Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:09 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Greenland and the Faroe Islands are already self-ruling and autonomous, they run their own domestic affairs and have their own laws, Danish laws does not apply there, they have very well established local home rule with their own parliaments, governments and prime ministers. And unlike Denmark, they are not part of the EU. Denmark has authority over their foreign affairs and defense, but not domestic affairs.

I think it would only be fair to let them keep their status as self-ruling and autonomous within a unified Scandinavia. Just like the territories Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories in Canada, who has their own governments and parliaments (legal assembly) despite having very small populations. In a unified Scandinavia, Greenland and the Faroe Islands would not be under the authority under Denmark at all as Denmark would be its own self-governing autonomous state in a unified federal Scandinavia.

According to statistics, the idea of a unified Scandinavia is actually supported by a significant amount of people.
Thanks for the clarification on that. There is a difference though with the situation in Canada. Those territories are still part of the federal system unlike what you described for the Faroes and Greenland. That's almost like a confederation, which I guess is another option a unified Scandinavia could go.

Now besides stats, have their even been any serious considerations of unifying Scandinavia? In this day and age of countries separating, I think this idea is perhaps the only unification idea that has the best chance of working out. just keep in mind, there's a difference between a federation and a confederation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Don´t you know there already is a city that is the capital of Scandinavia?
Yes I do, Stockholm

I thought it was just a nickname really

Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No it is not. Spain is a unitary nation and is nothing like a federation.
The differences between the Spanish system and "true" federations like Germany, Austria or Switzerland are basically non-existent. The only difference seems to be that Spain simply isn't called a federation.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Most of the South American countries have a large population. People view the Scandinavian countries as dull and boring because of each of their low population and weather. You clearly didn't understand what I was asking.
What?!?! People do? LOL No one told me. I've been dreaming of going to Scandinavia because I imagine as a place full of adventure...far from dull and boring. Are New Zealand and Chile also considered dull and boring? 'Cause I also want to go to those places rather badly, and I need to know if as a person I just happened to be attracted to 'dull and boring' places. haha

Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM

595 posts, read 719,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No it is not. Spain is a unitary nation and is nothing like a federation. Canada and the USA seem more like it because they are and Spain isn't. Germany would have been a better choice.
According to Wikipedia Spain can be considered as one de facto federation (if you consider Wikipedia a reliable source )

Federation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM

221 posts, read 343,452 times
Quote:
I also think a unified Sweden and Finland is more likely than Sweden and Norway/Denmark
I can't see Norway and Sweden unite at all. If any countries unite it might be Iceland and Norway. There is a political party on Iceland campaigning for Iceland to become Norway's 20th county. Long way to go before that happens though.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
According to Wikipedia Spain can be considered as one de facto federation (if you consider Wikipedia a reliable source )

Federation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, I referenced that same source but didn't bother to scroll down. I didn't know Spain was like that.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
What?!?! People do? LOL No one told me. I've been dreaming of going to Scandinavia because I imagine as a place full of adventure...far from dull and boring. Are New Zealand and Chile also considered dull and boring? 'Cause I also want to go to those places rather badly, and I need to know if as a person I just happened to be attracted to 'dull and boring' places. haha
Well, the majority of the people that do not like the Scandinavian countries often say how boring and dull the countries are, but also, the majority have never been here before and base it on the weather and the low population.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The differences between the Spanish system and "true" federations like Germany, Austria or Switzerland are basically non-existent. The only difference seems to be that Spain simply isn't called a federation.
Yep, just learned that and you're both correct. it has all the characteristics of a federation.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Well, the majority of the people that do not like the Scandinavian countries often say how boring and dull the countries are, but also, the majority have never been here before and base it on the weather and the low population.
For me, Sweden interest me more than Italy which is high on everyone else's list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe