Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia90 View Post
One thing that catched my attention..
This summer at Elba island, there was this family of dutch with many childrens..
Well the beach was one with rock and I and many people were doing snorkeling.
The parents of this children encouraged them to go snorkeling very far from the beach..where they didn t touch with their foots.
This were really small childrens of maximum 8 years..and the Smallest had no more than 4 years.. An Italian mum could never let them go this far away without parents.. That s really dangerous.

Another day in another each there was a German family..the parents watching their children diving between the rocks..very dangerous.. The rocks were near each others..and the children's could have hit their head on the rocks.

I don t understand Theese behaviors.
If you think these are stereotypical behaviors, they are not. Just irresponsible parents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 PM

662 posts, read 1,008,653 times
^well i have a feeling these behaviours are rooted in their culture..

An italian mum..would watch sight by sight its childrens..and would go with them to bath if they want to swam in the sea..while this Dutch..were on the sands..and tier childrens 800m far from the river..

Old 12-24-2014, 05:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia90 View Post
An italian mum..would watch sight by sight its childrens..and would go with them to bath if they want to swam in the sea..while this Dutch..were on the sands..and tier childrens 800m far from the river..
Well, as an Italian mum don't let her kids out of her sight even when they are 40, I'm not surprised at all.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:29 AM

18 posts, read 24,139 times
Quote:
well i have a feeling these behaviours are rooted in their culture..
Though Dutch parents tend to be less protective than their Italian counterparts, as a Dutchman, i can assure you that this kind of behaviour will be considered as irresponsible by Dutch people aswell.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:11 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, as an Italian mum don't let her kids out of her sight even when they are 40, I'm not surprised at all.

Some Germans had the habit of letting children alone, survive by themselves, it might be some leftover of some nazi theory..and I'm talking of many years ago. I remember taking a German kid that was drowning and puking bilis out of the water, and the parents were drunk while sunbathing.

Scandinavians also had those theories, I don't quite remember the name of the theory, some theory emanating from "social darwinism" that said that dumb and inferior kids will die if they are stupid, so the best is to let them die if they are stupid. There was a similar fascist theory around here, but never went out out OJE, or Nacional-Sindicalist Youth.

I have seen that theory in some American movies.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Scandinavians also had those theories, I don't quite remember the name of the theory, some theory emanating from "social darwinism" that said that dumb and inferior kids will die if they are stupid, so the best is to let them die if they are stupid. There was a similar fascist theory around here, but never went out out OJE, or Nacional-Sindicalist Youth.

I have seen that theory in some American movies.
Never heard anything like that.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
Some Germans had the habit of letting children alone, survive by themselves, it might be some leftover of some nazi theory..and I'm talking of many years ago. I remember taking a German kid that was drowning and puking bilis out of the water, and the parents were drunk while sunbathing.
This remind me of last month in Germany, I saw a baby carriage parked outside a school with a baby inside crying alone, I found it so strange and not so normal... never seen this before, but I read a book last year about a story located in Sweden and leaving children alone outside shops/schools/etc while parents do other things seems quite normal. I wouldn't do it.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:12 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,280,270 times
Quote:
Some Germans had the habit of letting children alone, survive by themselves, it might be some leftover of some nazi theory..and I'm talking of many years ago.
You mean like the Middle Ages?

Old 12-26-2014, 12:09 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,196,027 times
Yes, we got the concept here in Norway. I guess it dates back to the Nazi occupation. It is bascially "survival of the fittest". I am surprised that Italians do not have it.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:41 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, we got the concept here in Norway. I guess it dates back to the Nazi occupation. It is bascially "survival of the fittest". I am surprised that Italians do not have it.
Are you serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe