Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I think there's a clear difference between North, East, South and West. Like I can of course separate a Northern from a Southern but I don't think there's much difference between Dutch, Germans and Scandinavians or Spanish, Italians and Greeks for instance.

Although some ethnicities have very clear features I think, like the French and English. I can usually spot them pretty easily.
Rubbish! Tell me EXACTLY what these 'very clear' features are (should be easy if they're 'very clear') and I will tell you if all of the English people around me have them!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Rubbish! Tell me EXACTLY what these 'very clear' features are (should be easy if they're 'very clear') and I will tell you if all of the English people around me have them!?
Oh, please, have I offended you now? I'm not gonna EXACTLY tell you what those features are, because I CAN'T. Of course not all English have that look but many do. Like very pale skin, often dark brown hair etc, but those are features that many French, Dutch, Italians also often have, but there's just something that's not easy to explain.
I've had an English stepdad so also English family, friends and collegues for some time, so I think I can say a little bit about it... Not meant to be offensive in any way by all means

Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Oh, please, have I offended you now? I'm not gonna EXACTLY tell you what those features are, because I CAN'T. Of course not all English have that look but many do. Like very pale skin, often dark brown hair etc, but those are features that many French, Dutch, Italians also often have, but there's just something that's not easy to explain.
I've had an English stepdad so also English family, friends and collegues for some time, so I think I can say a little bit about it... Not meant to be offensive in any way by all means
Sorry I am not offended, (other people on here (not you) do tend to rub me up the wrong way and I really shouldn't let them) however I don't believe in anybody having a certain 'look'. As far as I can see English, French and German people (among others) are VERY diverse when it comes to looks, if there is a 'look' to an Englishman or a Frenchman or a Dutchman or German then I would like to know exactly what it is, so that I can take a 'look' for myself, however nobody (yet) has managed to tell me exactly what this 'look' is which suggests to me that it doesn't really exist.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 AM

990 posts, read 1,944,577 times
I can tell southern Europeans from northern, western and eastern Europeans for the most.

But to be honest the difference between northern, western and eastern Europeans is harder to tell as they are all white, there are certain distinct characteristics but nothing that I notice at instant.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:40 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Sometimes i have a hard time to notice the difference between most Europeans and even then i'm not sure to be 100% right because there aren't features which are unique to a specific area.
If i saw a pale, red haired tourist women, i'd guess she is from Scotland or Ireland but she could very well be from Spain or Poland.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Sorry I am not offended, (other people on here (not you) do tend to rub me up the wrong way and I really shouldn't let them) however I don't believe in anybody having a certain 'look'. As far as I can see English, French and German people (among others) are VERY diverse when it comes to looks, if there is a 'look' to an Englishman or a Frenchman or a Dutchman or German then I would like to know exactly what it is, so that I can take a 'look' for myself, however nobody (yet) has managed to tell me exactly what this 'look' is which suggests to me that it doesn't really exist.
Yeah I know what you mean, you shouldn't, haha.

Of course within the countries there's a lot diversity and also a lot of mix with people from other countries. I have brown hair and pitch black eyes, and was told I'm like a 8th French but in my family we also have a lot of blond's and blue eyed, like half my family is dark and half is blond.
But still, we often talk about a typical Dutch look often said as "gezonde hollandse jongen" which means so much as "Healthy looking Dutch Boy". Our king has kind of that look, many people call it that, but he could easily be a German or a Swede too...

Old 07-15-2015, 08:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
I think it's not only about looks, but as much in how people behave, what clothes they wear, hairstyles and so on.

I've worked at Helsinki Airport where I encountered literally hundreds if not thousands of foreigners every day, and though I learnt to tell in many cases, I was often as wrong as right. Some nationalities, like Chinese, Japanese and Russians are easy to tell, but not if you're German for example.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think it's not only about looks, but as much in how people behave, what clothes they wear, hairstyles and so on.

I've worked at Helsinki Airport where I encountered literally hundreds if not thousands of foreigners every day, and though I learnt to tell in many cases, I was often as wrong as right. Some nationalities, like Chinese, Japanese and Russians are easy to tell, but not if you're German for example.
I agree, that would be a big factor too. Especially when you talk about the face/facial features, the haircut does a lot.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,577,431 times
Not so much. I myself have been mistaken for French and Italian while a holiday trip in The Netherlands, but some others noticed that I'm Spaniard.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,505,283 times
tried this yesterday and spotted an Eastern European right. So yes I can tell the general region.
Don't know if this is true but I think some Swiss have a distinctive swiss look, Alex Frei for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexan...:Alex_Frei.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe