Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM

363 posts, read 482,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoiselle View Post
WOC = women of color.

Will elaborate later. I'll be back.
I dont know the answer to Your question, but one thing I know is that white French men are more attracted to SOC than white american men.

SOC = snails of color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,521,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoiselle View Post
I say this because I noticed many white American men to be more reluctant to comment on, or appreciate a WOC's beauty except if she is a white-washed mestiza with a thin body or a Northeast Asian woman. When I went to France I saw more French men dating ladies of different races than American ones. Based on my interactions with French men and American men I'd still think the same is true. Has anyone noticed this?
There are greater things than racial make-up. Culture plays a greater role, in the way people act. Perhaps the reason why you saw perhaps white French men dating people of other races, is because of the way they relate to each other. The way, a black person might relate to a white person in France is totally different from the way they might relate in America, see. A french person who is black might have more common with another white person than with a black person in America. See, it's all about different culture and approach to things.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,848,329 times
European countries with an African colonial history tend to be less racist than the US. So it is more natural to see mixed-race relationships than in the US, where there is still that huge race problem.

Black women in Europe tend to look better as well, as they are not as likely to be fat as in the US.
Also, they mingle better, speak the same language, and don't try to be different from native Europeans. In the US many black people speak a kind of English that white people don't like to hear (and which frankly suggests a lack of education, i.e. low social standing, which makes the speaker unattractive), and there is that constant potential for trouble and aggression as people are just waiting for racist incidents.

I know those are generalizations and there are exceptions, but still...

Old 01-23-2015, 03:15 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,452,506 times
I think the interracial relationship taboo is much stronger in the US than it is in France, especially when it comes to black/white relationships. Probably a hang-up from the Jim Crow era.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
European countries with an African colonial history tend to be less racist than the US. So it is more natural to see mixed-race relationships than in the US, where there is still that huge race problem.

Black women in Europe tend to look better as well, as they are not as likely to be fat as in the US.
Also, they mingle better, speak the same language, and don't try to be different from native Europeans. In the US many black people speak a kind of English that white people don't like to hear (and which frankly suggests a lack of education, i.e. low social standing, which makes the speaker unattractive), and there is that constant potential for trouble and aggression as people are just waiting for racist incidents.

I know those are generalizations and there are exceptions, but still...
No, there are plenty of extremely beautiful Black American like Vanessa Williams, Beyonce Knowles, Kerry Washington, Jada Pinkett Smith and many more. English is their mother tongue, but obviously as everywhere there are different accents, dialects. In the south for example, Black American developed a very rich and expressive form of English, they are very eloquent. In terms, there is no other single group which has impacted the American culture as the Black Americans. It's also because of the achievements of Black Americans that many Black or other Africans came to be respected elsewhere in the world. Now the difference was that, in America, there is the history of racial segregation similar to Apartheid. At one time, Blacks and Whites were not allowed to fellowship together, but lived separately even they were living in the same town. As segregation laws were repealed, this changed progressively until today where I see many mixed-couples. However the case is not the same with Europeans! French were not forced to live separately from Black or other people by law, some choose too, but it's a personal basis not by law. So the racial picture is there, but quite in the same angle as in the U.S.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,495,925 times
To suggest that White American men are not as interested in Black American women as White French men are in Black French women because Black American women are more likely to be fat is not only wrong... it is wrong on so many levels.

People in America are capable, and do, fall in love with one another regardless of race and body type. There are a million factors that go into the ratio of racial intermarriage.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
No, there are plenty of extremely beautiful Black American like Vanessa Williams, Beyonce Knowles, Kerry Washington, Jada Pinkett Smith and many more. English is their mother tongue, but obviously as everywhere there are different accents, dialects. In the south for example, Black American developed a very rich and expressive form of English, they are very eloquent. In terms, there is no other single group which has impacted the American culture as the Black Americans. It's also because of the achievements of Black Americans that many Black or other Africans came to be respected elsewhere in the world. Now the difference was that, in America, there is the history of racial segregation similar to Apartheid. At one time, Blacks and Whites were not allowed to fellowship together, but lived separately even they were living in the same town. As segregation laws were repealed, this changed progressively until today where I see many mixed-couples. However the case is not the same with Europeans! French were not forced to live separately from Black or other people by law, some choose too, but it's a personal basis not by law. So the racial picture is there, but quite in the same angle as in the U.S.

But most black women don't look like those singers or actresses.

In Europe many black immigrants (except refugees, but they don't really mingle with natives anyway) are from the African elite, so they have the money to take care of themselves. and they are educated. I see it here all the time with Angolan women in Portugal. They look very good on average, probably way above the average in Angola herself.
In the US however there is the full spectrum and most look mediocre at best.

I don't agree at all with the sentence in blue, I don't see that happening.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But most black women don't look like those singers or actresses.

In Europe many black immigrants (except refugees, but they don't really mingle with natives anyway) are from the African elite, so they have the money to take care of themselves. and they are educated. I see it here all the time with Angolan women in Portugal. They look very good on average, probably way above the average in Angola herself.
In the US however there is the full spectrum and most look mediocre at best.

I don't agree at all with the sentence in blue, I don't see that happening.
I see there is a lot of things, you don't know about America, there are plenty of black women even much more beautiful, gorgeous than the actresses and singers, I have just named. Many of them are not from the wealthy, but from the regular middle-class American areas. I mean very beautiful, in my humble opinion the only other country where I saw such beautiful and black women is in Brazil and Columbia, in Africa I'd say Ethiopia. The African elite, you're talking about represents less than 5% of the total population which lives for the most part lives in extreme poverty. The problem is not about looking good see, is the way people relate to each other. I believe and I know that there are beautiful people in all races. Racial relations in Europe are different from those in America. In my travels, I saw that Black Americans standard of living is way above that of other Africans in general. Even those who think that they are so poor in America are way better than other poor Africans who are in Europe and elsewhere. Yes, the achievements of many African-Americans in many fields (Science, Music, Sports, etc...), improved the image of black people over-all, the stereotypical image the most Europeans and other white people had of blacks. Black people were depicted as barbarians, strong brutes, mere humans, others weren't as far to depict them as monkeys and other horrible things. Portugal was actually the first European power to bring black people as slaves to the New World. The Portuguese at one time renowned mighty sailors. Ever since the image of black people to whites/Europeans was a negative one. Since you said that you were German, the black American athlete who defied the Nazi white supremacists in the Olympic Games of 1936 was called Jesse Owens by outperforming the other "Aryan" athletes. I could go on and on about Black American achievements. Aren't black soccer players in some Eastern and Central European, still get banana peels thrown at them and "monkey noises"?

Last edited by saxonwold; 01-24-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Some of those singers and actresses you mentioned are not even considered black in countries like Brazil, but mulattoes.

That is what I said, in the US you have the full spectrum, from poor to wealthy, and it shows in the way people look (and looks are important in terms of attraction, which is the topic after all) because there often is a strong correlation. After all, AA's are mostly of West African origin, thus there is the same spectrum in the US or Brazil as there is in Nigeria etc. I know Brazil, there are a lot of not so good looking black women as well, not just the beauties you see in telenovelas or on the beach.

In Europe however often only the African elite are allowed in, not unlike African immigrants in the US. There is hardly any poverty immigration from Africa as there is strong raisin picking and brain drain going on these days. I am not defending that at all, just observing. Actually, I am against that.

Nor do I agree with your observation about AA achievements. Unfortunately they are still only known for music and sports. Ask any white European, Asian, or even American for any scientific achievements made by AA's and you probably won't get any answer. I am not saying there are none, but people don't know about them, hence science has not contributed to or improved the reputation of AA's at all in my view. What has helped the most in this respect is Jazz music as it is considered sophisticated and strongly associated with AA's,

Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM

545 posts, read 870,012 times
Things are changing quickly in the US. This country may have blacks since much longer than France, segregation and institutionalized racism is not so old. In the end, it's been only 50 years since white and black americans can really mix. And during the centuries before both communities had time to develop their own culture inside the same country. While most blacks in France joined the mainstream culture (which is French). In my opinion, this is the only difference. I don't think French are more attracted to "woc". Each man have its own preference, short, tall, blonde, black, and so on. But almost everyone want a soulmate with whom he can relate, culture is quite important. But as I said the US is changing, with a new growing black middle class and mainstream medias accustoming the population to mixed couples, I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years the US have much more mixed couple than France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe