Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,506 times

Advertisements

The 2 methods of speaking Danish;
A)
* whenever there is a vowel you think scr€w it and push in all of them at once,
* whenever there is a consonant you swallow it whole,
pronunciation-school A complete.

B)
Shove a hot potato in your mouth and speak any other nordic language.
pronunciation-school B complete.

(yes I am kidding, this is how danish sounds to a swede :P )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:25 PM

919 posts, read 839,557 times
Thanks for your explanations, yabanci! Should it be yabancı, right? hehe...

As you mentioned, I am a native speaker of Japanese which is categorized as the hardest language for English speakers, according to the list you post above.

I don't think any of your examples are difficult. Actually,Turkish and Japanese have many aspects in common. And I think that's why I feel Turkish is easy to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
1. Vowel harmony/consonant shifts. This is simply a matter of memorization and practice. If I were to try to explain the difficulty in comparison to the other languages I'd learned, I would say that it is harder to learn than gender in French and easier to learn than gender and declensions in German.
After comparing Turkish with Uigur, I felt Turkish was much easier than Uigur. To my eyes, Turkish is more in order in this regard. I'm not sure if this metaphor is suitable but Turkish is a modern city and Uigur a rural village.

Quote:
Arka(back)

Arkamdan, arkandan, arkasından

From my back, from your back, from his/her/its back
Pretty straightforward for me. It had taken me for half an hour at most to memorize -m, -n and - sı and basic harmony rules. Memorize once and done.

Linguistic gender is not like that. You have to memorize its gender for every single word.

Quote:
4. Gerunds, participles and verbal nouns can be a headache. Most foreigners don't even bother trying some of the relative clause constructions, preferring to use ki, which was imported from Farsi. While their intent can be understood, it causes their speech to sound stilted.
I forgot almost everything I had learned, but what you are referring is, say geldiğim? If that's the case, it is easy for me too.

Quote:
6. Agglutination. It is much harder to understand something when grammatical elements which would be represented as separate words in your language have been shoved together to form a single word. Even once you have completely learned all the elements, the act of using them or even understanding them is a hassle.
Here's an example using basic vocabulary words and intermediate level grammatical elements:

Tanıştıramayabileceğimiz devrimciler

Tanıştırmayabileceğiniz devrimciler
I wonder which is harder, Turkish or German in this regard? There are tons of those examples in Japaneses and Chinese, especially with Kanji or Chinese characters as well.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 AM

191 posts, read 167,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Thanks for your explanations, yabanci! Should it be yabancı, right? hehe...

As you mentioned, I am a native speaker of Japanese which is categorized as the hardest language for English speakers, according to the list you post above.

I don't think any of your examples are difficult. Actually,Turkish and Japanese have many aspects in common. And I think that's why I feel Turkish is easy to learn.
Yes, it should be yabancı.

As a native speaker of Japanese, I think you would have a huge advantage over most other students of Turkish. The problematic aspects of Turkish I listed are based on my perspective as a native English speaker who has studied French and German. And I can say with confidence that Turkish is far more difficult than either of them.

One thing I've heard from people who know Japanese at an intermediate level is that the grammar isn't hard, but the ones who speak it at a higher level think that it's difficult. If this is true, then Japanese is rather like Turkish.

Quote:
After comparing Turkish with Uigur, I felt Turkish was much easier than Uigur. To my eyes, Turkish is more in order in this regard. I'm not sure if this metaphor is suitable but Turkish is a modern city and Uigur a rural village.
I really couldn't personally comment on the difference in difficulty between Uyghur and Turkish, but I've never heard that Uyghur is harder than Turkish(except for the alphabet). But I think your metaphor works on at least one level; Central Asian Turkic languages always sound coarse to me, whereas İstanbul Turkish is softer and much easier on the ears.

Quote:
Pretty straightforward for me. It had taken me for half an hour at most to memorize -m, -n and - sı and basic harmony rules. Memorize once and done.

Linguistic gender is not like that. You have to memorize its gender for every single word.
Those elements are easy enough to learn, and applying the -m -n -si -miniz -niz -leri to nouns isn't a problem. The issue with vowel harmony, based on my experience, isn't about the rules themselves, which are straightforward, but about actually applying them. It's easy to learn to shoot a free throw, but it isn't so easy to be able to reliably hit them.

Gender is much easier than you make it out to be. As any teacher worth his salt will tell you, when you learn a new word you must learn the gender at the same time. Is learning 'le poisson' harder than learning 'poisson'? I think that the reason people have a problem with gender is that they convince themselves that it is difficult and then turn that belief into a self-fulfilling prophesy by not learning the gender of the word when they learn the word. When I first started with German, I made this mistake, but I never had any problem with it after I learned the error of my ways.

Quote:
I forgot almost everything I had learned, but what you are referring is, say geldiğim? If that's the case, it is easy for me too.
That's one of many. The only difficulty with words like geldiğim is dealing with the backwards construction--in the context of an entire sentence, such a construction isn't problematic, but when it's inserted in the middle or beginning of the sentence

Quote:

I wonder which is harder, Turkish or German in this regard? There are tons of those examples in Japaneses and Chinese, especially with Kanji or Chinese characters as well.
When you mention German, I assume you mean words like Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkungen? Words like those are nouns. Tanıştıramayabileceğimiz and tanıştırmayabileceğiniz are relatıve clauses meaning 'whom we may not be able to introduce' and 'whom you cannot introduce' respectively. One letter will shift the meaning, often considerably. And these letters can easily be missed, especially when listening, thus potentially leading to large misunderstandings.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 AM

919 posts, read 839,557 times
Quote:
Yes, it should be yabancı.

Quote:
Those elements are easy enough to learn, and applying the -m -n -si -miniz -niz -leri to nouns isn't a problem. The issue with vowel harmony, based on my experience, isn't about the rules themselves, which are straightforward, but about actually applying them. It's easy to learn to shoot a free throw, but it isn't so easy to be able to reliably hit them.
There are some vowel harmony phenomena left in Japanese too. For example,

ame (rain) + kasa (umbrella) = amagasa: e becomes a because of assimilation.

Actually k becomes g as well. I remember I had learned similar phenomenon in Turkish too

Quote:
Gender is much easier than you make it out to be. As any teacher worth his salt will tell you, when you learn a new word you must learn the gender at the same time. Is learning 'le poisson' harder than learning 'poisson'? I think that the reason people have a problem with gender is that they convince themselves that it is difficult and then turn that belief into a self-fulfilling prophesy by not learning the gender of the word when they learn the word. When I first started with German, I made this mistake, but I never had any problem with it after I learned the error of my ways.
Although remembering a word with its corresponding article is not difficult at all, but, changing verbs, adjectives and nouns according to its gender is challenging for me

Quote:
When you mention German, I assume you mean words like Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkungen? Words like those are nouns. Tanıştıramayabileceğimiz and tanıştırmayabileceğiniz are relatıve clauses meaning 'whom we may not be able to introduce' and 'whom you cannot introduce' respectively. One letter will shift the meaning, often considerably. And these letters can easily be missed, especially when listening, thus potentially leading to large misunderstandings.
Oh, I know what you mean now, and I think many, if not all, languages have those situations.

For example, I've heard a Japanese narrative while driving today:

Watashiwa uchiwo deta. Chichini nanimo iwazuni. Chichimo nanimo iwazuni. (I left home. I said nothing to my father. My father said nothing to me either.)

Compare Chichini nanimo iwazuni. with Chichimo nanimo iwazuni.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM

486 posts, read 445,138 times
As a native English speaker. Dutch is the easiest followed by German.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe