Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM

119 posts, read 106,902 times

Advertisements

I'm saving money for a trip to Europe but then I have heard some racist things that happen in Eastern Europe and got me thinking twice. I'm not black but I have a brown skin tone and my race is mixed. I'm a mixture of Indian, Salvadorian and some Irish but I'm wonder about the environment of that part of the world. I met one girl online who lives in Belarus and she lives close to the border of Poland and Belarus. I was thinking of making a visit to see her and a Polish woman I also met online wants to see me too and she lives near Krakow. I would like to go see them both and experience the European life but I'm curious how bad is it over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:06 PM

102,373 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Well, Belarus and Poland wouldn't be my first choice. But it's not bad. Weird stuff can happen unexpectedly, like random crime in the US. But it's not likely to happen.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:48 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,850,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust225 View Post
I'm saving money for a trip to Europe but then I have heard some racist things that happen in Eastern Europe and got me thinking twice. I'm not black but I have a brown skin tone and my race is mixed. I'm a mixture of Indian, Salvadorian and some Irish but I'm wonder about the environment of that part of the world. I met one girl online who lives in Belarus and she lives close to the border of Poland and Belarus. I was thinking of making a visit to see her and a Polish woman I also met online wants to see me too and she lives near Krakow. I would like to go see them both and experience the European life but I'm curious how bad is it over there.
why would they do something to you? because you're american?

My friend who is black-columbian came when I lived in Switzerland to visit me and we headed to budapest, krakow poland, prague and slovakia, also went to croatia and nothing happened to us.

you must be from the USA where people are constantly obsessed and paranoid with race and skin color!!!

This is my experience:

Croatia : full of tourists.... his presence was pretty much ignored!! he was just another tourist.

Budapest: a lot of blacks, asians, gypsies, indians, arabs and all kind of people all over the place, why would they focus exactly on you?

Poland: krakow full of tourists.... we were unnoticed

Slovakia: less tourists but no one gave a crap about us

we live in the 21st century where internet is everywhere (even in the middle of the namibian dessert in africa we have internet), people are exposed to others

the only ones who think they will impress people or cause a reaction on people because they're americans, its americans.... later they're disappointed when they find out most people are indifferent to the fact they're americans.

no one is gonna kill you in eastern europe (you;re just another tourist outta the thousands they see daily)

Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, Belarus and Poland wouldn't be my first choice. But it's not bad. Weird stuff can happen unexpectedly, like random crime in the US. But it's not likely to happen.
Poland is amazing, have you been? it is so nice and beautiful ( I like it better than Germany which is next door)

Belarus is pretty interesting too

Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonenx View Post
why Eastern Europe
why not?

must every single tourist who goes to europe go to paris?

Old 03-27-2015, 02:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,612,869 times
In my experience, the farther east you go, the more authentic the experience is. The weekend warrior tourists seem to be fewer and fewer, I'm not quite sure why people are still afraid or intimidated by these areas. With all of the information we have available today, it's pretty easy to research what it's like almost anywhere..

You should not encounter any problems in Poland, unless you are looking for trouble. Belarus could have a bit more "risk"- it's still pretty closed off from a lot of things, but hell, you could easily get up to some serious trouble in London too. Just stay aware of what's going on, especially if you're spending time with relative strangers. Adhere to safety rules you'd follow at home- don't get black out drunk, and you should be fine. Eastern Europe is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

Keep in mind if you go to Belarus, you'll need a visa. You can't just show up.

Procedure for obtaining visas to enter the Republic of Belarus - Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus

Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,344,096 times
Quote:
In my experience, everyone not in the dominant culture will probably feel something like this from time to time.

White people talk about going to Japan and experiencing racism. White people talk about going into black areas and experiencing racism. Black people talk about going into mexican areas and experiencing racism. Green people talk about going into orange people areas and experiencing racism.

I lived in Japan and Korea for many years, and all kinds of white people talked about all the racism they experienced all the time. I know PLENTY of white people who've never been to Korea or Japan, but have no desire to ever go, because they read about racism.

On the other hand, I know plenty of white, brown, black people HAPPILY living in Korea and Japan, and are what you'd consider 'lifers' with no intention of leaving. Do they experience 'racism'? Probably, yeah. But they write it off as something else, or dismiss it, or who knows...they just don't think about it in the same way. I lived there for years, and some guys I knew couldn't get through a day without experiencing racism, whereas I have a hard time reflecting on which incidents I'd actually consider racism or not. Overall, I'm of the impression that Japanese are not racist at all, but another non-Japanese might think I'm crazy for suggesting that that was my experience.

I think you'll find 'brown' or 'black' people in Eastern Europe who do the same thing.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
In my experience, the farther east you go, the more authentic the experience is. The weekend warrior tourists seem to be fewer and fewer, I'm not quite sure why people are still afraid or intimidated by these areas. With all of the information we have available today, it's pretty easy to research what it's like almost anywhere..

You should not encounter any problems in Poland, unless you are looking for trouble. Belarus could have a bit more "risk"- it's still pretty closed off from a lot of things, but hell, you could easily get up to some serious trouble in London too. Just stay aware of what's going on, especially if you're spending time with relative strangers. Adhere to safety rules you'd follow at home- don't get black out drunk, and you should be fine. Eastern Europe is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

Keep in mind if you go to Belarus, you'll need a visa. You can't just show up.

Procedure for obtaining visas to enter the Republic of Belarus - Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus
I agree, it was absolutely refreshing to escape the cliche of paris, london, barcelona with its hordes of weekend tourists, and obnoxious people taking over the place with selfies of the eiffel tower and so on. (very annoying places indeed)

it's not another tired multicultural american style wannabe place like london, amsterdam or paris

krakow, prague, budapest, croatia felt original, authentic... it is refreshing to go on a metro and see locals, not people from africa, US, asia, middle east all living under the multicultural BS Pc'ness a la USA!

Paris, london, amsterdam, barcelona to me are such a gigantic cliche of places to visit!!!

those who truly want to see THE REAL EUROPE go east, not to gigantic cliches like Amsterdam!

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM

119 posts, read 106,902 times
As some said its a different place that many don't visit. I want go see old history in Belarus especially during the USSR. Poland, I would take a visit to site where they concentration camps. I want to eat their foods. I do communicate with two young women from that region and both excited to see me in person inatead through a webcam.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM

617 posts, read 543,060 times
Quote:
There isn't much to see in Belarus: it was brutally bombed during WWII, most of the buildings are from soviet era, kinda boring, and it's economy is currently struggling.

I'd go to large cities like Warsaw, Prague, Budapest, Moscow, St. Petersburg, those are safe with lot of tourists from all over the world - there's nothing you need to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe