Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 05:25 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, Schengen was a stupid idea. And this crisis might as well mean its end, which would be a good thing for a change.

I read that a lot of immigrants living in the UK are already applying for British citizenship now because of the planned referendum on EU membership there.
But you're German and you live in Portugal. Of all people you should be the one liking the idea of Schengen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
But you're German and you live in Portugal. Of all people you should be the one liking the idea of Schengen.
No, I hate it. I wish there were real borders again and visa even. There are way too many tourists and foreigners here for my taste. And real old-skool immigration (as opposed to moving house) has always been possible, for centuries before Schengen.
I think there should be compulsory language tests and everyone not fluent three years after moving here, should be kicked out.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:29 PM
F18

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
That's why there is a serious need to fix the situation now, and I don't think closing all borders is a good one, because refugees and migrants will keep coming, because they always hope for a better life than the one they left behind. Moreover, there will always be people making money out of migrants, I'm speaking of the illegal traffic. If everything was controlled by Europe, if all the countries decided together of a number of refugees to be dispatched all over the European Community to divide the costs and avoid possible social issues, the situation would be vastly improved. If we continue to watch without doing anything, it will always get worse.

Also, I believe countries like Lebanon have already welcomed an enormous syrian population, too much for them to handle. How long until Lebanon and nearby countries start to have more problems ? Europe should not leave them alone.

France welcomed Armenians who had escaped from the genocide. Their descendents are now part of the French community. Singer Charles Aznavour and F1 driver Alain Prost are both of Armenian ancestry.
This is so true. Sadly many people think it is better to let these refugees die before reaching Europe. The EU must act and find a solution quickly.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:33 PM
F18

Quote:
No, I hate it. I wish there were real borders again and visa even. There are way too many tourists here for my taste. And real old-skool immigration (as opposed to moving house) has always been possible, for centuries before Schengen.
True but before moving from one country to another was very hard, besides Schengen is economically (Especially trade) benifitial. It is not only about movement of people.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
True but before moving from one country to another was very hard, besides Schengen is economically (Especially trade) benifitial. It is not only about movement of people.
That is the charm with real immigration, it is an achievement, a privilege in exchange for the effort, an effort one is willing to make because one really likes the target country and culture.

I don't believe in selling one's identity and soul for money...

Old 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Quote:
France welcomed Armenians who had escaped from the genocide. Their descendents are now part of the French community. Singer Charles Aznavour and F1 driver Alain Prost are both of Armenian ancestry.
You display the typical ignorance of European middle class, which want to show their superiority through useless and suicidal arms opening to their enemies.

Armenians were and are a friendly, pro-West nation.

That is not the case with Muslims. Islam was from beginning anti-Western. Mohamed built his religious - political empire both to satisfy his psychopathic illusion of self-importance and to destroy the Europe, represented at the time by Byzantines.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:18 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
You display the typical ignorance of European middle class, which want to show their superiority through useless and suicidal arms opening to their enemies.

Armenians were and are a friendly, pro-West nation.

That is not the case with Muslims. Islam was from beginning anti-Western. Mohamed built his religious - political empire both to satisfy his psychopathic illusion of self-importance and to destroy the Europe, represented at the time by Byzantines.
Well for starters, i know many pakistanis, morrocans, aficans (mali, senegal....), some bengalese, etc. Many of them happen to be muslim. I can't say i know every muslim person in the world, but the ones i know happen to have the will to be part of the european society. When i was living in Lyon, i was in a neighborhood with many algerians, so i knew some of them.

How strange !

regarding Armenians.... From a western point of view they're always foreigners from far away. I mean, there were even riots againts Italians of all people in the south of France in time of crisis at the end of the 19th century, and yet you would believe they would be all europeans and Catholics and thus brothers.... It was not the case !

Stupidity does not care for religion or origin... There is always someone to hate for close minded people.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Well for starters, i know many pakistanis, morrocans, aficans (mali, senegal....), some bengalese, etc. Many of them happen to be muslim. I can't say i know every muslim person in the world, but the ones i know happen to have the will to be part of the european society. When i was living in Lyon, i was in a neighborhood with many algerians, so i knew some of them.
A true Muslim won't want to be part of a society that lives against the principles of islam. You should start reading the islamic textes to know how the non-islamic society is described in their theology. Everything non-islamic is considered evil and must be brought under islamic domination and humiliated, or destroyed. Those people you know are either ignorant of islam, or closet apostates, in any case not a devout Muslim. You probably came to known them because some common interests of activities which a true Muslim won't take part in so you haven't come yet to know a true Muslim. As they are not fanaticized, those aquintances of yours probably are not dangerous but among Muslims will always be a significantly big, dangerous minority of fanatics, that would slit your throat smilling if they think this is what Allah wants.

Quote:
It was not the case !
Far better than Muslims, anyway.

Quote:
Stupidity does not care for religion or origin... There is always someone to hate for close minded people.
You're generalising in a naive way, thinking that if the Muslims you met were peaceful individuals, all Muslims are the same. How about turning the tv set on and watching some news about what Muslim terrorists do around the world? Or read some French newspapers from 2005-2009, if memory is not helping you.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:43 AM

And even the people of Muslim background which you knew and were peaceful, do you think they will behave the same way toward Europeans if they would become majoritary, or even not majoritary but will reach a significant percentage, like 30%? I tend to think not. Muslims, both practicising and nominal (formal), are quite unpredictible. They may behave normally a long period and sudden turn fanaticized and do some bad thing.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:54 AM

491 posts, read 1,652,718 times
Quote:
That is the charm with real immigration, it is an achievement, a privilege in exchange for the effort, an effort one is willing to make because one really likes the target country and culture.

I don't believe in selling one's identity and soul for money...
Beautifully said!

What's happening in the West (Europe and North America) is the audacity and sense of entitlement that migrants must be given. I believe in legal immigration where laws must be abide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe