Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:52 PM

379 posts, read 359,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Hotels are really cheap in Germany. I have stayed at nice four stars hotels in Berlin for 1/3 cost of London. The four stars hotels in London are mostly awful. I do not think Chicago or LA are more expensive than Paris, London or even Barcelona.

Is Arne Bjornson your real name? It sounds like a 19th century Norwegian author or painter
I don't know what Paris costs in the summer as an adult. I have been in a mediocre Paris hotel in the fall, it was not too bad. Around $80/night. A similar hotel in Chicago would be $200-$300 per night if I went next week. However, it would probably only cost $80/night in the winter. Summer hotel prices in Chicago are shocking, if you ask me.

In fact, I find lodging in the USA depressingly expensive no matter where you go. Even a hotel in the middle of nowhere can cost $150/night. The only exception I have found is in South Dakota, but who wants to go there?

I have stayed in a youth hostel in Paris in July, and that was cheap. However it was many years ago.

I assume nice hotels in Paris are always expensive.

A quick look suggests AirBNB next week in Paris is not any more expensive than Chicago. In fact, it looks like there are better deals in Paris. Perhaps I will make a side trip?

Screen Shot on 2015-07-14 at 13:48:32.png • Droplr

Arne is not my real name, but I have a similar weird norwegian name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
You misunderstood I think, I meant the col may be lower but the tourist areas like Paris and London are very expensive. Don't expect Europe to be cheap everywhere. Then again, the Euro has dropped a lot vs the dollar so now may be a good time to visit.
I won't, the cities i am interested in are Lyon, Berlin, Munich, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Brussels and Copenhagen.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:15 PM

81 posts, read 183,294 times
Ive been to portugal and spain about a dozen times, not by choice, and i cant wait to come home. Some parts are beautiful, but alot of the cities are just covered in graffiti. I feel like im traveling a few years behind when i go to portugal, and am always scared if god forbid i get injured or hurt and end up in one of those horrendous hospitals.
My personal opinion, some good and some bad, but i will not willingly waste my time traveling there.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 PM

172 posts, read 177,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
I don't know what Paris costs in the summer as an adult. I have been in a mediocre Paris hotel in the fall, it was not too bad. Around $80/night. A similar hotel in Chicago would be $200-$300 per night if I went next week. However, it would probably only cost $80/night in the winter. Summer hotel prices in Chicago are shocking, if you ask me.

In fact, I find lodging in the USA depressingly expensive no matter where you go. Even a hotel in the middle of nowhere can cost $150/night. The only exception I have found is in South Dakota, but who wants to go there?

I have stayed in a youth hostel in Paris in July, and that was cheap. However it was many years ago.

I assume nice hotels in Paris are always expensive.

A quick look suggests AirBNB next week in Paris is not any more expensive than Chicago. In fact, it looks like there are better deals in Paris. Perhaps I will make a side trip?

Screen Shot on 2015-07-14 at 13:48:32.png • Droplr

Arne is not my real name, but I have a similar weird norwegian name.

I already found out that food and toiletries at grocery stores, building materials at Home Depot and prices for tv, phone, internet plans are alot higher than in Germany. But regarding the hotel prices I thought that there is not such a big differences. But when I do a little research at booking.com, even hotels in Columbus cost more than twice what they cost in Düsseldorf. With a few exceptions, the prices in the U.S. seems inflated. Of course partly due to the current exchange rate, but even with 1 Euro = 1.40 USD, many things in the U.S. would be still significant more expensive.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 PM

172 posts, read 177,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea, and England, France, Germany, Netherlands, etc...

Budget travel is easy in Europe... train tickets are pretty cheap, low cost airlines, hostels, etc....

You always talk about how cheaper groceries are in Europe though

Stay in Hostels instead of Hotels... Renting a car isn't always necessary but ive seen some pretty affordable rates for car rentals in Germany.

In many major German cities, there is often no normal grocery store directly in the city center. It can happen that you have to walk up to 1km to get to a grocery store. Department stores in the city center often have a deli department in the basement, but extremely expensive. There are also often organic grocery stores in the pedestrian zones, also very expensive. Those stores are maybe one reason why so many Americans think that food is so expensive in Europe.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea, and England, France, Germany, Netherlands, etc...

Budget travel is easy in Europe... train tickets are pretty cheap, low cost airlines, hostels, etc....
It's easy, it's not usually cheap.

Train tickets certainly aren't cheap in pretty much any of the countries you listed. I always hitchhike or take the bus in Europe. The trains are far too expensive, unless they are very old regional lines, or subsidized when you can find four people to get a multi-person ticket which works out to being cheap for an individual.

Even hostels are pretty expensive in my eyes, because approaching 30 euro isn't cheap to me. That being said, I once saw a 40 euro Ibis Express in Leipzig. That's pretty cheap for a full blown hotel. Location was awful, though. Right off the Autobahn exit many, many KMs from the centre.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Ive been to portugal and spain about a dozen times, not by choice, and i cant wait to come home. Some parts are beautiful, but alot of the cities are just covered in graffiti. I feel like im traveling a few years behind when i go to portugal, and am always scared if god forbid i get injured or hurt and end up in one of those horrendous hospitals.
My personal opinion, some good and some bad, but i will not willingly waste my time traveling there.

When and where exactly did you travel in Portugal.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
You are clearly a troll and I bet you never set foot in Portugal! The hospitals are not fantastic but they are not horrible especially the private ones.
Graffiti exists everywhere genius! Go to Paris, London or Berlin and you will see the same amount of graffiti.
If Portugal is so horrible then why than more than 97% of tourists leave satisfied. Do us a favour, if you don't like it then don't come back! Simple as that.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H;40414358[B
]Ive been to portugal and spain about a dozen times, not by choice, and i cant wait to come home.[/b] Some parts are beautiful, but alot of the cities are just covered in graffiti. I feel like im traveling a few years behind when i go to portugal, and am always scared if god forbid i get injured or hurt and end up in one of those horrendous hospitals.

Doubt you've even set foot in Portugal but just in case you have don't go back.

Last edited by AFP; 07-15-2015 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 06:37 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It's easy, it's not usually cheap.

Train tickets certainly aren't cheap in pretty much any of the countries you listed. I always hitchhike or take the bus in Europe. The trains are far too expensive, unless they are very old regional lines, or subsidized when you can find four people to get a multi-person ticket which works out to being cheap for an individual.

Even hostels are pretty expensive in my eyes, because approaching 30 euro isn't cheap to me. That being said, I once saw a 40 euro Ibis Express in Leipzig. That's pretty cheap for a full blown hotel. Location was awful, though. Right off the Autobahn exit many, many KMs from the centre.
Yeah that's how I travel, I stay in hostels and take the train and all that. When I said Western Europe is expensive, I was saying so in that sense and not if you're going the hotel/rental car route. Hostels can be 30 Euros or more in those countries. From my time exploring Central/Eastern Europe, I never pay more than 12-15 USD for a hostel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe