Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,958,771 times

Advertisements

Population always gets brought up when people talk about Norway, Sweden and Denmark, so if they were to be one country all together, would you view the place differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,255,051 times
I'd view it the same. The population isn't something I readily think about when it comes to Scandinavian countries. I do think more about all that enormous space though, particularly the countries above Denmark.

If it were one country, I would be curious if Copenhagen or Stockholm would be the capital though.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
I don't know, but we would be devastated because not being included. It would be a huge blow.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM

671 posts, read 892,355 times
As differently as I would view South America if all the countries there were united as one country......
Got another question that's been thought threw?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,125,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Population always gets brought up when people talk about Norway, Sweden and Denmark, so if they were to be one country all together, would you view the place differently?
Maybe like England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland together and separated.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
As differently as I would view South America if all the countries there were united as one country......
Got another question that's been thought threw?
Most of the South American countries have a large population. People view the Scandinavian countries as dull and boring because of each of their low population and weather. You clearly didn't understand what I was asking.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd view it the same. The population isn't something I readily think about when it comes to Scandinavian countries. I do think more about all that enormous space though, particularly the countries above Denmark.

If it were one country, I would be curious if Copenhagen or Stockholm would be the capital though.
It'd probably be Copenhagen

Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
Globally, it would be a force to be recognised. IF Finland were to be included, it would be an economy as big as Russia, despite having only 27 million people. It would be the 9th largest economy in the world.

If Finland were to be excluded, it would put us to a very difficult position between Scandinavia and Russia. We would also lose our strongest ally, Sweden, as part of the new geopolitical situation. Mentally, it would be a huge blow for us, and would have no other choice than reach out to the Baltic States or Germany. Or going Switzerland, meaning leaving the EU and €.

If Finland is included, I'm all there, without, it would be devastating.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:13 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't know, but we would be devastated because not being included. It would be a huge blow.
Finland is not included in Scandinavia anyhow. Scandies view Finland as a rather add on. A sort of country semi-attached to Russia with an odd language. I got that from Swedes who live in London. BTW, in the 1800s and first part of the 20th century in Liverpool Scandinavians were knows as "Scanwegians". The city has a reasonably large Scandinavian element of ancestry.

If Finland was to be in a new country called Scandinavia, it would have to be in NATO as would Sweden. Russia would be rather upset.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
People view the Scandinavian countries as dull and boring because of each of their low population and weather.
Hot climate countries have the social aspect on the streets. In northern Europe, the UK included, all is indoors because of the weather. Social activities have to be arranged, you do not walk out onto the streets and run into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe