Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:38 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
never appreciated mc donalds until i visited budapest
hungarian food is excellent

I wonder if you went to the right places... many tourists always go places and end up in tired tourist traps for lack of knowing where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 01:40 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
least friendly nation ive ever encountered , extremely corrupt and cynical too , blatant attempts to rip you off at every turn
I visited countries in just about every continent, including Ireland and I don't think Hungary stood out as a place full of people trying to rip you off

Old 12-06-2014, 05:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
Having followed Truth555's topics and posts, I can only conclude it is because they lack mongoloid genes, and as the only true and pure Europeans, they are genetically superior on all levels, physical and intellectual. Am I right Truth555?

Old 12-06-2014, 06:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,567,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Having followed Truth555's topics and posts, I can only conclude it is because they lack mongoloid genes, and as the only true and pure Europeans, they are genetically superior on all levels, physical and intellectual. Am I right Truth555?
Yet, the Old Magyars, ancestor of Hungarians (at least linguistically) were full-Mongoloid looking:

A reconstitution based on bones and rests of vestimentation from tombs of early Magyars in Hungary:

Source:

https://translate.google.ro/translat...%2F&edit-text=

Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
that is bek we make a distinction between pro and amateur, they dont.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:38 PM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Yet, the Old Magyars, ancestor of Hungarians (at least linguistically) were full-Mongoloid looking:

A reconstitution based on bones and rests of vestimentation from tombs of early Magyars in Hungary:

Source:

https://translate.google.ro/translat...%2F&edit-text=

That's not a very attractive look either - straight from steppes of Central Asia or something...))))

Old 12-06-2014, 11:35 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,029,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's not a very attractive look either - straight from steppes of Central Asia or something...))))
i don't get it, even if they're mongols then so what? genchis khan, who is perhaps the best known mongol had the biggest empire in history (despite what english claim that their empire was 1 km bigger or so... .

Here's history though, to prove connection between hungary, bulgaria and mongols:

"The Dulo Clan or the House of Dulo was the ruling Bulgar dynasty,[1] of states in various parts of eastern Europe, including Magna Hungaria (until the 13th century), Patria Onoguria (from 460 CE), and Old Great Bulgaria (c. 632 CE). Attila the Hun was reputedly descended from the founding ancestor of the Dulo clan, a "Maeotian" king.[2] The Nominalia of the Bulgarian Khans names this ancestor as Avitohol.[3]"

and here is the Hun/Mongol connection:

"Huns
These Asiatic horse warriors are understood to have originated from the Ordos region of Mongolia. Usually identified as the Hsiung-nu (Xiongnu) people in contemporary Chinese records, they may not have formed this peoples directly, but could have been part of a temporary confederation. For whatever reason (probably population pressure on traditional hunting grounds) they began a migration towards the west in the fourth century. In the 360s, they left Scythia (also known as Samartia), the plains to the north of the Black Sea which reached as far as the Caspian Sea."

if it's still not clear, the best guess these days is that the Xiognu left mongolia back in the days in hopes of attacking the roman empire in europe and stealing their gold. They made Budapest their capital as some other user here mentioned...then they divided further between bulgaria, hungary and ukraine. Of course bulgaria and ukraine have other presences too: slavic, celtic, tatar, germanic.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:35 AM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
i don't get it, even if they're mongols then so what?
Not a very positive association, the whole area, that's what))))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVjKfffsCKk

Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I visited countries in just about every continent, including Ireland and I don't think Hungary stood out as a place full of people trying to rip you off
its an incredibly corrupt country , hardly anyone pays any tax if they can avoid it , everyone from taxi drivers to people who offer professional services are pretty brazen in their attempts to swindle you ( and the goverment )

Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,246,688 times
This kind of logic is always skewed towards smaller countries. Liechtenstein has a ratio of 54 medals per million people because it won 2 gold medals in the entire history of the Olympics. On the other hand, China would have to win 4000 gold medals just to be on par with the US, Britain or France.

That said, Hungary's results in the Olympics are certainly impressive. I think we (the Netherlands) have nothing to be ashamed about ourselves either

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Probably because Hungary was an Eastern Bloc country that hugely subsidized Olympics athletes in sports most countries don't care about (in order to strategically run up the metals totals- more efficient to put millions in discus and synchronized swimming, foolish to put millions in basketball or soccer which are unwinable, and you only receive one medal for the win anyways.

Why was East Germany the most successful team in world Olympics history, on a per capita basis? Same reason, essentially, but they took it even further.
Hungary won 25 gold medals in swimming, 19 in wrestling, 15 in gymnastics and 10 in athletics and boxing. Not exactly minor international sports. They also won more gold medals than any other country in team sports like water polo and football (soccer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe