Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
So let me get this straight? The not only hate the United States, but do they also hate the American people? Cause that is just wrong to hate the citizens!
That's Russia today for you Aethalstad, going backwards at warp speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight? The not only hate the United States, but do they also hate the American people? Cause that is just wrong to hate the citizens!
Hmmm...
It's a tough one. Because what's the United States without its people? And what is Russia without Russians?
On one hand, one understands that there are plenty of people ( in both places) that have little to do with the governments, their decisions and actions. So you'd think it's plain wrong to hate the citizens. On another hand - governments in both respective countries are not exactly space aliens and people who are connected to them/support them are not space aliens either. So it becomes everyone's personal choice how to go about it, and you see Russians on FB who remind that governments and citizens are not one and the same thing, and then you see some that say "we don't care, they all want our destruction."

Old 08-16-2015, 12:03 PM

149 posts, read 182,089 times
Quote:
Disclaimer!

I posted this thread before on the history forums, but I was told by nearly everyone to post it here. So there you have that.

For Russians born in the early to mid 80s 1982-1986, do they have any memories of the Soviet Union and the Cold War??

I'm just curious of this, because I know through reading similar threads that people born in the 60s and early-mid 70s remember the USSR and the Cold War, but I never have gotten an answer when it comes to this one.

Now I might be stupid asking this question, but I am none of the less curious. If they do, would they consider themselves Soviets later turned Russians or do they just consider themselves Russian?

Also, would they have been molded into that Soviet or Cold War mindset/mentality like the others just like how in the U.S, people had a similar mindset/mentality or is that a no?

I'd really like to know! I also would love it if I could get answers directly from them!
Are you conducting a survey for your school paper?
You need to clarify what you mean by "Russian": "Russian" is both ethnicity and nationality.
Russian can mean either being a citizen (national) of Russian Federation or ethnic identification.
RF has many, many ethnicities living in it, other than "ethnic Russians", and many ethnic Russians live in other countries and not in Russia.
Soviet Union is long-gone, only few diehards consider themselves a "Soviet" person now and as to "mindset", not sure what you mean--things change and person's views change--USSR had collapsed 25 years ago, people keep some of the mentality/values and the rest changes. You must be a very young person--person hardly stays the same over 25 years of rapid changes.

I lived many years in USSR, Russia and America can I can see bull**** lies pulled by either system and government.
All governments are just out to brainwash and let the elite to milk the sheeple, that's about it. Neither of the systems is better than another: same book, different cover. USSR commies are very close to modern US fascism, a marriage made in heaven, I'd say.

Last edited by opossum_; 08-16-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 12:08 PM

149 posts, read 182,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
That's Russia today for you Aethalstad, going backwards at warp speed.
Once they got the stench of globalist mafia, I guess, they decided to turn back and not be a Western colony.

Last edited by opossum_; 08-16-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 02:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hmmm...
It's a tough one. Because what's the United States without its people? And what is Russia without Russians?
On one hand, one understands that there are plenty of people ( in both places) that have little to do with the governments, their decisions and actions. So you'd think it's plain wrong to hate the citizens. On another hand - governments in both respective countries are not exactly space aliens and people who are connected to them/support them are not space aliens either. So it becomes everyone's personal choice how to go about it, and you see Russians on FB who remind that governments and citizens are not one and the same thing, and then you see some that say "we don't care, they all want our destruction."
Well, but look at Bush's war in Iraq. You can't pin that on the American people. And I'd say the same goes for the continued war/s in that region.

Did the American people consider Russia to be an "evil empire", as Reagan did? The citizen diplomacy that was triggered by his warlike talk says they didn't. Leaders get elected (or....not, in Russia, haha ), but then they sometimes do their own thing, or feel that circumstances push them to do that. Or corporate interests take over. Or they need a little war to boost their popularity at home (Putin--Ukraine, Reagan--Grenada, Fujimori--Ecuador), whatever.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, but look at Bush's war in Iraq. You can't pin that on the American people.
Well who did it then? Sure it was not just Bush who single-handedly put a military outfit on and marched to Iraq? Of course it were American people in uniforms that supported their commander-in-chief, some grudgingly, some not. And it were American people who didn't get rid of Bush after this ordeal. It's another thing I'm sure that you personally didn't know a single person ( among your friends) who'd have supported this war, but that doesn't mean that there were no others out there of the different opinion on this matter.
Likewise no one in my circle of friends would have used any expletives towards Americans. Interestingly enough, when some Russians sent me "friend request" on FB, reading my stance on Donbass, once they've discovered that I have plenty of American friends as well, they never said a thing, as critical of the US government as they were under the circumstances. They understand. But that doesn't mean that there are no others out there, who cuss and curse and point at America and Americans as the source of all evil on Earth. The good thing about them though, is that they usually sound so dumb on each and every other topic, that you can discard them right away, as annoying fly.

Quote:
Did the American people consider Russia to be an "evil empire", as Reagan did? The citizen diplomacy that was triggered by his warlike talk says they didn't. Leaders get elected (or....not, in Russia, haha ), but then they sometimes do their own thing, or feel that circumstances push them to do that. Or corporate interests take over. Or they need a little war to boost their popularity at home (Putin--Ukraine, Reagan--Grenada, Fujimori--Ecuador), whatever.
Well there we go. The reasons might be different ( why some people work in unison with their governments,) for some ( Russians) it might be ideology, for Americans - a convenient ways of life, but as I said my opinion is such, that part of population in every respective country still always supports and follows its government. If you and me don't fall into this category, that doesn't mean that it's not out there.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 AM

147 posts, read 100,409 times
I was born in 1980 and I remember Soviet Union very well. We were born in a country that does not exist.
I remember what a tragedy it was for us. White became black and black became white.
They told to us a lot of dirt about our history. It was like our world turned upside down.
They tried to erase our spirit, our history.

I can say thanks to the USSR for my happy childhood. That was great!
Nobody taught us to hate the USA.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:26 PM

684 posts, read 714,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serabal View Post
I was born in 1980 and I remember Soviet Union very well. We were born in a country that does not exist.
I remember what a tragedy it was for us. White became black and black became white.
They told to us a lot of dirt about our history. It was like our world turned upside down.
They tried to erase our spirit, our history.

I can say thanks to the USSR for my happy childhood. That was great!
Nobody taught us to hate the USA.
I was in US when Soviet Union Collapsed. My Date of Birth is 1976. Born in old Russian Capital called Kiev, maybe you heard of us

I have no "American" friends. All my friends born to Soviet Union and are fluent in Russian.

И как кольчюгой звенит русская речь....

Old 02-27-2016, 01:18 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,239,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
I was in US when Soviet Union Collapsed. My Date of Birth is 1976. Born in old Russian Capital called Kiev, maybe you heard of us

I have no "American" friends. All my friends born to Soviet Union and are fluent in Russian.

И как кольчюгой звенит русская речь....
Other moods reign in Kiev today.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 PM

684 posts, read 714,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Other moods reign in Kiev today.
When we left there was 52 million people in Ukraine, now it's 42. People from villages moved in our flats....

It's IQ based, people with a brain leave then people with half a brain leave...

There is a question that really needs answering though... 10k people died in Ukraine... 17k people wounded, Why ?

The thing is, I dated a girl from Donetsk... I promised her I would find out this very important question !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe