Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 AM

217 posts, read 277,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Holy sh*t girl, you're so full of anger, calm down.
I agree with some of your comments but overall I must say you're grossly overreacting.
Most immigrants DO integrate into the societies they choose to live in and most normal people don't exclude them for the single fact that they're immigrants. I'm an immigrant myself and I don't think I've ever faced that kind of discrimination or segregation you're talking about. Almost all of my friends (and they're numerous, definetely not just "some" as you suggest) are natives of this country I'm living in right now and I find it very easy to make friends and even find people who turn out to be "more than friends" (if you catch my drift) here.
I'm not sure where you live but to me it sounds like you live in some sort of bubble of ignorance and prejudice.
Thats what i was thinking. Ironically enough i thought she sounded very Italian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnEurope View Post
I take it Julia is from Italy.

Personally as someone living in Stockholm but having spent a lot of time with Italians living both here and Italy (obviously), I can with ease say that Northern and Southern Europe are not worlds apart. Actually I think we are a lot more alike than some people might feel comfortable understanding.
I can agree. I haven't lived in Italy, but I've been there, and met Italians here in Finland. Immigrants, exchange students and one of my high-school mates was Finnish-Italian. No problem getting in tune at all, on the contrary, I've felt that Italians have been a bit shy. And isn't that a bit much coming from Northern Europe? Same with Spanish. My good friend's wife is Spanish, and never any cultural clashes, but more like laughing over a glass of wine or beer discussing the differences. I was at their wedding in Spain, and the biggest cultural difference was that they liked crayfish more that we Finns did.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't think any of us Northern Europeans consider France Southern Europe.
Maybe but that a fact that France is not limited to its northernmost third where Paris is...
85% of france is further than than the line that cut continental Europe in two halfs.

I know that northern Europeans can't understand that France is way more in southern Europe than with northern Europe. Obviously in language, catholic derived-culture, messy attitudes, wine culture, etc but also in latitude. Compared with UK, Germany, italy and Spain the country that share most common latitude with France is Italy. 60% of France is located at similar latitudes as Italy. If france is not at all in southern Europe then most of Italy should not be either... Only places south of Rome should be maybe...

Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM

662 posts, read 1,008,653 times
France reach the latitude of my region tuscany; I would say half of Tuscany.. So France starts at the latitude of Tuscany and northern marche. Northern Italy is till the latitude of Half France yes.

Milan is a bit northernmost than Bordeaux.
Florence is at the same latitude as Arles.

Spain reaches the southern part of my region only with galicia

I invite you Frenchuser to part expiate at my discussion on parallel here in Europe forum.
On particular your impression on culture, vegetation, climate changing with latitude in france

So..my definition of north en european is people who live above parallel 45.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-21-2014 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Merge

Old 12-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
I can agree. I haven't lived in Italy, but I've been there, and met Italians here in Finland. Immigrants, exchange students and one of my high-school mates was Finnish-Italian. No problem getting in tune at all, on the contrary, I've felt that Italians have been a bit shy. And isn't that a bit much coming from Northern Europe? Same with Spanish. My good friend's wife is Spanish, and never any cultural clashes, but more like laughing over a glass of wine or beer discussing the differences. I was at their wedding in Spain, and the biggest cultural difference was that they liked crayfish more that we Finns did.
We Spaniards, and also French, Portuguese and Italian people tend to be shy and quiet with strange people, like people of central and north of Europe are.
I mean we aren't outgoing louder kinda people like for instance people of Central America or Africa are.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Maybe but that a fact that France is not limited to its northernmost third where Paris is...
85% of france is further than than the line that cut continental Europe in two halfs.

I know that northern Europeans can't understand that France is way more in southern Europe than with northern Europe. Obviously in language, catholic derived-culture, messy attitudes, wine culture, etc but also in latitude. Compared with UK, Germany, italy and Spain the country that share most common latitude with France is Italy. 60% of France is located at similar latitudes as Italy. If france is not at all in southern Europe then most of Italy should not be either... Only places south of Rome should be maybe...
France is Central Europe, and the best mix of Northern and Southern Europe. Do you want to look at the latitude once more? Vallée d'Aoste is the northernmost part of Italy, and Bordeaux is just a bit more south. I have a very hard time to think that Picardie, Normandie, Bretagne, Île-de-France, Centre, Champagne, Bourgogne, Lorraine, Alsace, Calais, Bourgogne, Franche-Comté, Poitou, Auvergne or Rhône-Alpes to be Southern Europe.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
We Spaniards, and also French, Portuguese and Italian people tend to be shy and quiet with strange people, like people of central and north of Europe are.
I mean we aren't outgoing louder kinda people like for instance people of Central America or Africa are.
That's quite natural, and we are the same. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why Northerners are depicted as very introvert and shy, as they just don't feel comfortable until you break the ice. And here in icyland it takes a bit longer to break it.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:53 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
That's quite natural, and we are the same. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why Northerners are depicted as very introvert and shy, as they just don't feel comfortable until you break the ice. And here in icyland it takes a bit longer to break it.
Well, maybe we southern Europeans are a bit louder and extrovert when talking to our relatives and friends, but, as I said before, we tend to be shy and introvert with strange people, like you northeners do.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:41 PM

285 posts, read 301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia90 View Post
Yes..talk I talk with every one.. In train if a sit next to an immigrant if he/she seems interested with me to start a conversation. I talk. I ve talked to Indians, North Africans, Albanians, senegaleses ecc.. I ve know what works they do.. And other things.

Integration is another think. I don't believe in integration with this mass inmigration here. I don t like the society is turning out in my country.
ahaha as expected your last sentence exposed you... all those things you said about people in your country discriminating immigrants in every single way of life are not facts at all, actually that's what YOU wish would happen.
I myself have several Italians friends that I met when attempting to learn Italian, two of them have actually invited to visit them in Rome and I was treated amazingly, made friends with their friends, explored Rome's nightlife and all with them, despite my broken Italian mind you. Oh yea, may I tell you that I'm not European nor 100% white skinned...
I get it that Immigrants that come from very unstable and culturally extremely different countries might generate immigrants that are unwilling to adapt to European standards and as such generate some kind of animosity among the native population of the country but not all immigrants are like that neither is open discrimination against immigrants the norm in any western-european country, italy included.
Such xenophobia is funny coming from an Italian, considering that Italy throughout its history has always been a country of migrants (you can find Italian Immigrants and its descendants all over Europe and America) and that's a trend that had only been reverted in recent years and surprise surprise it didn't last long as Italy is back to being an Immigrant-sending nation

Perhaps you should check this article out and learn more about your country's current demographic trends before switching to a xenophobic speech:
Anche gli stranieri lasciano l'Italia | Lavorare all'Estero
Enjoy!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:34 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,267,455 times
Quote:
France is Central Europe, and the best mix of Northern and Southern Europe. Do you want to look at the latitude once more? Vallée d'Aoste is the northernmost part of Italy, and Bordeaux is just a bit more south. I have a very hard time to think that Picardie, Normandie, Bretagne, Île-de-France, Centre, Champagne, Bourgogne, Lorraine, Alsace, Calais, Bourgogne, Franche-Comté, Poitou, Auvergne or Rhône-Alpes to be Southern Europe.

Nobody said that Picardy, Normandy, Lorraine or Alsace were geographically in southern Europe. But look at a map, those northernmost french regions are certainly not in northern Europe neither. At best they are sort of "centralish" (Paris, wich is in the northernmost quarter part of the country is lined with Munich or Vienna) Those places are quite centralish in Europe. Northern Europe really begans north of Brussels, Cologne, Prague, etc. 100% of France is located south of northern Europe.

France lies geographically in both "centralish" Europe and southern Europe (I do not say "central Europe" because it would means also been central on a east-west scale.

France is not limited to the regions of the northern half. Where I live (which is in the northern half of France, way further north Bordeaux, I'm about at the northermost latitude of Italy (which is not At Bordeaux latitude but more Nantes,s one). Two of the 4 biggest Italian cities (included Milan, The biggest Italian urban area) are furthern north than Bordeaux...

If you have a very hard time to consider Poitou-Charentes, Auvergne or Rhone Alpes to be southern Europe, then logically you should also have very hard time to include all the areas of Italy located north of Tuscany to be southern European either (those areas include the most populated areas of Italy and many of the most emblematically Italian cities: Venice, Verona, Padova, Turin, Milan, Parma, Bologna, etc. Which are the major economic and also cultural heart of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe