Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 02:05 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,440,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I bet you couldn't tell them apart, British people are NOT all dark haired and Dutch people are NOT all blond.
Weren't you among those who were saying that all British people are so dark-haired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 03:23 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Weren't you among those who were saying that all British people are so dark-haired?
Nope never said that, you can try looking at all my posts if you like to see if I ever have. I am the one that lives here and tells it like it is, I have tried to put it clearly but still people don't seem to get it. I'll try again - there is NO British look, the most common look is dark hair white skin but there are millions if Britons that are not dark haired and millions that are not white skinned. Britons do NOT share facial features, they do not look alike and they dont 'share' a type of look also they are NOT all the same size, you simply cannot tell the difference between a Briton and an Italian or a Briton and a German because there are millions of Britons that can 'look' Italian and millions that can 'look' German, finally I'm afraid to say that ginger hair is also rare in Briton but that DOESNT mean its not possible to be British and ginger either because yes there are ginger Britons too. All of this stereotyping genetic nonsense does not hold true in 21st century Briton (or most other European nations).

Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Nope never said that, you can try looking at all my posts if you like to see if I ever have. I am the one that lives here and tells it like it is, I have tried to put it clearly but still people don't seem to get it. I'll try again - there is NO British look, the most common look is dark hair white skin but there are millions if Britons that are not dark haired and millions that are not white skinned. Britons do NOT share facial features, they do not look alike and they dont 'share' a type of look also they are NOT all the same size, you simply cannot tell the difference between a Briton and an Italian or a Briton and a German because there are millions of Britons that can 'look' Italian and millions that can 'look' German, finally I'm afraid to say that ginger hair is also rare in Briton but that DOESNT mean its not possible to be British and ginger either because yes there are ginger Britons too. All of this stereotyping genetic nonsense does not hold true in 21st century Briton (or most other European nations).
O.K., you're living there means nothing since you're clueless about other Europeans, so how can you make proper comparisons. Additionally, only proper studies done carefully can really tell us the difference. Get it?
Ginger is not the most common in Britain/Ireland (obviously!), it is a recessive trait, usually masks itself behind light/dark hair. The "fact like it is", is the following, the British and Irish have the highest frequency of red-haired people ("ginger") per capita in the world (supported by BritainDNA, ScotlandDNA projects). This never meant that all Brits are red-haired or that the majority are! In the countries where the White population has a high percentage of people who have British/Irish ancestry, there seem to be also a high frequency of red-haired people too in comparison to those from other European populations.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Asian!?! wut!?! BTW your photos look more like swedes.. Oh Those americans and their stereotypes.
Stereotypes? Really? I do no think so. I know you would like to portray Norwegians as Mediterraneans or even Asians, however that is complete nonsense and a dream. Only a complete fool will fall for that! Now the fact is that Norwegians are overall the blondest-haired of the people of Scandinavia Proper (Denmark, Norway and Sweden)! This I say with assurance, due to the evidence from a medical study done on more than 100,000 Scandinavian women who were randomly sampled from precisely Norway and Sweden in 1991 and 1992 and these women were studied through an approximately ten year period starting in 1991 through to 1999 and 2000. These Scandinavians were drawn by the National Population Register at Statistics Norway (Oslo, Norway) and the National Population Register Statistics (Stockholm, Sweden). The purpose of the study was to understand the effect and dangers that skin melanoma in women represents. All these women were adults aged between 34-49 years old for Norwegian women and 30-50 years old for Swedish women. These individuals are studied thoroughly. Pigmentation results show that the Norwegians to have a higher percentage of blonde hair than the Swedes, but both Norwegians and Swedes are equally blue-eyed and red-haired. So please your American jokes for later, we are a lot smarter than you think!

Old 08-06-2015, 06:39 PM

51 posts, read 47,726 times
Quote:

And you live there and have probably visited dozens of regions, but it seems that people that visit the UK or Europe for that matter trough Internet have another vision.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
I doubt that for example italians like to be confused for being greeks or that spaniards like to be confused for being romanians and so on. Its the same thing, norwegians are not swedes!!!

American stereotypical view on norwegians:

Norway in real life, in the real world:

Sorry but this is not how i view Norwegians, keep our nationalities out of this... it doesn't make any sense what so ever.... especially when you are telling us what our views are.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 AM

363 posts, read 480,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Sorry but this is not how i view Norwegians, keep our nationalities out of this... it doesn't make any sense what so ever.... especially when you are telling us what our views are.
Ok I only guessed that, I should have used some other examples like for example: "I am pretty sure that some finns dont like to be mistaken for being russians"

Last edited by Tjua; 08-07-2015 at 01:49 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 01:47 AM

363 posts, read 480,281 times
Quote:
Stereotypes? Really? I do no think so. I know you would like to portray Norwegians as Mediterraneans or even Asians, however that is complete nonsense and a dream. Only a complete fool will fall for that! Now the fact is that Norwegians are overall the blondest-haired of the people of Scandinavia Proper (Denmark, Norway and Sweden)! This I say with assurance, due to the evidence from a medical study done on more than 100,000 Scandinavian women who were randomly sampled from precisely Norway and Sweden in 1991 and 1992 and these women were studied through an approximately ten year period starting in 1991 through to 1999 and 2000. These Scandinavians were drawn by the National Population Register at Statistics Norway (Oslo, Norway) and the National Population Register Statistics (Stockholm, Sweden). The purpose of the study was to understand the effect and dangers that skin melanoma in women represents. All these women were adults aged between 34-49 years old for Norwegian women and 30-50 years old for Swedish women. These individuals are studied thoroughly. Pigmentation results show that the Norwegians to have a higher percentage of blonde hair than the Swedes, but both Norwegians and Swedes are equally blue-eyed and red-haired. So please your American jokes for later, we are a lot smarter than you think!
John Cleese, you know that british Monty Python comedian guy. Already in the late 70s he made a show about Norway were he said that the stereotypes which you portray about norwegians aint true. That was over 40 years ago

Old 08-07-2015, 05:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
O.K., you're living there means nothing since you're clueless about other Europeans, so how can you make proper comparisons. Additionally, only proper studies done carefully can really tell us the difference. Get it?
Ginger is not the most common in Britain/Ireland (obviously!), it is a recessive trait, usually masks itself behind light/dark hair. The "fact like it is", is the following, the British and Irish have the highest frequency of red-haired people ("ginger") per capita in the world (supported by BritainDNA, ScotlandDNA projects). This never meant that all Brits are red-haired or that the majority are! In the countries where the White population has a high percentage of people who have British/Irish ancestry, there seem to be also a high frequency of red-haired people too in comparison to those from other European populations.
Me living here means that I can see with my own eyes, every day how people look & I am telling you exactly what I see, so the answer to the original question 'Can Europeans tell the ethnic difference among themselves' is a resounding NO! With reference to your comment about 'being clueless about other Europeans' I remind you, I am European, I married a Croatian (European), she was an au-pair because of this I am still even now friends with German, Swiss, Austrian and Belgian women (originally other Au pairs). I work for an oil procurement company and because of this I work with Polish, Romanian, French, Italian, Swiss, German (both from East & West), Austrian, Norwegian, Portugese, Bulgarian and Czech people, I also have Spanish family and I can categorically say that the 'look' of these people is very varied and put us all together and NOBODY would be able to split us into national groups.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 AM

228 posts, read 367,722 times
I can only tell Southern Europeans from Northern Europeans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe