Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
I agree with improb, the tiny Alto Adige, the northermost part of Italy, has definetely a "northern" vibe compared to anywhere in Southern Europe.

Why "Padania" instead of Po Valley? No one use the term "Padania" here.

I think France is more organized and "northernized" than Northern Italy as a whole. Even Slovenia has a more "northern" feeling, but it is often included in Central Europe instead of Southern Europe for its historic background.
Well, it depends where in France. Northern France is obviously more "Northern" than Piemonte, lombardia or Venezia; but Languedoc, Provence or Corsica are more "southern" than northern Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:07 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
yeah, I have relatives / ancestry in Languedoc and to me it definitely feels more mediterranean / southern than here. Mild winters, mediterranean vegetation, the food, the way people behave...

Po Valley feels just slightly more "southern" than Lyon IMO. Probably more similar to the interior French southwest ?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,440,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I had a chat with a friend from Southern Italy who spent his erasmus year in Dublin. Basically he said that the Irish were very mediterranean to him and completely unlike the Brits. I responded that they were probably similar in character to the Bretons in France which do have a celtic trait and are quite different from typical french people.

Of course these are all very broad generalizations.
Rubbish! The Irish are even less Mediterranean ("Southern") than other British groups, they are as pale as heck! What are you talking about? Bretons? What has your friend been drinking? Southern French people are Mediterraneans. Who told you that Celtic people were Meds? Go and find out testimonies of the Ancient Romans and Greeks on the Celts/Keltoi. Those are not generalizations, but they are rather lies.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
I agree with improb, the tiny Alto Adige, the northermost part of Italy, has definetely a "northern" vibe compared to anywhere in Southern Europe.

Why "Padania" instead of Po Valley? No one use the term "Padania" here.

I think France is more organized and "northernized" than Northern Italy as a whole. Even Slovenia has a more "northern" feeling, but it is often included in Central Europe instead of Southern Europe for its historic background.

Slovenia is a southern-central European country. It is not a Central European country in the same context as we would say Austria, Switzerland and the Czech Republic are!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Rubbish! The Irish are even less Mediterranean ("Southern") than other British groups, they are as pale as heck!
Seriously, it doesn't matter what type of skin they have, but their behaviour.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Rubbish! The Irish are even less Mediterranean ("Southern") than other British groups, they are as pale as heck! What are you talking about? Bretons? What has your friend been drinking? Southern French people are Mediterraneans. Who told you that Celtic people were Meds? Go and find out testimonies of the Ancient Romans and Greeks on the Celts/Keltoi. Those are not generalizations, but they are rather lies.
This was about behavior and culture, not about genetics. I thought it was pretty clear.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Seriously, it doesn't matter what type of skin they have, but their behaviour.
What behavior? The Irish are totally different from Latin-speaking people (Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, French, Swiss, Belgian Wallons) and are much more culturally closer to the people of the U.K. and others in the Anglosphere countries. There is nothing Latin/Mediterranean there. Even in previous times, Celtic Christian doctrines differ trmendously than those of Roman Christian ones, for a long time they even denied the authority of the pope. So we see here different societies. On top of the sports we all have such as soccer (football), the Irish have their own Gaelic sports, which are also played in countries with large Celtic communities such as Australia, the U.S., Canada, etc...
Your friend either was dreaming or didn't know what he was talking about.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 AM

It is possible though that italians would feel more at home in Ireland than in England. I reckon guiness might help.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
yeah, I have relatives / ancestry in Languedoc and to me it definitely feels more mediterranean / southern than here. Mild winters, mediterranean vegetation, the food, the way people behave...

Po Valley feels just slightly more "southern" than Lyon IMO. Probably more similar to the interior French southwest ?
The Po valley is the italian equivalent of the upper Rhone Valley (Rhone-Alpes) in France. Those places are located at the same latitudes (Grenoble is at the same latitude as Turin, Lyon about the same as Milan or Venezia, just slighly kilometers further north), on the east or west side of the Alps. They have very similar climates and traditioanl culture on both sides is very similar. The french south west is more "southern" than the Po valley, with its strong spanish influences, even if the climate is not considered mediterranean in both cases.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:20 PM

It depends of what you call "southwest", which is a controversial debate in France, but looking at places like, say, Cahors or Agen, these places do have a southern twist while not being mediterranean. The same could be said about the Drome area.

Even Toulouse is quite similar to Bologna in many aspects, but no perfect matches exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe