Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,928 times

Advertisements

I remember this time and I like it. I felt safe and protected, I didn't know what terrorism and nationalism are. Soviet Union gave everything for the people of USSR and other countries. And it was tragedy when USSR collapsed. And I hope it will reborn again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Lolz

Old 03-05-2016, 03:12 AM

147 posts, read 100,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
And I hope it will reborn again.
I think it won't

Old 04-09-2016, 12:23 PM

617 posts, read 539,012 times
Quote:
I remember this time and I like it. I felt safe and protected, I didn't know what terrorism and nationalism are. Soviet Union gave everything for the people of USSR and other countries. And it was tragedy when USSR collapsed. And I hope it will reborn again.
I agree, USSR was a single bright spot in the whole world. A human being born and raised there was a real human being, not a half animal part of a consumption machine like most westerners. There was almost no violent crime, no unemployment, no homeless, no hunger. Every imaginable profession was accessible to anyone at no cost.

The thing that killed USSR was just lack of freedoms, and that political "elite", which got too old and distanced from the rest of the nation. Of course western secret services "helped" too.

Yet Russia has managed to save some of USSR spirit, but not sure how long it will last giving all the massive western propaganda war going on against it.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Somebody names "Atai" is saying there was no nationalism in the USSR? There was no nationalism allowed, but there was still nationalism, and it wasted no time in coming up from underground after the crash. In a good way. Pride in one's ethnicity isn't a bad thing, unless taken to extremes. Incorporating ethnic history, traditions, values and language into the school or university curriculum, expressing cultural and spiritual traditions through art, organizing traditional holidays and festivals, these are not bad things. This contributes to human diversity.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think that much has changed. Fundamental aspects of the USSR are still with us. The main difference now is that oil prices have crashed, so the government can't provide as much support to9 the regions as it used to, and it can't pursue the infrastructure projects and economic development activities it had hoped to. But there are still plenty of workplaces that receive federal operating support for workers who do nothing most days but play solitaire on their computers, and have tea breaks. The good old "the government pretends to pay us, so we pretend to work" ethos is alive and well.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 PM

617 posts, read 539,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think that much has changed. Fundamental aspects of the USSR are still with us. The main difference now is that oil prices have crashed, so the government can't provide as much support to9 the regions as it used to, and it can't pursue the infrastructure projects and economic development activities it had hoped to. But there are still plenty of workplaces that receive federal operating support for workers who do nothing most days but play solitaire on their computers, and have tea breaks. The good old "the government pretends to pay us, so we pretend to work" ethos is alive and well.
You just repeating BS which your mass media put into your head.

I worked in 3 major US corporations (Fortune 500) where most people do exactly what you described as "play solitaire on their computers, and have tea breaks", because everything is corrupted top to bottom. This is has NOTHING to do with USSR "fundamental" aspects.
The main fundamental aspect in the USSR was that people work for common good and have everything they need to live а fulfilling life.
Shortly put in the USSR and some European countries like France folks work to live and have all major aspects like health and education covered by the state.
In countries like US people live to work, everyone tries to rob each other - you go to hospital they rip you off, you go buy a house, they rip off again big time, you want to put your kids through a school - schools suck, even though you pay crazy amount of money in property taxes, so you ripped off again. And so on.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
You just repeating BS which your mass media put into your head.

I worked in 3 major US corporations (Fortune 500) where most people do exactly what you described as "play solitaire on their computers, and have tea breaks", because everything is corrupted top to bottom. This is has NOTHING to do with USSR "fundamental" aspects.
The main fundamental aspect in the USSR was that people work for common good and have everything they need to live а fulfilling life.
Shortly put in the USSR and some European countries like France folks work to live and have all major aspects like health and education covered by the state.
In countries like US people live to work, everyone tries to rob each other - you go to hospital they rip you off, you go buy a house, they rip off again big time, you want to put your kids through a school - schools suck, even though you pay crazy amount of money in property taxes, so you ripped off again. And so on.
The US mass media has no idea what took place in workplaces in the USSR, and it doesn't care, lol! And it has everything to do with the USSR "fundamental" aspects. Yes, they play solitaire for the common good, or chat on the phone instead of attending to customers in the office, all for the glory of the worker's paradise. That goes on in Sweden, too. Funny how workers behave when they have a guaranteed job.

If you want to see "crazy amount of money" paid in property taxes and income taxes, try Europe, not the US. Just because you're not used to taxes doesn't mean the US has "crazy" level of taxes. If it did, the country would be in better shape. And btw, under Yeltsin, the tax rate for small businesses and cooperatives, and for the self-employed (independent artists, etc.) was around 80-90%.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-09-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 10:32 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Somebody names "Atai" is saying there was no nationalism in the USSR? There was no nationalism allowed, but there was still nationalism, and it wasted no time in coming up from underground after the crash. In a good way. Pride in one's ethnicity isn't a bad thing, unless taken to extremes. Incorporating ethnic history, traditions, values and language into the school or university curriculum, expressing cultural and spiritual traditions through art, organizing traditional holidays and festivals, these are not bad things. This contributes to human diversity.
No it came out in a very ugly way.
And not necessarily between the Russians and other ethnicities, but the centuries-long conflicts raised their ugly head all over the place, starting with Nagorny Karabakh, or better say Sumgait. Then Abkhasians vs Georgians, Kirgiz against Uzbeks, Chechens against Russians/ Ossetians and Russians against anyone else.
And it didn't happen "after the crash" - it started by the end of the eighties, with the weakening of Soviet state, economy in particular.
This kind of hatred between ethnic Russians and Caucasians for example was never ever a case during Soviet times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaGW...&nohtml5=False

"Traditional festivals" on another hand were very much part of Soviet days.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No it came out in a very ugly way.
And not necessarily between the Russians and other ethnicities, but the centuries-long conflicts raised their ugly head all over the place, starting with Nagorny Karabakh, or better say Sumgait. Then Abkhasians vs Georgians, Kirgiz against Uzbeks, Chechens against Russians/ Ossetians and Russians against anyone else.
And it didn't happen "after the crash" - it started by the end of the eighties, with the weakening of Soviet state, economy in particular.
This kind of hatred between ethnic Russians and Caucasians for example was never ever a case during Soviet times.

"Traditional festivals" on another hand were very much part of Soviet days.
j Yes, true. Context is everything. I was thinking of the Siberian/Far East and Finnic republics and peoples, a very different situation. The Kavkaz has always been known for warrior culture and conflicts among themselves, to some extent, but the regime put a damper on any anti-Russian resentments that might have been festering, and back then, any serious negative attitudes would have been more isolated. Still, you have to figure that Stalin must have had good reason for moving nationalities around en masse. (Which strategy in the end only made things worse.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe