Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:52 AM

185 posts, read 258,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjua View Post
Mexico received the largest number of Spanish immigrants, almost as much as Argentina, in fact, Mexico had almost the largest Spanish colony until the famous revolutions, Villa, etc, most Spanish were ousted. Afterwards, the country received many, but I don't think they are in the statistics because it was dangerous.

In fact, the Spanish colony in Mexico is by far the richest one of all. As to the number of gachupines in Mexico or descendants, you can be sure you won't find that figure or hear anything about them.

As to what the "people" feel, who cares?
Most Spaniard immigration to LAtin America went to Argentina, Cuba, Venezuela, Uruguay.... not Mexico

I don't know where you get this idea that spaniards are everywhere in mexico and that they don't appear anywhere in any statistic because it's dangerous for them.....

Walk around mexico and you hardly find any spaniard looking face! in fact mexico has never really received much immigration from anywhere.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/estadisticas/S...ntesis2012.pdf

there are 92,000 spaniard descendants in mexico

not many considering mexico has 130 million people!!!

Regarding about what people feel... sorry but I for once take offense to be called Latina... I am not a mexican, nor I live in the US, nor I want to be associated with "spicy brown central american-mexican looking women dancing mariachi music" I am COLOMBIAN and have absolutely NOTHING to do with that kind of people! It's not prejudice, it's just different culture which I am proud of!

So yeah, how I identify myself matters..... WHO CARES ABOUT AMERICAN IGNORANCE RATHER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 AM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjua View Post
And yes, Portugal is more like Chile or Patagonia.
Resemblance based on what?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
The question is not whether they are liked or not but whether they are considered foreigners, outsiders. You referred to them as "Portuguese" therefore you notice a difference, because obviously there is a difference.
Oh no.
They were French people, French citizens of Portuguese ancestry. Is that better for you or what ? French people of whatever ancestry are still French. That's what I wanted to say.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Resemblance based on what?
Get over yourself already

not only you're quite ignorant assuming all of latin america looks like mexico (in fact Argentina for example has a larger european population than the US), but there are TONS of portuguese immigrants in brazil, venezuela, uruguay!

so you live in california (A place PACKED with mexican people) and now you're mad because ignorant locals think you're related to mexicans, so you end up assuming all of latin america = mexican people because that is all you see in california and whine about it.

you sure are becoming americanized.... concerned with skin colors and people's origins (on your way to becoming an american)

Latin america doesn't look like portugal.... latin america has italians, spanish, blacks, germans, indigenous folks of different tribes, asians, arabs, mixes of all kind.... jews and more, While portugal is a small atlantic country in southern europe!

you have the nerve to say you don't look like a latin american, and to you probably a latin american looks like this

in reality latin americans come in all colors, shades, flavors... far more than californians or portuguese

happy now?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I find many Americans somewhat naïve and ignorant of the world. It wouldn't surprise me if many think all Spanish speaking people are from Mexico. Here in Massachusetts there are many Portuguese from Portugal, Azores as well as now, the largest Brazilian population outside of Brazil. Plus a very large Spanish speaking population, mainly from Central and South America. I don't believe that many people from Spain live in this region. Perhaps some students in Boston and Providence RI.

For a small state you hear Portuguese and Spanish daily in many areas of Mass. Here I think people could tell the difference, between a Spanish person and Portuguese because we hear the languages so much. In other areas of the USA though, many have no familiarity with much beyond their world in the USA. So I can see someone from Portugal or Brazil being identified as Spanish and Mexican, by certain segments of Americans.

I don't understand either language, but when I hear these 2 languages. Though I can identify Spanish from Portuguese. I don't hear any similarity in the sounds of words. So how speakers of these languages, can somewhat understand each other is beyond me.
This is very true many are. I live in a city that has a significant population of people with Portuguese ancestry and we've been here for a long time I have a relative that bought property out here in 1874, there is also a significant amount of people that immigrated directly from Portugal as is my case so most of people who live here are somewhat familiar with Portuguese people, however I've come across people that have moved to California from different states who ask the most stupid questions some of these people don't even know Europe is a continent.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This is very true many are. I live in a city that has a significant population of people with Portuguese ancestry and we've been here for a long time I have a relative that bought property out here in 1874, so most of people who live here are somewhat familiar with Portuguese people, however I've come across people that have moved to California from different states who ask the most stupid questions some of these people don't even know Europe is a continent.
It's not just black or white Americans... Latinos from the US are equally ignorant!

I am Colombian, spanish IS my mother tongue and I had to explain myself several times to Mexican-Americans in texas who barely spoke any spanish at all, why am I white, speak THEIR language and where did I learn it!

After that I never really felt comfortable in the US!

I did however in my very own fashion told them that it is MY LANGUAGE, not theirs.... my ancestors colonized their people and imposed MY LANGUAGE on them!!! So that is how they ended up speaking spanish..... some looked at me puzzled but I don't care.

I don't put up with stupidity

Old 08-23-2015, 11:31 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
[quote=ulta;40929699]It's not just black or white Americans... Latinos from the US are equally ignorant!

I am Colombian, spanish IS my mother tongue and I had to explain myself several times to Mexican-Americans in texas who barely spoke any spanish at all, why am I white, speak THEIR language and where did I learn it!

After that I never really felt comfortable in the US!

I did however in my very own fashion told them that it is MY LANGUAGE, not theirs.... my ancestors colonized their people and imposed MY LANGUAGE on them!!! So that is how they ended up speaking spanish..... some looked at me puzzled but I don't care.

I don't put up with stupidity[/QUOTE]

LoL a lot of people aren't knowledgeable about those sorts of things a little humility goes a long way. I answer people's questions if I sense they are genuinely interested.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:58 AM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
Get over yourself already

not only you're quite ignorant assuming all of latin america looks like mexico (in fact Argentina for example has a larger european population than the US), but there are TONS of portuguese immigrants in brazil, venezuela, uruguay!

so you live in california (A place PACKED with mexican people) and now you're mad because ignorant locals think you're related to mexicans, so you end up assuming all of latin america = mexican people because that is all you see in california and whine about it.

you sure are becoming americanized.... concerned with skin colors and people's origins (on your way to becoming an american)

Latin america doesn't look like portugal.... latin america has italians, spanish, blacks, germans, indigenous folks of different tribes, asians, arabs, mixes of all kind.... jews and more, While portugal is a small atlantic country in southern europe!

you have the nerve to say you don't look like a latin american, and to you probably a latin american looks like this

in reality latin americans come in all colors, shades, flavors... far more than californians or portuguese

happy now?

Mmmh ok... I don't recall saying that all Spanish speaking Latin Americans are brown skinned. I also don't understand why you went on this long ramble about how South Americans are so much Whiter than Mexican and Central Americans. To me it's very much off topic. If you go back to the beginning of this thread and re-read my initial post, my point was to emphasized that Portugal shares little in common with those countries geographically, racially or culturally, ONE OR SEVERAL OF THESE. Therefore putting a Portuguese, an Ecuadorean and a Salvadorian under the same category or cultural sphere makes no sense to me.
A couple Spanish speaking countries received some Portuguese immigration but these people are a insignificant minority and will identify as Portuguese rather than the country they immigrated, like I do.

Americans are certainly obsessed with races, but the same can be said about Latin America. It shocked me at first as this is nothing like what I was used to. But I guess it's a direct consequence of multiracial societies. I have met many white south americans trying to push their whiteness looking down on dark, backward "indios".

I also understand I must be irritating for Spanish speaking Latin Americans living in the US to be always labeled and referred to as "Mexicans". This is why it is important for the census to come up with different, more specific categories.

I

Old 08-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Mmmh ok... I don't recall saying that all Spanish speaking Latin Americans are brown skinned. I also don't understand why you went on this long ramble about how South Americans are so much Whiter than Mexican and Central Americans. To me it's very much off topic. If you go back to the beginning of this thread and re-read my initial post, my point was to emphasized that Portugal shares little in common with those countries geographically, racially or culturally, ONE OR SEVERAL OF THESE. Therefore putting a Portuguese, an Ecuadorean and a Salvadorian under the same category or cultural sphere makes no sense to me.
A couple Spanish speaking countries received some Portuguese immigration but these people are a insignificant minority and will identify as Portuguese rather than the country they immigrated, like I do.

Americans are certainly obsessed with races, but the same can be said about Latin America. It shocked me at first as this is nothing like what I was used to. But I guess it's a direct consequence of multiracial societies. I have met many white south americans trying to push their whiteness looking down on dark, backward "indios".

I also understand I must be irritating for Spanish speaking Latin Americans living in the US to be always labeled and referred to as "Mexicans". This is why it is important for the census to come up with different, more specific categories.

I
ok I apologize for going off on you... its just very annoying to have the mexican culture constantly shoved down your throat just because you're colombian.

Portugal is more like Spain, Italy or France (A latin European society)

I don't think America does right by labeling everyone with skin colors and races... it creates problems like this.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:29 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times
Quote:
In France Portuguese people are considered foreigners, even if born there, even if citizens.
It's the French of Portuguese ancestry that consider themselves Portuguese even though they are not. They are completely French in mentality and culture. That is the problem with France, citizens born and raised in France with foreign ancestry are considered as foreginers which creates a lot of problems in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe