Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city would you live in?
San Francisco 10 16.95%
New York 15 25.42%
Boston 11 18.64%
Los Angeles 7 11.86%
Chicago 7 11.86%
Portland 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:39 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
NYC exceeds any European city in every aspect? like safety, beauty, public transportation, economy, more things to do, architecture, etc... I'm curious
I would say, overall, yes.

European cities, on average, are much better than American cities, but NYC is probably the greatest city on earth, and certainly tops London or Paris.

There may be a better city overall than NYC, but I haven't yet seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would say, overall, yes.

European cities, on average, are much better than American cities, but NYC is probably the greatest city on earth, and certainly tops London or Paris.

There may be a better city overall than NYC, but I haven't yet seen it.

It's all subjective. One city is not "better" than another. I love the city I live in and wouldn't move to new york, London or Paris over it, and yet it doesn't even compare to those places in terms of public transport, green spaces, culture etc.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
NYC exceeds any European city in every aspect? like safety, beauty, public transportation, economy, more things to do, architecture, etc... I'm curious
No, not in every aspect but as a whole NYC is superior. Imagine if this was a thread about European cities and an American made the comment that Paris is the same as any US city you happen to be in - St Louis, Minneapolis, Phoenix, etc. Silly right?

Last edited by WestCobb; 06-25-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiReader View Post
Oklahoma City for sheer beauty. Omaha for vibrancy. Montgomery for progressiveness.
It would be difficult for Europeans to catch on to your sarcasm

First time in my life I have heard OK city and sheer beauty in the same sentence, not even as an Onion article.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,147 times
I just found a nice little town to live: East St. Louis, its website says:

"A Great Place
..to Live
..to Work
..to Do Business
..to Raise a Family
..to Visit"

I have to admit I do admire the American optimism.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
wait...

St louis is exactly like this, right ?

https://youtu.be/hwBoa-NbNL8

Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 AM

412 posts, read 302,311 times
I´ve never been in USA, but i like Seattle a lot From your poll, probably Portalnd, it seems similar to Seattle. Btw, interresting topic, maybe you should add more cities to the poll

Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
wait...

St louis is exactly like this, right ?

https://youtu.be/hwBoa-NbNL8
Yeah, St. Louis looks exactly like that. East St. Louis, which is in a different state: Illinois, is even more energetic, vibrant, and diverse than St. Louis.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:35 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Yeah, St. Louis looks exactly like that. East St. Louis, which is in a different state: Illinois, is even more energetic, vibrant, and diverse than St. Louis.
And I have to agree with you. No such place with so much energy is likely to be found in Netherlands.

I even found this nice write up as an excerpt from a book, on the net

Quote:
East of anywhere," writes a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "often evokes the other side of the tracks. But, for a first-time visitor suddenly deposited on its eerily empty streets, East St. Louis might suggest another world." The city, which is 98 percent black, has no obstetric services, no regular trash collection, and few jobs. Nearly a third of its families live on less than $7,500 a year; 75 percent of its population lives on welfare of some form. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development describes it as "the most distressed small city in America."

Only three of the 13 buildings on Missouri Avenue, one of the city's major thoroughfares, are occupied. A 13-story office building, tallest in the city, has been boarded up. Out side, on the sidewalk, a pile of garbage fills a ten-foot crater.

The city, which by night and day is clouded by the fumes that pour from vents and smokestacks at the Pfizer and Monsanto chemical plants, has one of the highest rates of child asthma in America.

It is, according to a teacher at the University of Southern Illinois, "a repository for a nonwhite population that is now regarded as expendable." The Post-Dispatch describes it as "America's Soweto."

Old 07-25-2015, 10:13 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Lolz. This was interesting! I, as an american, would not live in any of these cities. Way overpriced. Is Europe really as expensive as these cities??? I would hope not...

The only ones that would be cool would be portland for landscape and NYC for crazy amount of urbanism, and Chicago, for being relatively normal, but that city is very corrupt.

4 of them, Miami, SF, LA, and Portland are in incredibly bad locations from a natural disaster standpoint.

I repped the person who said cleveland though! Have you checked out the homes you can get in that city?!?!?! You should.

And St. Louis is a cool city, despite having a trashy East St. Louis neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe