Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 10:04 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,894,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No Europe is NOT like Japan.Japan is a country not a continent.
Once again you cannot pillage the world over and get what you want and expect that their would not be consequences.
Had Europe not ventured out of its immediate area,then it would be more like Japan.
Norway? Sweden? Poland? Denmark? Finland?
If we mean Imperialism, then Belgium, UK and France alone cover 90 % of colonialism in terms of size, victims, lasting and effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:00 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,960,088 times
Quote:
Had Europe not ventured out of its immediate area,then it would be more like Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Norway? Sweden? Poland? Denmark? Finland?
If we mean Imperialism, then Belgium, UK and France alone cover 90 % of colonialism in terms of size, victims, lasting and effects.
Afonega said it right I think. Countries like ours take in the most immigrants but we are not the ones that share the most racist views...
Let the job opportunities be taken up, why are they free in the first place?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,492,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So if Europeans are more interested in other cultures why do immigrants have an easier time achieving upward mobility in the USA when compared to Europe?
Are you sure this is true? At least in Finland it's much easier to get rich than in America.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,830,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
European success is due to a series of factors: an unparalleled continuous state of warfare which caused an extreme need of "being better than your opponent", better climatic conditions, better adaptation to diseases carried by cattle and domestic animals, historical factors etc.
Please notice that nowhere is mentioned anything regarding race or racial superiority, so that to clear that, in my humble opinion, race was NEVER a factor.
Now, Europe began to become superiour to its foes far before Imperialism, around 1500's European countries gradually developed the scientific revolution and the modern notion of "nation" which seeded the way European countries became so strong.
True, Europe (and the US) benefited and still benefit (or better, multinationals and companies largely benefited and benefit) from resources placed outside Europe but how was then possible to conquer the world the way European did?
With resources from Africa? Most certainly not (also considering that coal, iron etc are largely from Europe itself) as Africa was conquered as a result of the superiority of European technology.
Sure, nowadays resources from Africa (Congo? Katanga?) are fundamental but giving all the "credit" (and please notice "") to those resources seems "unfair" (again "").
What Europe did was (and is) terrible and has still-lasting effects, nobody denies that.
We could argue that slavery, war, economic exploitation were done by all human beings and that Africans would have done the same, that's for sure but I do AGREE that this doesn't change the fault Europeans (and Americans and Japanese btw) have.
The world is Euro-centric because Europe created the modern world we all know today, that's undeniable and it can be seen by the sheer amount of inventions achieved by Europeans.
This doesn't mean saying that all other peoples are primitive barbarians living in huts, that would be riddiculous.
Yet, keeping on solely blame Europeans (and never Americans by the way, Lumumba?) isn't the solution.
Have Europeans faults? Undeniable, yet these faults cannot be used as an excuse.
Africa is hindered by many problems (uncountable different ethnic and linguistic groups, long history of tribal warfare, corruption, complete absence of a "modern nation concept" etc), some of them because of colonialism or modern actions of multinational companies, many not.
Asian and South American countries experienced colonialism, yet many Asian countries who experienced as much as brutal colonialism nowadays grow.
Now, back to the topic, I don't see how this topic is SO MUCH relevant to modern immigration.
Why should Denmark or Finland endure mass immigration? Which countries did they colonise?
Immigration is a resource, a vital one, in the right conditions: my father is an Algerian man who came to Italy in 1975, obtained a degree in Engineering, got married, learnt the language, had a son.
He speaks 5 languages, works and pays the taxes he owes.
He is a resource, an excellent one.
He hasn't lost his heritage: he still practices Muslim faith (well a softened version), speaks Arabic and Berber, sees Algerian TV, follows the political news etc.
The problem isn't this immigration, I wish more people like him came, the problem is when immigration is totally uncontrolled, illegal and massive.
This is not because "they steal our jobs/are filthy/ruin our race etc", this is because Europe is a small continent with 500 million people packed together.
This is because uncontrolled immigration is bringing a decrease of salaries, a growth of unemployment, a progressive destruction of our welfare state, an enormous increase of tensions due to ethnicity, religion and contrasting cultures.
I have never denied or even laid fault on anybody.My point is simply that many strides dating back to Egypt which was largely aided in its development by Nubia.

Africa has had problems from those you mentioned as well as things like natural phenomenon. So that point is not lost on me.However the tone of this thread has been decidedly biased as if Europe did not create the problems facing today.

Also I don't agree with one culture coming in and overwhelming the mainstream so much of your post should be geared towards someone else.However Europe's guilt has led them to allow their culture to be diminished.
That's something you will NEVER find in America.You are welcome to live as you wish but don't ever think you should be able to change the culture.
Regarding Denmark and Finland.i agree.Howevercollectively about Europe as a whole then it stands even if specifically we are not talking Denmark and Finland.

Your statement regarding much of Asia is still growing so why not Africa is flawed because Asia was never disrupted by the West like Africa was.
When did Asians become slavesby Europeans?When did Asia have its borders manipulated by putting different languages,religions,cultures,and customs in newly formed countries that made it convienient for Europeans as they did in Europe?
Asians were not split up and dispersed throughout the far regions of the world.

You ask what resources was taken from Africa?AFRICANS!.
If Asia had all the resources like gold,diamonds,and later oil,and different minerals,you could bet it would be worse today.Europe never invaded Asia.

South America is what it is because Europeans pretty much wiped out many of the indigenous people and the deccendants of those Europeans are pretty much to this day apart of the ruling class.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm just going to ignore the other posters in the thread and just converse with you.

What I hate is when someone is given new information that doesn't go into their sync instead of understanding this new information they just insult the information. I mean we're on the internet, why not research what we are saying and understand its not like its not the truth.
Lol.I know!Its in one ear out the other.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:08 PM

827 posts, read 635,070 times
Quote:
Lol.I know!Its in one ear out the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1
The fact that you don't know about Haiti is proof of your ignorance of the state of Africa.

Let's be honest.Preventing the spread of a disease that was probably created by the West is hardly because it is benevolent.
It seems you miss my post.
1 Haiti is not in Africa
2 What Haiti pay to France?
3 To prevent the spread, we can just stop all the plane who go or leave Africa. I regret that's not the choosen solution.

You hate us because you aren't us.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,960,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
1 Haiti is not in Africa
The only point I agree with

What makes you so superior that others want to be like you?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
1 Haiti is not in Africa
3 To prevent the spread, we can just stop all the plane who go or leave Africa. I regret that's not the choosen solution.

Actually thanks to my sneaky slave master who are my ancestors as much as the Africans who were enslaved, I could no more hate unless I hated myself and that I do not.
Now what ya got?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
1 Haiti is not in Africa

You miss my point.Haitians are largely Africans that was colonized by France.
Haiti paid the debt for their freedom after France lost to them.How does a people who were enslaved owe their former masters for decades for the cost of their own freedom.?
Haiti could never catch up.

Its one example of how Europe has completely dismantled any type of cohesive autonomous people to govern effectively.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Countries in Europe should be more assertive in keeping their cultures but at the same time welcome those who wish to adopt it as their own.
They largely do not.This why those immigrants want to use their own as the dominant culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe