Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,793 times

Advertisements

Ok, this might be a rather stupid thread, but despite my Norweigan and Danish relatives, I have yet to get a grip of this... spelling-problem. So, here goes...

When does one use Ã… and when AA in Danish and Norweigan? In Swedish, it's always Ã…, but when I've visited Denmark or Norway, most of it is AA, and seldom Ã…. Am I just looking the wrong way, or is AA more prevailant than Ã…? Or is there a difference as to when to use what? Like in Ã…lborg, the trucks always say AAlborg (the ones I've seen in Denmark and Sweden).

See how confused I am? And ashamed... Please help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Ashamed and confused? Don't worry my fine Swedish friend.

In Norwegian, "AA/aa" is an old-fashioned way of writing "Ã…/Ã¥." They're both used, as in the last name (of the famous beer empire) "Aass" pronounced "Ã…s." But Ã… is more common than AA in Norwegian.

Not sure about Danish. Probably the whole mess in Norwegian started when the Danes came and over-stayed their visit in Norway by 400 years.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-14-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Blame it on the Danes.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
In Norwegian, "AA/aa" is an old-fashioned way of writing "Ã…/Ã¥." They're both used, as in the last name (of the famous beer empire) "Aass" pronounced "Ã…s." But Ã… is more common than AA in Norwegian.

Not sure about Danish. (
It's exactly the same in Denmark.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the responses

I have been wondering for quite some time...well actually, since my first visit to Denmark.

Oh, yes, the Danes, messing up languages... just like Skånska! (It's both fun and horrible, but in many Swedish TV shows, they actually have sub titles when people from Skåne speak!)

So, if AA/aa is old fashioned, is it common to write AA/aa instead of Ã…/Ã¥ when using formal, old styled language?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Thanks for the responses

So, if AA/aa is old fashioned, is it common to write AA/aa instead of Ã…/Ã¥ when using formal, old styled language?
Versågod!

The only times you would write "aa" instead of "Ã¥" in Norwegian is in cases of proper nouns. In normal, everyday writing it's "Ã¥" not "aa."

There are times when people write on the computer, emails for instance, they will use "aa" instead of "Ã¥" from a practical standpoint, if typing on an EN-US mapped keyboard; people don't always know how to generate "Ã¥."

A similar reason could be behind using "aa" in the old days. I would suspect that the original printing presses in Norway didn't "ship" with Æ, Ø or Å, so alternatives were sought for those letters. But this is shear speculation on my part.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
I didn't realize norwegian people could write.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 AM

243 posts, read 704,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I didn't realize norwegian people could write.
yeah

ca 50% write.

the other 50% can read.

so it works out good..

lol

Old 01-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Default Tack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
yeah

ca 50% write.

the other 50% can read.

so it works out good..

lol
LOL, are you writing the "Norweigan jokes" for us these days? Like, "how do you sink a Norweigan submarine?" (Usch, we Swedes are horrible, I am so ashamed right now... It's only because we love you, you know. There's nothing like "sibling love"!)

I finally got the premium from Illustrerad vetenskap (a science... hebdomadaire. Shoot, now I know the word in French but not in English. Uhm.. monthly journal?) and it only had Norweigan instructions. Guess what, it says "nå" and "åpne"! (Now and open - cute. Swedish is so "hard" with its "nu" and "öppna".)

How does one produce an Ã… on a EN-US keyboard, by the way? I've tried without succes. I might going to need to know how to in the future... Can one use a Swedish/Norweigan/Danish keyboard on a EN-US computer if one has a "installation CDs"? (Are there any installation CDs? I'm from a family of IT technicians, yet I have no idea... *blushing*)

How come there are so many Norweigans on CD, by the way? I only know of one other Swede here (there's been three others, but only for a few posts) but he lives in the States. Oh, I know cre8...

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM

243 posts, read 704,251 times
Quote:
How come there are so many Norweigans on CD, by the way? I only know of one other Swede here (there's been three others, but only for a few posts) but he lives in the States. Oh, I know cre8...
prob coz we are sick of the norwegian kids on norwegian forums... lol

Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
How does one produce an Ã… on a EN-US keyboard, by the way?
On Windows there are cryptic ways to use the ALT key and an ASCII character number to produce "special" characters, accents, etc. I use Word's Insert > Character menu option and pick the letter(s) from the dialog box, then copy and paste as needed. It's cumbersome.

On the Macintosh it's a lot easier as you can type the letters on the fly. You use the OPTION key in combination with another key for the Norwegian letters. For example, OPTION + a = å; OPTION + o = ø; OPTION + " = æ. Add the SHIFT key for caps.

For Swedish there is an extra step. First, you have to produce the umlauts (two super dots) then type a second time for the letter that will use them. Example: OPTION + u = ¨. The "¨" will stay highlighted until you type again. Immediately type the letter that will use the umlauts, "a" or "o" for ä and ö. For caps add the SHIFT key on the second step (when typing the letters) Ä, Ö. ¿Qué interesante, no?

PS. SHIFT + OPTION + ? = ¿. OPTION + e = ´; then type "e" for é.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-26-2008 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: ETA PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe