Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Most Northernized Country in the South:
Switzerland

Most Southernized Country in the North:
Belgium

But Switzerland is not really in the south.

My vote goes to northern Croatia as the most northernized place and I really dunno about the most southernized place in the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 06:52 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
What about Slovenia? I've never been there, but I think they are a bit northernized also.
I spent a few hours in Nova Gorica and didn't notice any difference, apart from the language, between Northern Italy and Slovenia, maybe it was only because it's at the border or because i didn't spend enough time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Padania and Padania.
It never was and never will be a country, a pipe dream of a few crazy men which seem to have been put to an end in the last few years

Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,577,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
But Switzerland is not really in the south.
They still are in the southern half of continental Europe, although their Germanic mentality make them a northern country.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:13 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,563 times
What about the southern Italian part of Switzerland?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:32 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

It never was and never will be a country, a pipe dream of a few crazy men which seem to have been put to an end in the last few years
The OP said country or region. Read carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979

Anyway, the most "northernized" country or region in southern Europe ...

... the most "southernized" country or region in northern Europe.

What do you think?

Padania and Padania.
And don't be emotional, it betrays you.

In Italy, everything is permitted and no one is offended.

Padania is simply a noun referring to the regions straddling the River Po, nothing more and nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post

Anyway, the most "northernized" country or region in southern Europe ...

... the most "southernized" country or region in northern Europe.

What do you think?
Padania and Padania, then.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The OP said country or region. Read carefully. And don't be emotional, it betrays you. In Italy, everything is permitted and no one is offended. Padania is simply a noun referring to the regions straddling the River Po, nothing more and nothing less. Padania and Padania, then.
I didn't think the question was about regions, anyway i think Sudtirol is probably the most Northernized part of Southern Europe, especially outside of Bolzano. The main language is German, the economical and the political landscape resembles that of Austria or Germany as much as that of Italy.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Maybe my impression is skewed from a tourist's perspective, but I found Spain as orderly, well-organized and clean as Germany, maybe more so. Only visited Berlin, though; perhaps if I had seen the former West Germany my perspective would be different. The Spanish did seem friendlier and less reserved though. But part of it was I was traveling with someone who could speak fluent Spanish and I could understand some Spanish myself.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,827 times
I agree with improb, the tiny Alto Adige, the northermost part of Italy, has definetely a "northern" vibe compared to anywhere in Southern Europe.

Why "Padania" instead of Po Valley? No one use the term "Padania" here.

I think France is more organized and "northernized" than Northern Italy as a whole. Even Slovenia has a more "northern" feeling, but it is often included in Central Europe instead of Southern Europe for its historic background.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:14 PM

321 posts, read 400,368 times
The Po Valley is only "northernized" if it is compared to the rest of Italy.
On a wider European perspective, it is in no way a northern-like region. Yes, northern Italians are more business-like and less extroverted (on avg) than southern Italians, but they still talk loud, drive like crazy, dress formally, speak little English and zero German, and they are overall less disciplined than most peoples in Europe.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:59 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,577,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
The Po Valley is only "northernized" if it is compared to the rest of Italy.
On a wider European perspective, it is in no way a northern-like region. Yes, northern Italians are more business-like and less extroverted (on avg) than southern Italians, but they still talk loud, drive like crazy, dress formally, speak little English and zero German, and they are overall less disciplined than most peoples in Europe.
Oh, I always had the impression that the way they are part to the Blue Banana makes them a bit northernized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe