Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times

Advertisements

Quite frankly, Hungary and Croatia don't really have anything to complain about the EU. Even in the case of the Netherlands it would be extreme hyperbole or a sign of being uninformed to claim that they "received nothing in exchange".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:11 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Quite frankly, Hungary an Croatia don't really have anything to complain about the EU.
They do, hungary for example lost of a lot of its companies or simply were dismantled by the EU, not only that but Hungarian agriculture is really good, very tasty and it is suffering because of crappy agriculture from countries like france forcing them to buy french products even though hungarian tomatoes for example are better.

The EU has been wonderful for Germany and France because they can play empires, and then leeching countries like Greece or Spain because of subsidies (they joined at the right time when the EU had plenty of money to go around), but other than that, many countries are dealing with the short end of the stick after joining the EU.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
They do, hungary for example lost of a lot of its companies or simply were dismantled by the EU, not only that but Hungarian agriculture is really good, very tasty and it is suffering because of crappy agriculture from countries like france forcing them to buy french products even though hungarian tomatoes for example are better.
A Hungarian nationalist told you this? Because it's all crap. Why would the EU dismantle a successful company? And the EU doesn't even have the power to do that.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:32 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Please name some examples of Hungarian companies that got dismantled by the EU.

Also, according to the Institute of Economics of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences the Hungarian agricultural sector suffered mostly because of the crash of the former Soviet market, the decline of production on those farms, which had produced mainly for the Soviet market, shrinkage of domestic demand for food products owing to the falling living standard, the curbing of state subsidies and the disarray induced by the privatization of agriculture.

Notice: All this happened before Hungary joined the EU in 2004 and was basically a fuck-up of the various Hungarian governments. In fact, profitability only improved due to EU subsidies provided after the accession.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
You know I'd have to think that with the Orban group relations with the EU can at times be very caustic. If anything he feels he's got a mandate to push through various 'laws' that seem
inimical to democratic principles. The EU has been on Hungary's back on that. Hungary right now seems to have somewhat of a disjunctive relationship now with the people in Brussels. Really it looks like it's that age old business of Hungary's national and patriotic vision coupled with its sense of 'Europeaness'. The relationship looks like it's really under pressure now.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 3,577 times
Throughout history, Croatia was under the influence of Austria, Hungary and Italy, they were occupied Croatian territory
So, the architecture but also the mentality of people is similar to Western Europe.
However, a large part of the Croatian as Dalmatian hinterland is not like that.
Croatia is a small country but within it there are differences among the regions because they are historically related to different countries. However, geographically Croatia belongs to the Balkan.
The capital city of Croatia is Zagreb and that's the first place I recommend that is worth visit if you come in Croatia, then there is peninsula of Istria and coast of Dlmacija. On the Internet you can see some of the attractions of the city and http://www.celicart-apartments.com/en/nasi-apartmani/ book apartments in Zagreb.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,577 times
Our apartments - CelicArt Apartmani

Old 12-15-2014, 06:32 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majac View Post
Throughout history, Croatia was under the influence of Austria, Hungary and Italy, they were occupied Croatian territory
So, the architecture but also the mentality of people is similar to Western Europe.
Croatia is a small country but within it there are differences among the regions because they are historically related to different countries. However, geographically Croatia belongs to the Balkan.
The capital city of Croatia is Zagreb and that's the first place I recommend that is worth visit if you come in Croatia, then there is peninsula of Istria and coast of Dlmacija. On the Internet you can see some of the attractions of the city and Our apartments - CelicArt Apartmani book apartments in Zagreb.
all i know about Croatia is Tomislav...who managed to defeat bulgarian king simeon despite the bulgarian empire back then easily dealing with the "stronger" eastern roman empire, hungary, serbia and romania.

I also know croatia is slavic unlike most all other countries around it that are erroneously considered to be slavic.

It's also shaped like a boomerang...i mean no offense .

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM

667 posts, read 940,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majac View Post
The capital city of Croatia is Zagreb and that's the first place I recommend that is worth visit if you come in Croatia, then there is peninsula of Istria and coast of Dlmacija. On the Internet you can see some of the attractions of the city and Our apartments - CelicArt Apartmani book apartments in Zagreb.
I was in Zagreb last month and quite liked it. Of course it's not Paris or Rome but the city has its charm. I liked the Upper Town the most. However, Zagreb is obviously not a touristy city; I didn't come across many tourists.
I wouldn't say it looks like the West, rather like Central/Eastern Europe. In a way, it reminded me of Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
they are all eastern europe in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe