Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 04:36 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,362,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The rest I think is embellished. Most White English Canadians only share history and traditional values with Europe.. I'd say culturally and socially we are more similar to Americans though there are HUGE regional differences.. There are very few English Canadians interested in Nascar - Hockey on the other hand yes is big here.
In the U.S., NASCAR is considered a VERY southern thing.

Hockey, however, is quite popular in many Midwest and Northeast locations of the U.S. though.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,371,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Who the heck uses the term colonials lol

Old 01-10-2015, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,453,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Your perception is skewed by the type of people who frequent this forum. If you have hundreds of posts in the World or Europe forums on CD, you are nowhere near being the typical Anglo that can barely locate a neighbouring state, province, or other region, let alone discuss the cultural intricasies of different people in Europe.

If you were to start surveying people in a supermarket about what they think and know of Europeans, you wouldn't get very far probably. I genuinely don't even think that a lot white people in North America understand that they are descended from Europeans.

I think what you are noticing are people who come on this forum because they have a greater understanding of the world, and maybe because of the aesthetic that Europe in general is the most artsy, observant, socially liberal, and sophisticated society, they align themselves with countries of the continent more than they would with a rustic small-town Canadian or whomever.
Wow, we definitely run in different circles.

I've literally never met a white American who didn't grasp that his/her ancestors came from Europe.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't think the 'relatively few' Americans who identify with some European heritage really care about the DNA. It's all about the CULTURE of that father or mother who hails from that particular European country.

Let's put it this way, if you were to suddenly move to the U.S., marry an American, and have a family. Would you completely deny/ignore/stop talking about Sweden (or whatever country you hail from in Europe), and cease to ever mention it again? If you do mention it from time to time, your kids WILL REMEMBER it, and will have some kind of identification with that CULTURE (Not the DNA) of that parent. I can 100% guarantee that to some degree, you will talk about how Swedes do something that is different from Americans, and your kids will identify to some degree with some of what you talk about.
Right.

Something really interesting happened to me recently. I had my DNA analyzed (I am now officially the whitest person I know!). I found out that I am about 98 percent northern European, mostly from the British Isles, with a smattering of Nordic and Germanic blood. I know from research into our family tree that the vast majority of our ancestors came from northern England and Scotland. (The Germans came to the US in the 1600s and married English women for the next 300 years so basically my German surname was about all that is left of that German line.)

Anyway, my grandmother was a Kirkpatrick whose ancestors came from Scotland and northern England. They had been in the US since the early 1700s and in the southern US since the late 1700s, and in Arkansas since the early 1800s. I say all that to point out that I considered her "country cooking" to be about as southern American in style as it could be.

Till I visited Yorkshire in northern England. That's when I realized that most of the food my grandmother had been cooking up for me for decades actually had it's cultural roots in northern England and Scotland. Yes, it was "country cooking" - but I had disregarded the country of origin!

Just a small example of how cultural values and norms can be passed down for generations, even for hundreds of years.

Another example is the beautiful songs my mother used to sing to me when I was a child. Speaking of child - they were often Child ballads - straight from medieval England.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 AM

109 posts, read 237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

Something really interesting happened to me recently. I had my DNA analyzed (I am now officially the whitest person I know!). I found out that I am about 98 percent northern European, mostly from the British Isles, with a smattering of Nordic and Germanic blood. I know from research into our family tree that the vast majority of our ancestors came from northern England and Scotland. (The Germans came to the US in the 1600s and married English women for the next 300 years so basically my German surname was about all that is left of that German line.)

Anyway, my grandmother was a Kirkpatrick whose ancestors came from Scotland and northern England. They had been in the US since the early 1700s and in the southern US since the late 1700s, and in Arkansas since the early 1800s. I say all that to point out that I considered her "country cooking" to be about as southern American in style as it could be.

Till I visited Yorkshire in northern England. That's when I realized that most of the food my grandmother had been cooking up for me for decades actually had it's cultural roots in northern England and Scotland. Yes, it was "country cooking" - but I had disregarded the country of origin!

Just a small example of how cultural values and norms can be passed down for generations, even for hundreds of years.

Another example is the beautiful songs my mother used to sing to me when I was a child. Speaking of child - they were often Child ballads - straight from medieval England.

British People have mediterranean ancestry from old lineage, not spanish armada and that old tales.
The overwhelming majority of british ancestry comes from the Bronze age, the ancient british/gaelic tribes and the picts. All those peoples were related to other ancient populations in the atlantic seaboard going from Northern Iberia and Western/Atlantic france, known as the Atlantic Facade.

So, Are the british people really germanic/Northern european by ancestry? Its a very complex answer, british ancestry/identity is just as complex to define as Its french ancestry. I know tons of British people, I have quite a few british friends and their phenotypes are kind of distinctive, that you wouldnt find the germanic speaking countries.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post
British People have mediterranean ancestry from old lineage, not spanish armada and that old tales.
The overwhelming majority of british ancestry comes from the Bronze age, the ancient british/gaelic tribes and the picts. All those peoples were related to other ancient populations in the atlantic seaboard going from Northern Iberia and Western/Atlantic france, known as the Atlantic Facade.

So, Are the british people really germanic/Northern european by ancestry? Its a very complex answer, british ancestry/identity is just as complex to define as Its french ancestry. I know tons of British people, I have quite a few british friends and their phenotypes are kind of distinctive, that you wouldnt find the germanic speaking countries.
That really has nothing to do with the point I was making though.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,429,024 times
The whole world is race obsessed just in different ways. We can't except it, its in the air like the flu.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,587,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdean73 View Post
BEcause I always notice how race is such a hot topic in the english speaking countries. And Its not about people, you had elliot rodgers and many other cases of partially non-western kids growing in the anglosphere with heavy racial issues. There is still much of a hidden supremacism mentality left in the nations that belonged to the british empire..
How many languages do you speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe