereign country would have one of the strongest economies in the world.
No it is not. Spain is a unitary nation and is nothing like a federation. Canada and the USA seem more like it because they are and Spain isn't. Germany would have been a better choice.

I do agree that a unified Scandinavia would be a force to be reckoned with. However the trend today isn't nations joining but the other way. Also, aren't Greenland and the Faroes under Danish authority already?

Old 10-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No it is not. Spain is a unitary nation and is nothing like a federation. Canada and the USA seem more like it because they are and Spain isn't. Germany would have been a better choice.

I do agree that a unified Scandinavia would be a force to be reckoned with. However the trend today isn't nations joining but the other way. Also, aren't Greenland and the Faroes under Danish authority already?
Greenland and the Faroe Islands are already self-ruling and autonomous, they run their own domestic affairs and have their own laws, Danish laws does not apply there, they have very well established local home rule with their own parliaments, governments and prime ministers. And unlike Denmark, they are not part of the EU. Denmark has authority over their foreign affairs and defense, but not domestic affairs.

I think it would only be fair to let them keep their status as self-ruling and autonomous within a unified Scandinavia. Just like the territories Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories in Canada, who has their own governments and parliaments (legal assembly) despite having very small populations. In a unified Scandinavia, Greenland and the Faroe Islands would not be under the authority under Denmark at all as Denmark would be its own self-governing autonomous state in a unified federal Scandinavia.

According to statistics, the idea of a unified Scandinavia is actually supported by a significant amount of people.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 10-30-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,961,168 times
Quote:
Greenland and the Faroe Islands are already self-ruling and autonomous, they run their own domestic affairs and have their own laws, Danish laws does not apply there, they have very well established local home rule with their own parliaments, governments and prime ministers. And unlike Denmark, they are not part of the EU. Denmark has authority over their foreign affairs and defense, but not domestic affairs.

I think it would only be fair to let them keep their status as self-ruling and autonomous within a unified Scandinavia. Just like the territories Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories in Canada, who has their own governments and parliaments (legal assembly) desite having very small populations. In a unified Scandinavia, Greenland and the Faroe Islands would not be under the authority under Denmark at all as Denmark would be its own self-governing autonomous state in a unified federal Scandinavia.

According to statistics, the idea of a unified Scandinavia is actually supported by a significant amount of people.
I'm not into politics a lot, but I'm guessing a unified Scandinavia would be similar to the UK, although we don't all speak a common language...
I also think a unified Sweden and Finland is more likely than Sweden and Norway/Denmark

Old 10-30-2014, 03:05 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,415,037 times
The UK is a very bad example.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:06 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,405,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
It'd probably be Copenhagen
Don´t you know there already is a city that is the capital of Scandinavia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe