Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,363,523 times

Advertisements

Well, what you have to do in order to move to any of these locations depends on whether you want to work, study or do both (visa, permits, etc.).

Now, attending grad school definitely seems like an option. All you have to do is to look into cities you are interested in, go to the websites of universities you deem appropriate and apply.
Stockholm (Karolinska Institutet!!!), Copenhagen, Helsinki, Lund, Aarhus and Götheborg all seem like great cities to study in. Studied in Helsinki and Turku myself and it was superb. London is fantastic as well and a friend thought that his stay at the University of Edinburgh was pretty awesome.

What's the cheapest? Depends on your own standard of living. Dorm rooms are pretty cheap in Scandinavia, renting an apartment is not. Capital cities are more expensive than regional cities. So again, it's easier to answer your question when you actually know what you want to do and narrowed it down to a specific region or to some cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:16 AM

221 posts, read 344,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
though i've heard if you want them to accept you as one of their own you'd need to learn Svenska.
Common sense, isn't it? To learn the language of the country you move to should be mandatory. I would go crazy living in a country not knowing what the natives around me are saying. It's like asking to be an outsider.

Quote:
The city is also very beautiful and flawlessly clean - one thing that surprised me though: very few black people or asians, i'd expect more mixed environment considering their developed econonmy. Instead you'd see more brown-eyed people who are probably arabs or serbs or even swedes.
Stockholm is one of the most segregated cities in Northern Europe. The non-western immigrants have their own suburbs. The inner city is white.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:27 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,407,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcanadien View Post
Go to the UK. Asking whether to go to the UK or Scandinavia after graduation is like asking if you should go to Red Deer, Alberta and Toronto after graduation. There is a lot of smokescreen on the subject that will be thrown your way but trust me, that is the bottom line. (Originally from Europe).
What´s wrong with Red Deer?

Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 5,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
UK, it sound more fun esp London. I have a friend from Norway and she studied in both Norway and London and found London much better to study in.
Well I prefer UK over Scandinavia for school, but living is where I'm having trouble.
If I continue graduate studies I guess I'll most likely choose UK.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 AM

888 posts, read 1,595,642 times
Before you decide, check out the housing markets on each of your options. Both UK and Scandinavia have a few places where it's really tough to get a decent deal, or any deal at all for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe