Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 AM

70 posts, read 172,521 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest so don't get offended

West Slavic languages

Czech sounds like baby talk (like when you are talking to children)

Polish sounds like someone's talking through his teeth (Å Å¡)

Slovak sounds completely normal (surprisingly similar to southern Slavic languages)

East Slavic languages

Ukrainian sounds a lot like Serbian attempting to speak Russian (at least when it comes to western part of Ukrainian)

Russian sounds very pleasant but also very funny with very emphasized accent although very soft sounding

I have no experience with Belarusian

and now for the South Slavic languages (there is too much to explain in one post) every region of former Yugoslavia has its own particular accent or pronunciation and with it certain associations and stereotypes

Slovenians practically yodel while talking of course there are certain stereotypes that accompany that accent/pronunciation (because they were always very progressive Slovenes are often associated with gays but there are also other associations/connotations, mainly concerning "loose women" and stinginess )

Croatian varies drastically for example, Dalmatian has a very particular accent and pronunciation and can be quite difficult to understand, northern Croatian can be quite irritating but also very "sophisticated" while Slavonian ("Pannonian" Croatian) is very close to Vojvodina Serbian and can be very funny as they speak very very slowly and have a habit of drawning-out sentences (same for Vojvodina Serbian)

language spoken in Bosnia and Herzegovina is ridiculously funny because of pronunciation and accent but also because of various associations/connotations! Of course Bosnians were always the most rewarding for jokes (stereotype is that they are not very blessed with intelligence)

language spoken in Montenegro sounds very rough and distorted of course it doesn't help that everyone is yelling while talking

but by far the funniest are Bulgarian, Macedonian and southern Serbian/"Torlakian"

since they have only two cases (if I remember correctly) and very primitive "simplified" grammar it literally sounds like caveman talk ("my name Miško, what your name")

Macedonian and southern Serbian are still largely intelligible (they sound like someone with a serious speech impediment) but i would say Bulgarian is even funnier because it is full of archaisms (since it remained relatively isolated from "common Yugoslavian" vocabulary)

again please don't take offense, what I'm saying is not meant to be malicious but in the spirit of this topic

BTW how dose our "Å tokavian" sound to Bulgarians, is Serbian-Croatian funny sounding to you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 07:23 AM

30 posts, read 44,247 times
I speak Slovak natively.

Polish - sounds funny to me regardless of what is being said. I have a hard time keeping a straight face whenever I hear this language It's mad.

Czech - sounds mostly neutral to me now but I remember I used to think that it sounds really ugly back when I was a child. I think I've gotten used to it somehow. At times I find its intonation patterns still somewhat annoying and as if "silly" and "clownish", but at other times, when heard "live" (in real life, from a real person - not on TV or from some other media) I find it kind of cool and even exotic (the accent )

Slovene - kind of neutral, sounds similar to other south Slavic languages

Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegrin - kind of rough sounding and "throaty" (?) - my impression is that they speak with lower voices and in a somewhat throaty manner (compared to Slovaks or Czechs). The intonation is often quite bizarre and surprising.

Bulgarian - sounds rather neutral (to my surprise)

Russian - very distinct and beautiful sounding

Ukrainian - similar to Russian, also rather beautiful sounding

Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko View Post

BTW how dose our "Å tokavian" sound to Bulgarians, is Serbian-Croatian funny sounding to you??
Hah, it always amazes me how Serbs, Macedonians etc. say bulgarian is using "old words" when in bulgaria people usually think the Serbs and macedonians use 'archaic' words .

Overall I actually like how Serbs place the stress usually in the beginning of the words which sounds better compared to bulgarian when the stress is usually in the middle/end of the word - similar to russian i suppose? However, yes, the words used often sound funny compared to bulgarian, especially in macedonian though as macedonian is closer compared to serbian, but a few examples:

Dobro Veche (Dobur Vecher in bulgarian)
Pa Da ("Puck Da"...in bulgarian)
TakO e (taka e)
Kako e (Kak e)
Nema mene, nema tebe (niama teb(e), niama men(e).

For example saying "nema" or "pa" or "dobro" is considered slang in bulgarian....like street slang used by thugs/hooligans or people from the most western parts of bulgaria and macedonian.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 PM

257 posts, read 518,128 times
Polish - Most Czechs find a language of our northern neighbours quite funny but I know for sure that this feeling is mutual. For example in Polish there is a word "szukat" and it means "to look for something". However in Czech it means "to f..k". I remember when I was in Spain, I had a conversation with a Polish guy and he told me: "Ja szukam Malgorzatu" (I am looking for Malgorzata). In my language he told me that he f..ks Malgorzata. I remember I just replied "Congratulations".

Slovak - Most people find Slovak quite beautiful. I personally love Slovak women speaking their language. However when I hear speaking Slovak men, I do not why, but I always see a bunch of peasants. No offense. And Czechs and Slovaks can understand each other without problems. Basically 95 percent of words are the same. What is different is pronunciation and accent.

Russian - to me it sounds really rough. I do not understand too much and unlike Polish, I am not able to follow even basic conversation. I mean sometimes I am but it is much more difficult.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:25 PM

70 posts, read 172,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Hah, it always amazes me how Serbs, Macedonians etc. say bulgarian is using "old words" when in bulgaria people usually think the Serbs and macedonians use 'archaic' words .

Overall I actually like how Serbs place the stress usually in the beginning of the words which sounds better compared to bulgarian when the stress is usually in the middle/end of the word - similar to russian i suppose? However, yes, the words used often sound funny compared to bulgarian, especially in macedonian though as macedonian is closer compared to serbian, but a few examples:

Dobro Veche (Dobur Vecher in bulgarian)
Pa Da ("Puck Da"...in bulgarian)
TakO e (taka e)
Kako e (Kak e)
Nema mene, nema tebe (niama teb(e), niama men(e).

For example saying "nema" or "pa" or "dobro" is considered slang in bulgarian....like street slang used by thugs/hooligans or people from the most western parts of bulgaria and macedonian.
we use Dobro veče (more Serbian) or Dobra večer (more Croatian) interchangeably

but while I was in Bulgaria I've used "Dobar večer" (which is also used but is grammatically incorrect and uncommon)

I remember when I used "dobro, dobro" ("fine, fine") in Bulgaria they just looked at me and laughed

Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 AM

30 posts, read 44,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
However when I hear speaking Slovak men, I do not why, but I always see a bunch of peasants. No offense.
Hmm, could be stereotyping. I often get a similar impression of the Czech people from some old Czech films - as kind of (no offense meant) rustic hillbillies with beer bellies or the like, e.g. like in this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFafVyq-2dE

Last edited by Skylarr; 12-10-2014 at 05:13 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 05:58 AM

257 posts, read 518,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr View Post
Hmm, could be stereotyping. I often get a similar impression of the Czech people from some old Czech films - as kind of (no offense meant) rustic hillbillies with beer bellies or the like, e.g. like in this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFafVyq-2dE

No offense taken

Old 12-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Pov

46 posts, read 78,341 times
Most of Slavic languages sound too soft especially russian language
I almost hate russian sorry
I hate when in the books and films there is russian hitman trying to look badass
French is soft too but in a different way
It is subjective-depends on the listener

Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko View Post
we use Dobro veče (more Serbian) or Dobra večer (more Croatian) interchangeably

but while I was in Bulgaria I've used "Dobar večer" (which is also used but is grammatically incorrect and uncommon)

I remember when I used "dobro, dobro" ("fine, fine") in Bulgaria they just looked at me and laughed
In Russian "dobro" is a normal good word. It means "fine", "good", "kindness" depending on the context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe