Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:32 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
It's the French of Portuguese ancestry that consider themselves Portuguese even though they are not. They are completely French in mentality and culture. That is the problem with France, citizens born and raised in France with foreign ancestry are considered as foreginers which creates a lot of problems in society.
Excuse me but WTF no.
Please people stop with your nonsense.
No matter if you're French of whatever ancestry of "pure souche", you're still French and everyone see you like that. The exceptions will maybe be with North Africans and the like, but surely not with the Portuguese, Spanish, Italians, or what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 03:39 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Excuse me but WTF no.
No matter if you're French of whatever ancestry of "pure souche", you're still French and everyone see you like that. The exceptions will maybe be with North Africans and the like, but surely not with the Portuguese, Spanish, Italians, or what not.
It's not nonsense. I lived in France and know the Portuguese community there and many of then consider themselves Portuguese even though they lived in France all their lives and don't know how to speak Portuguese. The same happens with North and Sub-saharan Africans. They are not considered French even though they were born and lived in France all their lives. Don't deny the truth because I know it well!

Old 08-23-2015, 03:46 PM

I'm not even going to argue with you. I'm fed up of that sort of attitude.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:48 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,759 times
What Kind of attitude? The one that you can't admit the France is not as perfect as you think it is. It is a problem, go to the suburbs of Paris or Lyon and see what they have to say about this topic.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:55 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18;40932395[B
]It's the French of Portuguese ancestry that consider themselves Portuguese even though they are not. They are completely French in mentality and culture.[/b] That is the problem with France, citizens born and raised in France with foreign ancestry are considered as foreginers which creates a lot of problems in society.
Here in California where I live the descendants of Portuguese immigrants sometimes identify as Portuguese up to four generations even those with partial ancestry even though they don't speak the language and are culturally American often times they still retain elements of Portuguese cultural identity. People often underestimate the the distinctiveness of Portuguese culture and there is a certain cohesiveness that can't be replaced by American culture in my case, Anglo cultures are just not as warm not even close by a long shot.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
What Kind of attitude? The one that you can't admit the France is not as perfect as you think it is. It is a problem, go to the suburbs of Paris or Lyon and see what they have to say about this topic.
Oh please I'm the first to criticize my own country, didn't you know that French people love to do that ? Complain about their own country ?
I live in a cité, I'm going to repeat myself again, my cité is composed of a majority of "foreigners", North Africans, Blacks, Gypsies and Romanians, so I think I know what those people who lives in that sort of environment think, no need to go to Lyon or Paris.

Now, I'm going to stop or my posts are going to be removed for being off-topic.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 PM

749 posts, read 856,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Excuse me but WTF no.
I can see you are an open-minded accepting person, and that is a good thing. Nonetheless overall as a society still views individuals with foreign sounding last names will never be regarded as full ethnic french people. Citizenship is a legal status more than anything else and that does not change this issue much.

Truth to be said I think the problem lies in the fact that the goal for these immigrants's offspring is to become full ethnic french people, something that will never happen because it is impossible even though they were born there and speak the language like natives. People will always identify them according to their country of origin.

Many people think that the only way to stop being labeled immigrants as outsiders is to deny your ancestor's culture and to embrace your country of residence's culture. But no matter how much they do people will always identify them according to their country of origin, and that creates a conflict.

Rather than using the "one size fit all" type of thinking, people should learn to accept and allow differences.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I can see you are an open-minded accepting person, and that is a good thing. Nonetheless overall as a society still views individuals with foreign sounding last names will never be regarded as full ethnic french people. Citizenship is a legal status more than anything else and that does not change this issue much.

Truth to be said I think the problem lies in the fact that the goal for these immigrants's offspring is to become full ethnic french people, something that will never happen because it is impossible even though they were born there and speak the language like natives. People will always identify them according to their country of origin.

Many people think that the only way to stop being labeled immigrants as outsiders is to deny your ancestor's culture and to embrace your country of residence's culture. But no matter how much they do people will always identify them according to their country of origin, and that creates a conflict.

Rather than using the "one size fit all" type of thinking, people should learn to accept and allow differences.
I have plenty of things to say, because I don't agree with you at all, sadly my English is bad and my vocabulary limited, so I'm going to repeat myself again, I don't agree with it all.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It's not nonsense. I lived in France and know the Portuguese community there and many of then consider themselves Portuguese even though they lived in France all their lives and don't know how to speak Portuguese. The same happens with North and Sub-saharan Africans. They are not considered French even though they were born and lived in France all their lives. Don't deny the truth because I know it well!

Well, I think you over generalize a little here. The Portuguese community in that country is now old enough to have people of 3rd and 4th generation. Nowadays many, specially among newer generations, are not full blood Portuguese and didn't receive a Portuguese education.

I agree with you there are many youngsters over there who think that wearing a football jersey, or put a flag in their cars are the only requirement to be Portuguese and do not bother otherwise to know about the country. However I was not one of those, I am a highly educated individual very knowledgeable about Portuguese language, History and literature.

Is Portuguese who wants to be and has an unconditional love the country and its culture.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Here in California where I live the descendants of Portuguese immigrants sometimes identify as Portuguese up to four generations even those with partial ancestry even though they don't speak the language and are culturally American often times they still retain elements of Portuguese cultural identity. People often underestimate the the distinctiveness of Portuguese culture and there is a certain cohesiveness that can't be replaced by American culture in my case, Anglo cultures are just not as warm not even close by a long shot.
Yes I noticed that the Portuguese community in California was able to maintain its identity in spite of being much older and smaller than the one in France for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe