Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:10 PM

749 posts, read 855,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywardviking View Post
Portugal is more like Guatemala, the churches and the population. Their haplotype is similar.
I took you seriously for like one tenth of a second hahah

Now more seriously, the reason I am asking this is because I am Portuguese myself, I was born and grew up in France. A few years back I moved to SoCal which has, as most people know, now predominantly Hispanic hailing from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.
When I tell people I'm Portuguese I feel that people automatically make a connection with Hispanics from South of the border. Light brown hair, and hazel eyes. I don't look anything like the bulk of Latinos around here. People usually assume I'm american, and after they hear I have an accent I have people asking if was Swiss, Irish, Russian, French god knows what else. I had times when I would give a clerck or a receptionist, usually a Latina, my name and have them stare in disbelief for a second as if I was misrepresenting myself. My last name isn't spanish but in this place anything sounding remotely latin is immediately classified as Latino, Hispanic, Mexican. Even the Portuguese language program at UCLA is categorized under "hispanic studies".
To tell you the truth it's sort of bothering me. Aside from the fact that Portuguese people and Hispanic Latin American countries speak a language that is derived from Latin, I don't think we have too much in common. The phenotype, the food, the music, the way of being is very different. I traveled to Mexico before and it looks nothing like Portugal, and obviously they are very far away from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 AM

185 posts, read 258,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post

Now more seriously, the reason I am asking this is because I am Portuguese myself, I was born and grew up in France. A few years back I moved to SoCal which has, as most people know, now predominantly Hispanic hailing from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.
When I tell people I'm Portuguese I feel that people automatically make a connection with Hispanics from South of the border. Light brown hair, and hazel eyes. I don't look anything like the bulk of Latinos around here. People usually assume I'm american, and after they hear I have an accent I have people asking if was Swiss, Irish, Russian, French god knows what else. I had times when I would give a clerck or a receptionist, usually a Latina, my name and have them stare in disbelief for a second as if I was misrepresenting myself. My last name isn't spanish but in this place anything sounding remotely latin is immediately classified as Latino, Hispanic, Mexican. Even the Portuguese language program at UCLA is categorized under "hispanic studies".
To tell you the truth it's sort of bothering me. Aside from the fact that Portuguese people and Hispanic Latin American countries speak a language that is derived from Latin, I don't think we have too much in common. The phenotype, the food, the music, the way of being is very different. I traveled to Mexico before and it looks nothing like Portugal, and obviously they are very far away from each other.
California has a lot of mexicans, hondurans, guatemalans.... they aren't exactly representative of Latin America's diversity.

South America especially has a lot of white people, Asians, blacks.... You seem to be under the impression that latin americans on average look like the indigenous central americans and mexicans that live all over california.

I am from south America and here are the demographics of my country: 35% white/european, 20% black/mulato, 40% mixed, 5% others (including arabs, jews, asians, and native indians)

So get out of the assumption that latin america = californians who speak spanish from mexico, spicy mexican food, mexican culture and mexican people!

Add to that the rampant ignorance in America (not to be offensive but Americans are very very ignorant on average), I am white and Colombian, in the US I have had to explain myself over and over and over to "Latinos from there" why am I white looking and I speak spanish..... So it's not just blacks or whites with the misconception in America. It's all those "latinos-hispanics" too.

The most recent annoying thing was when Disney recreated a character after the little princess of Spain "sofia"

This is how the inspiration to Sofia looks like.... she's te daughter of the king of Spain, the little girl is obviously spaniard and european

This is how disney's sofia looks like....

Well US latinos complained she didn't look latina enough, and by latina enough they meant brown and indian aztec looking. Now you may ask yourself, why would a princess from spain (a european country) have to resemble a mexican child? well in their mind anything spanish = mexico!

So I suggest you stop taking America's ignorance over who you are so seriously and learn to ignore it, that is if you wanna be happy in the US (because if you let it get to you, you might end becoming a racist and be very unhappy while living there).... the US is completely obsessed with races and skin colors and racial classifications (just look at how much the americans on this forum talk about it)

The US is a place full of ignorant opinionated people who will tell you how offended they are over everything in a second and they won't hesitate to talk about who they are, where they come from, what they believe and how they're vegan-democrat-bi sexual-organic-asexual contra-romanticist-pansexual yaddah yaddah yaddah! (that is Americans of all colors for you)

South America by the way has a LOT of immigrants and descendants from portuguese people, they have their own communities... of course they're not that present in the US..... the US is mostly mexican when it comes to spanish and you're expected to look like a mexican and like mexican things.... even mexicans from the US expect you to! and if you're portuguese, italian, or look anything like a mexican you MUST BE mexican and you should like mexican things and identify with them.

So once again, take them all as ignorant and move on.

Last edited by ulta; 08-23-2015 at 03:30 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 03:25 AM

Let's not even talk about how the US kidnapped the term latin..... a term used to describe the cultures of France, Spain, Portugal, Romania and Italy and turned it into a US Latino-hispanic thing.

Not even in south america people call themselves like that.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:43 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,206 times
Quote:

When I tell people I'm Portuguese.
If you were born and raised in France then you are not Portuguese, independently whether you have Portuguese ancestry or not.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjua View Post
Princess Sofia was Greek, she's still alive but now is a Queen (honorary).
She looked a little bit like the Disney cartoon when very young.
Spain is also interested to be into the hispano thing, from zero push in the US to 60-100 million.
Franco's dream.
A lot of market and politics and a historical and cultural community.
I would have painted Queen Letizia brown, why not?
She's Asturian and half the population of Asturias is in Mexico, she lived there herself and worked in a newspaper.
Reina Consorte Sofia has a lot of class.
Current Spanish Queen is Letizia, she's a commoner.
I have studied migration movements and Mexico has never had any significant immigration from Spain or Europe in general.

I have been to Mexico and I have been to Spain by the way.... Mexico is very native American indigenous, while Spain is a typical European country.

Half of Asturias live in Mexico claim.... according to Spanish institute of demographics and statistics there are only 13,000 Asturian descendants in Mexico. 13,000 hardly constitute a significant number, and it's far from being half of Asturias population which accounts for almost 2'5 million people!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asturians#cite_note-GZ-1 check the link to the figure of Asturians in Mexico.

That imaginary hispanic-union stuff doesn't exist except in the minds of Americans mostly of latin american heritage who have never really been exposed to Latin America, who don't know how ethnically diverse latin america is and who think latin america is full of indigenous looking fellas eating mexican tacos and loving their families and all of those ridiculous hollywood cliches!

BTW Franco was quite aloof towards latin american countries, he was never fond of them..... in fact Spain had no trade or economic links to Latin America during Franco! (I don't know what you mean by Franco's dream) but spain reopened its commercial and diplomatic links with latin america once franco had died!

Resuming....

Mexico is NOTHING like Spain, nor Spaniards wish to be US Latinos like you claim..... I am from South America and half the people in South America HATES being called Latinos/hispanics/Mexicans.... now imagine the Spaniards who are often quite proud of their own culture and history!

Speaking spanish does not make one Mexican-like, nor makes one love mexicans.....

you speak english and so do nigerians, that doesn't mean you love them, you identify with them or you feel close to them as a fellow english speaker, right? Same applies with spanish speakers!

Last edited by ulta; 08-23-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
If you were born and raised in France then you are not Portuguese, independently whether you have Portuguese ancestry or not.
In France Portuguese people are considered foreigners, even if born there, even if citizens.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I find many Americans somewhat naïve and ignorant of the world. It wouldn't surprise me if many think all Spanish speaking people are from Mexico. Here in Massachusetts there are many Portuguese from Portugal, Azores as well as now, the largest Brazilian population outside of Brazil. Plus a very large Spanish speaking population, mainly from Central and South America. I don't believe that many people from Spain live in this region. Perhaps some students in Boston and Providence RI.

For a small state you hear Portuguese and Spanish daily in many areas of Mass. Here I think people could tell the difference, between a Spanish person and Portuguese because we hear the languages so much. In other areas of the USA though, many have no familiarity with much beyond their world in the USA. So I can see someone from Portugal or Brazil being identified as Spanish and Mexican, by certain segments of Americans.

I don't understand either language, but when I hear these 2 languages. Though I can identify Spanish from Portuguese. I don't hear any similarity in the sounds of words. So how speakers of these languages, can somewhat understand each other is beyond me.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,823 times
Quote:
In France Portuguese people are considered foreigners, even if born there, even if citizens.
Not really.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,823 times
My parents' best friends when I was younger were Portuguese and very much liked.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-24-2015 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: English only please!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post

My parents' best friends when I was younger were Portuguese and very much liked.

The question is not whether they are liked or not but whether they are considered foreigners, outsiders. You referred to them as "Portuguese" therefore you notice a difference, because obviously there is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe