Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,616 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been reading the "westernized" vs "easternized" thread, so I would like to see what you mates think about with this new thread.

I know there are different ways to separate northern and southern Europe:
- Latin languages vs germanic languages in the west.
- Southern slavic, albanian and hellenic languages vs western slavic, eastern slavic and baltic languages in the east.
- The countries to the Mediterranean basin plus Portugal vs the rest.
- Regarding the definition that "french user" said in "where does northern Europe end" thread, as both Loira valley plus Danube valley divide Europe in two equal halfs.

Anyway, by thinking about the most "northernized" country or region in southern Europe, I would say the more organized one or the one where people use to drive safely and the best one to queue.
By thinking about the most "southernized" country or region in northern Europe, I would say the one with the worst traffic or the one which has the loudest and more extroverted people.

What do you think?

Last edited by overdrive1979; 07-16-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Spain is the country where I've always felt most comfortable in, so I'll gonna go with that. I don't know, there's something in the Spanish mentality which appeals to us Finns.

For vice-versa I can't say. Maybe Serbia?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post

Anyway, the most "northernized" country or region in southern Europe ...

... the most "southernized" country or region in northern Europe.

What do you think?
Padania and Padania.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
Oh whoah I sense some epic thread coming our way...

Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Spain is the country where I've always felt most comfortable in, so I'll gonna go with that. I don't know, there's something in the Spanish mentality which appeals to us Finns.

For vice-versa I can't say. Maybe Serbia?
I have only been to Catalonia and only a few times, but I have to say that I agree that the people there have a northern temprament. At least in contrast to the 'exuberant Latin' stereotype.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Yeah exuberant Latin is just that, a stereotype and I have so many things to say about this :

"Anyway, by thinking about the most "northernized" country or region in southern Europe, I would say the more organized one or the one where people use to drive safely and the best one to queue.
By thinking about the most "southernized" country or region in northern Europe, I would say the one with the worst traffic or the one which has the loudest and more extroverted people.
" ...

Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Well, traffic is pretty aggressive here, but I don't think we are a southernised country at all. Maybe we picked that up from the Russians.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Yeah exuberant Latin is just that, a stereotype and I have so many things to say about this :

"Anyway, by thinking about the most "northernized" country or region in southern Europe, I would say the more organized one or the one where people use to drive safely and the best one to queue.
" ...

Well, it's just my personal opinion, so choice your own definition of northernized and southernized, and then tell us what countries would fit in it.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Well, it's just my personal opinion, so choice your own definition of northernized and southernized, and then tell us what countries would fit in it.
I don't want to choose anything. There's plenty of things I don't understand and this habit to try to segmentarize Europe in north-south good-bad better-worse and comparing them is one of those things. Sorry.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, traffic is pretty aggressive here, but I don't think we are a southernised country at all. Maybe we picked that up from the Russians.
Well, I don't think agressive traffic as a typical feature of driving in southeastern Europe at all, but kind of lazy drivers, red light runners, lackness of lane discipline, creating new lanes, etc.
For instance, my brother was in Malta few years ago, and he said it's not extremely agressive at all, but total anarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe