Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,772,676 times

Advertisements

It is not a matter why Europe doesn't accept immigrants from the rest of the world, it is a matter about US is among one of the few countries that do.

The US, along with Canada and Australia, and maybe Singapore are the few countries that accept non-marriage based immigrants. I mean, who else does? Most of Europe doesn't (I think the UK does, at least used to have a point base system), Japan doesn't. Korea doesn't. The middle east doesn't. Russia and China don't. Hardly any country does as a matter of fact.

US/Canada/Australia are all new sparsely populated continents whose very existence originated from immigration, and therefore remain more open to immigration. There is nothing to complain about why certain nations don't accept immigrants. Countries don't have the duty to, and not accepting is the default choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM

8,880 posts, read 8,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not a matter why Europe doesn't accept immigrants from the rest of the world, it is a matter about US is among one of the few countries that do.

The US, along with Canada and Australia, and maybe Singapore are the few countries that accept non-marriage based immigrants. I mean, who else does? Most of Europe doesn't (I think the UK does, at least used to have a point base system), Japan doesn't. Korea doesn't. The middle east doesn't. Russia and China don't. Hardly any country does as a matter of fact.

US/Canada/Australia are all new sparsely populated continents whose very existence originated from immigration, and therefore remain more open to immigration. There is nothing to complain about why certain nations don't accept immigrants. Countries don't have the duty to, and not accepting is the default choice.
Spot on.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:32 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,458,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
...That is just so wrong! I hate when people say stuff ''oh I only go for Asians'' or ''I prefer light skin'' its just so wrong!
No, it isn't.

I am amazed that some people think that personal preferences are a MORAL issue upon which they can fairly and reasonably pass judgment.

They cannot. A moral or immoral stance or act is -- necessarily -- one based on choice. People do not choose what they like or love. They just like or love that thing.

Sorry that not everyone likes you. Grow up and get used to it!

Yes, liberals, leftists and race-card players -- it's YOU that I'm addressing here.

Last edited by dechatelet; 01-22-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM

I still don't understand why European countries will not admit educated, law-abiding and hard-working U.S. citizens as immigrants, but nevertheless have an immigration "problem." I also don't understand why the U.S. will not admit Europeans as immigrants, but nevertheless has an immigration "problem."

I'm not saying that there is NO migration between the U.S. and Europe/Britain/Scandinavia.

But there is very little compared to what there might be. And probably a lot less than would occur without restrictions that have been in place for as long as I can remember.

Americans love Europe, and many would like to become citizens of European countries, just as many Europeans would like to become American citizens.

Whatever the answer to this is, it no doubt has to do with decisions made by elites behind closed doors. Thank "globalism, cheap labor, multiculturalism."

Any thoughts on this from Europeans?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,363,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I still don't understand why European countries will not admit educated, law-abiding and hard-working U.S. citizens as immigrants, but nevertheless have an immigration "problem." I also don't understand why the U.S. will not admit Europeans as immigrants, but nevertheless has an immigration "problem."

I'm not saying that there is NO migration between the U.S. and Europe/Britain/Scandinavia.

But there is very little compared to what there might be. And probably a lot less than would occur without restrictions that have been in place for as long as I can remember.

Americans love Europe, and many would like to become citizens of European countries, just as many Europeans would like to become American citizens.

Whatever the answer to this is, it no doubt has to do with decisions made by elites behind closed doors. Thank "globalism, cheap labor, multiculturalism."

Any thoughts on this from Europeans?
I think it's funny that you apparently hold a grudge against multiculturalism and globalism, but support Americans migrating to Europe.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I think it's funny that you apparently hold a grudge against multiculturalism and globalism, but support Americans migrating to Europe.

As recently as 1965, at least 80% of the U.S. population was of European heritage. People of the same heritage migrating to each other's countries is not what I would consider multiculturalism or globalism.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,363,102 times
Quote:
As recently as 1965, at least 80% of the U.S. population was of European heritage. People of the same heritage migrating to each other's countries is not what I would consider multiculturalism or globalism.
Ah, the age old question whether third generation Irish-Americans are just like the Irish currently living on the Island.

Quite frankly, American immigrants would be just like immigrants from, say, Russia or Ukraine. Or even China or Turkey. They (probably) won't speak the language and their Irish/German/Navajo...-blood running through their veins won't bring them culturally closer to the country they decide to move to.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,847,696 times
Quote:
No, it isn't.

I am amazed that some people think that personal preferences are a MORAL issue upon which they can fairly and reasonably pass judgment.

They cannot. A moral or immoral stance or act is -- necessarily -- one based on choice. People do not choose what they like or love. They just like or love that thing.

Sorry that not everyone likes you. Grow up and get used to it!

Yes, liberals, leftists and race-card players -- it's YOU that I'm addressing here.
english speakers are obsessed with skin color, MY GOD!

Last edited by Irene-cd; 01-23-2015 at 04:04 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
please, the average white north American is as opposite to a European as opposite can be

I have never met people who struggle to adapt more to european lifestyle than americans!!!

(complain because everything is close on sundays, complain because its rainy, complain because stores don't open til late, complain because taxis are expensive, complain because no one will speak english to them, complain because european men are cold and so on)

Old 01-23-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Ah, the age old question whether third generation Irish-Americans are just like the Irish currently living on the Island.

Quite frankly, American immigrants would be just like immigrants from, say, Russia or Ukraine. Or even China or Turkey. They (probably) won't speak the language and their Irish/German/Navajo...-blood running through their veins won't bring them culturally closer to the country they decide to move to.
Ive met Americans who have been in europe for over 20 years and still don't know how the local bus operates, or how much the public transportation costs and don't know a single local!! they just mingle with other americans

in fact many have been here for ages and cannot speak the language of the country they're in and walk around expecting everyone to speak english to them, and then get mad if the locals don't know english!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe