Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 AM

144 posts, read 185,480 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me what's "new" about France nowadays, specifically the urban areas? (i.e. lifestyle, crime rates...)
I just checked the World Factbook and was rather shocked to find how France's life expectancy has been gradually falling in the past few years. I think last time I checked it was at #5 or 6 and now it's #15. Now, apparently Australians and Canadians outlive the average French person? That's new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

545 posts, read 868,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Can you tell me what's "new" about France nowadays, specifically the urban areas? (i.e. lifestyle, crime rates...)
I just checked the World Factbook and was rather shocked to find how France's life expectancy has been gradually falling in the past few years. I think last time I checked it was at #5 or 6 and now it's #15. Now, apparently Australians and Canadians outlive the average French person? That's new to me.
France just fall in ranking because some other countries improved a lot. But the life expectancy is still rising every year. Australia and Canada are rich countries will a lot of space, which mean fresh air. This help a bit.
France stats growth slowed because women started to smoke in the 60's, old drinking problems and air pollution. More over, immigration brings different lifestyles, which are not always very healthy.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,762,168 times
Is life expectancy actually falling or are other countries passing it up?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:59 PM

603 posts, read 1,638,240 times
I think it could be fine if there is not anymore pollution, immigration and health issues off course.

France could potentially be more on the rise if these issues were sorted and that is what will add more to their economy (which is fairly good).

Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,051,100 times
Gypsies from romania and bulgaria? <- can be considered novelty i suppose...

Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,899,917 times
French pigs just killed a young environmentalist who was demonstrating against the slaughter of the countryside by concrete. A same scandal nationwide as the killing of that young fellow in Ferguson (lots of young people and students are demonstrating right now). But of course US tourists don't care, so enamored they are with their idea of "eternal Fraaaaance"...

Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM

144 posts, read 185,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
French pigs just killed a young environmentalist who was demonstrating against the slaughter of the countryside by concrete. A same scandal nationwide as the killing of that young fellow in Ferguson (lots of young people and students are demonstrating right now). But of course US tourists don't care, so enamored they are with their idea of "eternal Fraaaaance"...
Ouch. I hope to see improvements sometime soon. Not just in France, but anywhere else with urban sprawl like that...

Old 11-09-2014, 03:55 PM

545 posts, read 868,919 times
Quote:
Ouch. I hope to see improvements sometime soon. Not just in France, but anywhere else with urban sprawl like that...
Technically it's not concrete. It's a dam project. They want to build a manmade lake to irrigate farms. But to do so, they have to flood a swamp with a very dense wildlife. Environmental groups don't want this, and a cop killed (by accident) an activist during an action to make the project stop.
Sadly, people and NGO's don't really care about the urban sprawl of the country, but are more focused on some small events.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:30 PM

181 posts, read 232,786 times
Quote:
I just checked the World Factbook and was rather shocked to find how France's life expectancy has been gradually falling in the past few years.
The CIA World Factbook is the last source that should be checked by anyone. It's full of inaccuracies, outdated or made up figures. Totally unreliable.

For things like that, you'd better check the OECD statistics: http://stats.oecd.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe