Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:54 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFP View Post
Portugal is a very poor country sustained by EU. Brazil is far richer, at least the country has a future.
No its not. Portugal is a rich countru co.pated to the rest of tje world. Portuguese people are much richer than the average Brazilians and quality of life is a billion times better in Portugal than in Brazil. Besides the Brazilian economy is going downhill lately.
Ignorance at its finest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:09 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times
Quote:
Quality of life is subjective!!!
Average Brazilians are not EU.
Average Portuguese and descendants are better off in Brazil.
Brazil is an emergent power that put satelites in orbit, aircraft, commodity producer..
Portugal? Cod.
No they are not. Portuguese standard of living is average of the EU. And what is the point of having an emerging economy if most of your citizens live badly. Brazil is unsafe, the education and health system is bad (as I've been told by several Brazilians).
Instead of bashing Portugal and expressing your xenophobia you should really do some resarch.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
I'm talking about macroeconomic figures, finance, commodities, future. Of course you can't measure a country that is a barrage of Switzerland and Africa with a stagnated country with the same parameters, but Brazil is an emergent power.
Present the numbers and and discuss your analysis of them.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:04 AM
AFP

Quote:
What for?
Just common sense. Brazil is a world power, an important part of the BRIC that sits in every important world conference. Brazil manufactures rockets, jet planes, high technology, largest exporter of many commodities and a country barely exploited.
Portugal depends on Brazil inflows..and the EU.
Put up or shut up.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
The question is not whether they are liked or not but whether they are considered foreigners, outsiders. You referred to them as "Portuguese" therefore you notice a difference, because obviously there is a difference.
Outsiders by what perspective? You are in Southern California. The foreign-born are much more significant than the local-born. If Hispanics are accepting you as 'one of their own,' and they are the dominant person there, than you apparently aren't being considered an outsider at all.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
I also understand I must be irritating for Spanish speaking Latin Americans living in the US to be always labeled and referred to as "Mexicans". This is why it is important for the census to come up with different, more specific categories.
It's all regional.

Look, LA is right next to Mexico, and Portugal is 1000s of miles away. It's logical that Mexicans in California probably won't know much about Portugal. I would say you are being a bit ethnocentric to assume Mexican immigrants in Southern California should be Portugal-aware.

However, if you were to relocate to say MIAMI or NEW YORK or BOSTON; it is very unlikely anyone would ever associate you with Mexico solely because you speak Spanish/Portuguese. The Spanish-speaking demographics are completely different; and on the East Coast you'd have more Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, etc. There are also enough Portuguese and Brazilians in Mass, NJ, FL and such; that you might easily encounter people who'd get that right as well. The Mexican presence is much less among the Spanish-speaking communities on the East Coast.

In short, it's all regional.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:02 PM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Outsiders by what perspective? You are in Southern California. The foreign-born are much more significant than the local-born. If Hispanics are accepting you as 'one of their own,' and they are the dominant person there, than you apparently aren't being considered an outsider at all.

I believe you misunderstood the thread. The answer you are commenting on wasn't related to hispanics or southern California whatsoever.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 PM

11 posts, read 34,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny0881 View Post
Portugal is very different from any Spanish speaking Latin American country. If anything, Brazil inherited some cultural traits from their former colonizer, Portugal, much like the rest of us did from Spain which is Portugal's neighbor and sibling.

The closest I have ever come to experiencing Portuguese people and culture has been paying visits to the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, NJ, which I believe still hosts one of the most important enclaves of Portuguese immigrants in the United States. Portuguese food is very similar to Spanish food (from Spain) they eat a Portuguese version of Paella, but which is slightly different but just as delicious. Their cuisine seems to focus mostly on seafood, whereas Spanish cuisine in general focuses on farm animals and seafood combined. Culturally-wise, the Portuguese bear their closest resemblance to their neighbor and brother nation, Spain, whereas their language, at first listen sounds completely different from both Brazilian Portuguese and even more different from Spanish. In fact, many Portuguese look down on BR Portuguese as "wrong Portuguese".

A typical Hispanic person, upon first encountering the Portuguese culture and language, will find it very different from their own and very distant as well. Portuguese, especially the original one from Portugal, sounds almost completely incomprehensible to us, and similar to listening to Polish. Brazilian is a bit easier but still very unintelligible when you're not used to it. Some Portuguese and Brazilian people, though, do feel some kind of closeness to the Hispanic community, so much so that they quickly learn how to speak Spanish to communicate with us, something Hispanics pretty much never do the other way around. Almost every Portuguese and Brazilian person I encounter knows how to speak Portuguese, Spanish and English whereas many Hispanics don't even bother learning how to speak English properly. This "trilingualism" is something I always envied from Portuguese and Brazilian people and it was one of the driving factors that made me learn Portuguese.

Portuguese and Brazilian immigrants in general seem to keep their shops and stores cleaner and neater than many Hispanic bodegas and supermarkets.
Portugal and Brasil speak the same language, Portuguese.
There is no such think as Brazilian or Potuguese language.
Portuguese is a very hard language to learn.
Yes our food is similar to Spain, but we eat more fish cause we have sea everywhere
And our brothers are Brazilians, Spanish are our neighbours
Im Portuguese born, raise and living in Portugal.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:45 AM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's all regional.

Look, LA is right next to Mexico, and Portugal is 1000s of miles away. It's logical that Mexicans in California probably won't know much about Portugal. I would say you are being a bit ethnocentric to assume Mexican immigrants in Southern California should be Portugal-aware.

However, if you were to relocate to say MIAMI or NEW YORK or BOSTON; it is very unlikely anyone would ever associate you with Mexico solely because you speak Spanish/Portuguese. The Spanish-speaking demographics are completely different; and on the East Coast you'd have more Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, etc. There are also enough Portuguese and Brazilians in Mass, NJ, FL and such; that you might easily encounter people who'd get that right as well. The Mexican presence is much less among the Spanish-speaking communities on the East Coast.

In short, it's all regional.

Well actually the definition of ethnocentricism is to interpret someone's culture through the prism of our own. I do not expect Mexicans to know about Portugal more than the average Portuguese person knows about Mexico. I believe it is not unrealistic to expect from Mexicans or Hispanics in general to know the definition of Hispanic. However Mexicans and Hispanics usually know that Portuguese people aren't Hispanics, it's more a problem of mainstream America, even a supposedly respectable academic institution such as the UCLA has a master's degree program in Hispanic languages which comprises Spanish and Portuguese....

Old 09-20-2015, 09:31 AM
AFP

Quote:
Well actually the definition of ethnocentricism is to interpret someone's culture through the prism of our own. I do not expect Mexicans to know about Portugal more than the average Portuguese person knows about Mexico. I believe it is not unrealistic to expect from Mexicans or Hispanics in general to know the definition of Hispanic. However Mexicans and Hispanics usually know that Portuguese people aren't Hispanics, it's more a problem of mainstream America, even a supposedly respectable academic institution such as the UCLA has a master's degree program in Hispanic languages which comprises Spanish and Portuguese....

University of California, Berkelely does a much better job in that respect they have named their department the Department of Spanish & Portuguese. I do understand that the interest in Portuguese studies isn't great enough to have a separate department at most Universities. I suspect that Portuguese studies were an afterthought and were included into the existing Hispanic studies in some cases however it is inaccurate to include Portuguese studies as a subset of Hispanic studies and to be honest irritating as we are a separate culture from Spain and Latin America. Spanish speaking programs in the USA are Hispanic-centric which adds another layer.

Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe