Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
( maybe a few millions, all of them in the West). Then compare the cultural goods produced by the great religions : again let's take India : temples, arts, sculpture, songs, paintings, literature, etc)- and that's only the Hindus! and the production of atheists (of atheists, not of secular societies, because of course it is not the same thing) : apart from very limited militant literature, I don't see much.
There's a few million atheists already in Sweden.

Being openly atheist is a rather new thing, as previously you could even face the death punishment for it. Albert Camus? You don't think for example he wasn't anything? Vonnegut? Proust? Neruda? Or Marx? You're a Marxist, right?

I don't think anyone denies that religion has played a big part of art, culture and literature, but there's no good arguments for that the world would be a worse place if the humanity would never had any gods at any time at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
Kurt Vonnegut, Pablo Neruda and Jean Paul Sartre vs. the Upanishads or the Tibetan Sacred Book of the Dead or the Talmud or (zillions of authors of sacred literature through the ages). You really believe the former are more influential (outside of the "Country Where Boys Must **** Sitting")... how more deluded can one be ?
A

Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Haven't read the Talmud or the Upanishads. But I've read something from the three authors.

If Vonnegut was a religion, it would probably be as infuential as the Talmud. I'm sure you understand the differences between an individual novelist and a holy script of a whole religion.

But you're a hippie communist russophile anti-west NWO believer Christian antimodernist space bat terrorist-supporting gay-hater, so I don't know if you in fact really do.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
Why hasn't the gov't's of Europe and the USA gone after the gov't of both Yemen and Syria? Every mention of Terrorism I hear about, these 2 countries seem to be mentioned. Obviously these 2 countries know more about the Terrorist, than they would admit.

The other issue I'm wondering about. I keep hearing on the news that the big problem in Europe is, that immigrants fail to assimilate into the European population. That the reason we are not having the same troubles in the USA, is that our immigrants do assimilate. I live in the USA and I do not see these immigrants all assimilating here. Many live in their own little neighborhoods, as they did where they came from. They have no interest in America, or even learning English. I'm sure they like all the free benefits their getting though.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Why hasn't the gov't's of Europe and the USA gone after the gov't of both Yemen and Syria? Every mention of Terrorism I hear about, these 2 countries seem to be mentioned. Obviously these 2 countries know more about the Terrorist, than they would admit.
So, what solution are you proposing? Invading them? Send foreign investigators into the country? Just because the government might know something about terrorists?

That's basically what A-H did right before WWI.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:56 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Re: "I'm a favour of free expression, and I don't think that the Prophet or Allah needs to be proteced. As to the declaration of the Pope, he should resign immediately for meddling into politics. When a Pope becomes a tribune of the plebs, he should try the waters of the Tiber.
Religion and priests have been taking advantage of humankind during generations, so I don't think they deserve any respect"

Frankie meddling in politics????? Hey can't anybody have any 'opinion' around here?!! Kind of strange for one favoring 'free expression'. Just saying..

Oh something to ponder...this is true!

There is NO separation in Church and state in Islam. So that will give an indication of what's going on about religion and violence and free speech and democracy and repression and hatred and persecution etc etc etc etc ....Complicated stuff those extremists are putting on the world!

On the other hand , the Pope is leader of the Catholic Church. He doesn't get involved in making policy for the Italian state. He's also a person residing in Europe ...with opinions. I guess he pays taxes too. Are we gonna tell him to shut up if likes Hondas better than Alfas????

Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So, what solution are you proposing? Invading them? Send foreign investigators into the country? Just because the government might know something about terrorists?

That's basically what A-H did right before WWI.

I'm suggesting the current method, if there is even much of one. Is not working. So yes I am suggesting investigations. If certain countries have this many Terrorist Groups operating out of them. Then yes something needs to be investigated about the country itself. The only alternative is to continue as has been going on. The horrible massacre's continue, and accelerate across the globe.

What do you propose?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,878,133 times
Default you hit it on the nail

[

The other issue I'm wondering about. I keep hearing on the news that the big problem in Europe is, that immigrants fail to assimilate into the European population. That the reason we are not having the same troubles in the USA, is that our immigrants do assimilate. I live in the USA and I do not see these immigrants all assimilating here. Many live in their own little neighborhoods, as they did where they came from. They have no interest in America, or even learning English. I'm sure they like all the free benefits their getting though.[/quote]

Exactly.
  1. I'll give another example of globalization gone mad : in my country for instance, there is a big-and growing- srilankan community, a lot of them so called "refugees" although srilanka (former ceylon) is not at war with anybody and is not a dictatorship that I know of.. Somebody might say "never mind, they are Buddhist, peace loving people, not the "frightening" Moslems. But now there is a srilankan mafia secretly developing (in the Asian style). Young srilankans have found a way of making a quick buck in the environmentally nefarious advertisement industry : whole gangs of them are roaming some towns, stuffing letter boxes (and even trees on private lawns) of tons of their crap paper. If you tell them you don't agree, you can be physically threatened. And of course the "authorities", so eager to repress the indigenous citizens of any reason (some people were even sentenced to jail for having laughed at sacrosanct "Charlie Hebdo", one of them a half wit) here turn a blind eye. People should know that in France illegal immigrants are offered under the provisions of AME (Emergency Medical Aid) free health care. On the other hand us "indigenous " citizens have to contribute to Social Security (I pay 92 € month -I know it's a bargain compared to the US, but still I believe it is not normal to offer those freebies to illegal immigrants at taxpayer's expense -

Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't think anyone denies that religion has played a big part of art, culture and literature, but there's no good arguments for that the world would be a worse place if the humanity would never had any gods at any time at all.
I'd argue humans would have created a new unpleasant belief in its place. Most of the negatives of religion come from group identity and think and would have been channeled in a different direction without it.

Quote:
If Vonnegut was a religion, it would probably be as infuential as the Talmud. I'm sure you understand the differences between an individual novelist and a holy script of a whole religion.
In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in his cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close to mud as man sat, looked around, and spoke. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away.”

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes...5-cat-s-cradle

Old 01-16-2015, 02:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Islam is not a religion, it is a Thought Cancer that occurs in all races. A White convert to Islam is more dangerous than a Black Christian immigrant or Arab Yazidi immigrant.

I do believe a majority of Muslims are good people but you have to closely monitor all of them to separate the good from the bad. That's not needed with any other immigrant groups. Ever heard of a radical Vietnamese/ Japanese / African Christian / Arab Christian / ETC immigrant bombing civilians? I never have.

If Europe chooses to be too PC to protect their civilization then you will get what you deserve: extinction and replacement. It's their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe