Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,346 times

Advertisements

There are two really boring countries on the list as far as I'm concerned. And I don't say it because I just visited, I lived in both. Germany and Canada, both are beautiful though and worth a visit.

US is more fun, however that is probably not one of their criteria!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM

985 posts, read 1,858,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Relevant for those who speak German Clip from 2009 when Germany was declared the world's favourite country for the first (?) time.

Funny!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,760,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
" because they're basically the only big, rich, powerful country that doesn't really do much on a global stage. They're almost apolitical, so don't anger too many people. .
shouldn't all countries work like this? If you meddle with other countries' affairs, of course you will be hated, or even attacked.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Looking at the list, I keep wondering, do people really have such short memories?

UK, US and Germany are the probably three countries that have caused the most of the world's problems. There are only a handful of nations on the earth that the UK hasn't evaded or colonized or caused troubled in, and the US is still aggressively meddling with every country's business.

The only explanation is that this survey is conducted in a few rich countries who either don't know much about history, or the existence of other countries in the world, not simply don't care.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Forbes said Switzerland is the most reputable country of 2014 like two months ago, followed by Canada and Sweden.

Germany was like, 10th on that list.
this is more like a ranking of harmless countries, rather than likable countries.

Sweden, don't know much about it and sounds like a great place. Why not vote for that What exactly has Sweden done that is so likable? Ikea?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,549,065 times
Why should this rely on only international affairs, wars, and quality of life? "Favourite country" doesn't necesitate a good track record for any of those things. It's probably among favourites for having been the centre of some of the most studied events in history and being one of the most obvious of European countries.

It's like if Thailand won, no one would be surprised or act all suspicious because it isn't the most developed place on Earth.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:05 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,043,819 times
not surprised, bulgaria won't fit in top 300 though lol, but it's my favorite...well one vote is better than 0.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,379,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
shouldn't all countries work like this? If you meddle with other countries' affairs, of course you will be hated, or even attacked.
Highly debatable. If every country acted like this, there would be almost no Jewish or Gypsy people on earth, they all would have been slaughtered during WW2. There may not even be a Europe, as we understand it.

Foreign policy should be based on being "liked" it should be based on doing what's right. But I don't think Germany wants to be "liked" nor is it trying to do what's right, they're just acting in their self interest of being an export-oriented economy at the center of Europe.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,622,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My three favorite countries are, in order:

USA
UK
Germany

I love me some Germany and actually Germany and the UK are sort of neck to neck in my book. I realize that's just me, but it doesn't surprise me that others feel the same way. I'm not all that weird. LOL!
I agree completely. I love the people, the history, and the culture in both Germany and the UK.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,132,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Looking at the list, I keep wondering, do people really have such short memories?

UK, US and Germany are the probably three countries that have caused the most of the world's problems. There are only a handful of nations on the earth that the UK hasn't evaded or colonized or caused troubled in, and the US is still aggressively meddling with every country's business.

The only explanation is that this survey is conducted in a few rich countries who either don't know much about history, or the existence of other countries in the world, not simply don't care.
This is about now, the past is over and most of those involved are dead or will be soon. Well except for the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe