Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,652,814 times

Advertisements

I'm currently unhappy where I live (Pennsylvania) and really want to move once I have the funds and a job in a new location. I'm working on getting a 2nd job in Pennsylvania to start saving. For 6 years, I thought I'd move elsewhere in the US, but I'm finding not having a driver's license and my degree is making it very hard to stay in the US. I have an English writing degree. For the longest time I wanted to move to Germany, but decided against it in 2009 because I heard the process is hard. I did a Google search:

https://www.experience.com/alumnus/a..._1186605160941

I was thinking about finding a 2nd job in Pennsylvania that had foreign companies, so maybe I could transfer. My one friend is originally from the UK and despite having a family in the UK and his dad gaining employment in the UK, it was still hard for his family to go back to the UK. They did move, though. If I found a job that was international, would it be the same way? I still do have family in Ireland, but I know Ireland isn't doing well and wasn't thinking about Ireland. Is an English degree useless in Europe like it is in the US? I ask because I read this from the site:

Quote:
2. Getting your work permission extended is possible, but it is also quite difficult because of the strict regulations set forth by the EU. Your employer will need to show that your job has a specific skill set that cannot be filled by another EU citizen. In Ireland and the UK, this means copies of newspaper ads and FAS employment opportunity numbers have to be provided along with proof of your qualifications. Regardless of where you are, the application will clearly specify what is and isn't required. Make sure that you have all your paperwork together precisely as dictated on the form before you submit.
Would an English writing degree be something anyone can fill? I guess right now I'm just unsure of what I want to do. I guess my best bet is to find job #2, start saving and when the time comes, just apply everywhere. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,371,128 times
Well, I guess it's not impossible to move here with a degree in English writing. But what sort of work are you planning to do at a big foreign company? I mean, those multinationals probably prefer candidates who are able to communicate in English, are citizens of a EU member state AND have a degree that's aimed towards the industry that company is involved in.

Now, is an English degree completely useless? Of course not. You can always go into teaching and the market for English-language media is rapidly growing (print/online). Keep in mind, though, that you'll always have to compete with locals. So yeah, I guess I'd focus on these two options instead of applying for jobs at random companies.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,321,821 times
Most of europe has very high unemployment for people under 30. Getting a job would probably be the result of luck. If I were you I'd try to get a job at a multinational doing anything and then get transferred to a european office. For example there are a lot of pharmaceutical companies near where you live. My uncle worked for GSK for many years and was always in the UK or Switzerland.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Hi viribusunitis,

I'm not certified to teach in the US (wouldn't want to be certified to teach in the US), so maybe I'll see what the parameters are for teaching in Europe and what I'd have to do. I also have published books, so that's a good option too. I love writing.

I can speak German almost fluently and I'm pretty good with Arabic. I know some French. The companies around here; I was looking at mostly German companies, are all medical and engineering... so that leaves me out (not allowed to go for my master's... I have to find a job first and go from there). I know a British store is opening soon, but that's retail and I'm not sure if that'd be the best way to go. Maybe I'll just find something around here that isn't international and gain more experience. I work at a library now (been there for 8 years) and for 3 years I was a technical writer intern.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,371,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Maybe I'll just find something around here that isn't international and gain more experience.
More experience is always a good thing. It should be relevant work experience, though. For that you have to think about what you want to do later on in life.

Another three years at a library will probably mean that you'll stay in that field. You are overqualified for retail and underqualified for most jobs where you need to know a "skill" (legal work, accounting, engineering, ...).
Getting "any" job at a multinational won't get you a transfer to Europe. There wouldn't be a reason for that. They can hire another clerk in Germany.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,321,821 times
I didn't meant to imply any random job will get you transferred to Germany but that there is a higher likelihood of that path working out rather than simply getting a job in "Europe" with an english degree.

For example, my uncle was a real goof off in his younger years and I am not sure what his job was at GSK or how he even got it. I believe it was some sort of project manager job, where he coordinated the activities between a team in the USA and teams in the UK and Switzerland. He certainly was no engineer, accountant or lawyer. I think most americans don't really want to live outside of the USA and vice versa so it's hard to find people willing to bounce around between countries.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,495,943 times
Yes you could. But you need to find a job first I think. Getting a visa is not hard for an American.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
More experience is always a good thing. It should be relevant work experience, though. For that you have to think about what you want to do later on in life.

Another three years at a library will probably mean that you'll stay in that field. You are overqualified for retail and underqualified for most jobs where you need to know a "skill" (legal work, accounting, engineering, ...).
Getting "any" job at a multinational won't get you a transfer to Europe. There wouldn't be a reason for that. They can hire another clerk in Germany.
Yeah, that makes sense and although I want to move, I want to make sure the job is a fit for me too. Where I live, there's not much besides retail. It's frustrating because I've been looking for writing jobs and a job that will allow me to keep the library. I want to stay with the library as long as I am here - I would love to be a librarian, but I know I would need something else. I've been looking at anything in writing from technical to creative to marketing, etc.

I know a lot of people go to Asia to teach English and I believe those people said not much is required to teach English in Asian countries. Maybe I'll see what is required in that respect for Europe... but I like the writing angle. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 105,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I still do have family in Ireland, but I know Ireland isn't doing well and wasn't thinking about Ireland.
Do you have parents and or grandparents who have Irish citizenship? If you have at least one Irish grandparent, you can easily get Irish citizenship which will give you the ability to immediately work in any of the 28 EU countries.

Experience: How I Became Irish | Transpondia Immigration FAQ

Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 PM

536 posts, read 1,544,670 times
Why do you not have a driver's license? I was able to get mine at age 18 without an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe