Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Catacombs is a very touristy thing. This is not a Parisian experience, this is a world tourism experience. Now the author of the thread should ask himself/herself whether he/she wants to experience Paris, or the international tourism circuit.

If he/she wants to experience Paris, something like the Christmas Market on Place Saint-Sulpice is infinitely better than the Catacombs or other sterile tourist sites.
Except that most people go to Paris to do the touristy stuff.

But yeah I agree with you, Place Saint-Sulpice is good. That church is miles better than Notre Dame.
The green spaces in Paris are pretty nice imo(Vincennes, Luxembourg, Buttes Chaumont etc.). Avoid Tuileries and Champ de Mars, they suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Hmm, well I disagree that the catacombs are 'sterile' since they are stacks of bones in an underground tunnel. It's pretty macabre and weird if you ask me. It is a tourist attraction but as far as I know, Paris is the only place one can experience such a thing. Whereas the Christmas Market you suggest instead can be found in Chicago, New York, Minneapolis, Calgary, Toronto, etc. On such a short trip I would recommend the touristy stuff. Paris does touristy pretty well, in my opinion.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Hmm, well I disagree that the catacombs are 'sterile' since they are stacks of bones in an underground tunnel. It's pretty macabre and weird if you ask me. It is a tourist attraction but as far as I know, Paris is the only place one can experience such a thing. Whereas the Christmas Market you suggest instead can be found in Chicago, New York, Minneapolis, Calgary, Toronto, etc.
Catacombs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, it's not, but Christmas Market is certainly a lot more common around the world. Catacombs are mostly located in Europe.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 PM

181 posts, read 231,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Except that most people go to Paris to do the touristy stuff.
Their loss!

But the author of this thread wants to experience Paris from what I understand, not the international tourism circuit.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM

181 posts, read 231,986 times
Quote:
Hmm, well I disagree that the catacombs are 'sterile' since they are stacks of bones in an underground tunnel. It's pretty macabre and weird if you ask me. It is a tourist attraction but as far as I know, Paris is the only place one can experience such a thing.
You can experience it in Italy in many cities. Ossuaries are quite common in Europe actually, especially Italy and Central Europe.

This is in the Czech Republic for example:

Quote:
Whereas the Christmas Market you suggest instead can be found in Chicago, New York, Minneapolis, Calgary, Toronto, etc.
On this, you couldn't be more wrong. No American city has a Christmas Market with the atmosphere of Place Saint-Sulpice, and what they sell there you can't find in a North American Christmas Market.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:57 PM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I'd give the Crazy Horse a miss- over priced tourist tut.

Look out for lovely street food markets. There's a lovely one round the corner from my daughter's apartment near the Ecole Militaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe