Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, in those times there wasn't a nation on earth that Britain couldn't win in a war.

The UK won China as well many times. And France.
With modern firepower. And drugs, haha! The Mongols won with bows and arrows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
With modern firepower. And drugs, haha! The Mongols won with bows and arrows.
That's true, but hey, use technology in your advance. The Mongols' bows and body armour were state of the art things back then, far superior to Western clumsy knights with steel plate.

The theme of the empires were also very different. Britain established colonies and dominions, while the Mongols were nomads who roamed from area the area killing and destroying everything in their path. So the Mongol Empire was merely an area which submitted and paid tribute, and they wouldn't bother you as long as you paid.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:22 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,894 times
By the times Mongols arrived to Europe, during the times of Attila or Etzel in Germanic, most of his men were more Slav and Germanic that anything else. Just like many American Indians that are white.

Attila, as described by Priscus, does look like a Turk more than a mongol.

Plus the fact that Huns that arrived in Europe were Turkic, not as the huns living in Mongolia that are Mongolians.

Magyars are not related to Huns, but to Finnish and Lapos.

Attila and Army was more European than anything else, the official languages of the army was Latin, Germaninc and Hun. Attila's culture was western.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Magyars are not related to Huns, but to Finnish and Lapos.
No, they are not. The Hungarians are related to their neighbouring countries, while Finns are related to their.

This is quite natural.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,566,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
By the times Mongols arrived to Europe, during the times of Attila or Etzel in Germanic, most of his men were more Slav and Germanic that anything else. Just like many American Indians that are white.
I was prepared to reply and tell you're wrong but checked Wikipedia and found that Huns apparently spoke a satem language related to Dacian and Slavic. Possibly, they were the Dacians, who disappear sudden from literary sources just before the apparition of Huns.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,622,674 times
Re: 'Magyars related to Finnish and Lapos...no...Hungarians are related to their neighboring countries while Finns are related to theirs'..

You know as far as 'relating' the sources I am aware about note that when it comes to the Finns the relationship is primarily along language namely the Finno-Ugric group. At one time I usually thought I had a little 'Finn' in me but I don't think that's the case. Magyars are supposedly of the Ugrian people's but I believe historians still aren't sure if they came from east or west of the Urals...that is Europe or Asia.

That whole Carpathian basin was certainly a mish mosh of people's constantly going through on to someplace else through those earlier epochs. With descriptions and labels put on peoples known and unknown it's amazing that any locked-down history gets done on this aspect. Anyway anybody who studies all this needs to be versed in many disciplines encompassing a range of fields. The history is extremely complicated.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:56 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,566,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
i don't get it, even if they're mongols then so what? genchis khan, who is perhaps the best known mongol had the biggest empire in history (despite what english claim that their empire was 1 km bigger or so... .
The problem was that the guy was calling others "Asian" and "Mongoloid".

In other order of ideas, because I made some posts that may make someone think that I'm the average Hungarian-hater Romanian, I want to say that I am not. I'm in the favor of autonomy of Szekely Land (the Hungarian enclave in the middle of Romania) and even for the unification of Romania and Hungary in a single state, that will allow both ethnicities to enjoy the common heritage of Transylvania.

I do not consider the Romanians "autochthonous" and the Hungarians "migratory", as often Romanians take pride to describe the two nations. I'm sure that genetic tests would show both populations have identical genetic background in similar areas and only the language differs, because overtime individuals from the two groups interrmaried and assimilated into the opposite group, like it happens everywhere in the world where two or more ethnicities cohexist.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I quite liked it, I loved the food, the fact that I AM IN EUROPE and not in some multicultural US style hole like london or paris that at times does not feel like Europe anymore.
I enjoyed the feeling overall
Interesting thread about Hungary and sports (Olympics). I had never thought of this subject before.

Hungary was one of my favorite countries in Europe I had visited. I thought the Hungarians were friendly and generally welcoming. Outside Budapest and its environs, there are not so many worthy tourist attractions within Hungary. Personally, I really enjoyed how exotic the Hungarian language was given that it's not Indo-European in origin unlike those of its neighbors.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'Magyars related to Finnish and Lapos...no...Hungarians are related to their neighboring countries while Finns are related to theirs'..
Learning to use the 'quote' button would bring you far in what you really are trying to say to whom. The button is in the right corner.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:28 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
I was prepared to reply and tell you're wrong but checked Wikipedia and found that Huns apparently spoke a satem language related to Dacian and Slavic. Possibly, they were the Dacians, who disappear sudden from literary sources just before the apparition of Huns.

When Romans, Aecio, Gala Pacidia, etc, visited Hunnish Camps they were very surprised because they all spoke Latin, and their culture was Latin, but he also mentioned that they spoke Germanic and Hunnish. They were surprised by the large number of Romans living the hunnish way.

Since Huns in Europe, that were Turkic, had been living as marrying Slavics and Germans, they were mostly European.

I think that Attilia was a Roman hostage, so he was raised like a Roman, I think. There's a description...flat nose, sallow skin, small eyes.

I don't know what happened to Huns, since they have not anything to do with Hungary and Magyars.

When Aecius and Ostrogiths defeated them, they returned to the east.

There are also tribes of barbarians that were turkics like huns, the avars, the alans, they migrated alongside with Germanics. Visigoths traveled with Alans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe