Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 07:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Beautifully said!

What's happening in the West (Europe and North America) is the audacity and sense of entitlement that migrants must be given. I believe in legal immigration where laws must be abide.
Indeed, it is strange when people move from one EU country to another without having to ask anyone for permission to do so. Like, "I want to live in France, I will simply move there next week whether they want me or not. And why would I speak their language? I have the right to be there."

The only thing that is left today is acquiring citizenship, which is still kind of a challenge, thus one feels rewarded and special when one finally receives it.
I already find it strange when people insist on dual citizenship when acquiring a new citizenship. In my view if someone likes their original citizenship so much, they should stay in that country in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:37 AM

German customs officers have found several parcels full of authentic and forged Syrian passports, which are in great demand among refugees from various countries because as a Syrian you are more likely to be allowed to stay in the EU.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:53 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No, I hate it. I wish there were real borders again and visa even. There are way too many tourists and foreigners here for my taste. And real old-skool immigration (as opposed to moving house) has always been possible, for centuries before Schengen.
I think there should be compulsory language tests and everyone not fluent three years after moving here, should be kicked out.
But you're a foreigner yourself living in Portugal. You're one of them. You're one of the people who annoy you so much.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
A true Muslim won't want to be part of a society that lives against the principles of islam. You should start reading the islamic textes to know how the non-islamic society is described in their theology. Everything non-islamic is considered evil and must be brought under islamic domination and humiliated, or destroyed. Those people you know are either ignorant of islam, or closet apostates, in any case not a devout Muslim. You probably came to known them because some common interests of activities which a true Muslim won't take part in so you haven't come yet to know a true Muslim. As they are not fanaticized, those aquintances of yours probably are not dangerous but among Muslims will always be a significantly big, dangerous minority of fanatics, that would slit your throat smilling if they think this is what Allah wants.

Far better than Muslims, anyway.

You're generalising in a naive way, thinking that if the Muslims you met were peaceful individuals, all Muslims are the same. How about turning the tv set on and watching some news about what Muslim terrorists do around the world? Or read some French newspapers from 2005-2009, if memory is not helping you.
You seem to have a deep hatred of muslims, I am sorry for you. And if considering that all muslims are bad is not generalizing, I don't know what is !

Do you even know anyone who is muslim ? The fact is, I do.

I don't make any distinction between "true" muslims and other types of muslims. I believe most people who come to Europe and who are muslims are confronted to a different society, and have to adapt their lifestyles and understand where they are, because they are the minority and arrive in countries where they are different.

I don't think there will ever be an "invasion" of muslim people in Europe, if there have been problems in France in the last decade, it is mostly because France has failed to recognize its muslim minority as a part of society, and has a deep problem of using the notion of "laicity".

I know there is a minority of fanatics, but then again they are a very tiny minority.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
But you're a foreigner yourself living in Portugal. You're one of them. You're one of the people who annoy you so much.
There's a difference between a legal and an illegal foreigner.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
There's a difference between a legal and an illegal foreigner.
It's not relevant, as I didn't notice he/she differentiated between the two.

The irony is, even if they all would be legal, they would still annoy him/her, being an immigrant themselves.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
They don't "annoy me so much", but yes indeed, I don't like it.

I am different from most foreigners here in that I am fluent in Portuguese and lead a normal Portuguese life, whereas many foreigners live like short- or long-term tourists, that have little to do with the Portuguese. Basically they are just here because of the sun and the beaches.

it also shows for instance during sports events such as soccer championships, where most Germans and Brits here want Germany or Britain to win against Portugal, whereas I naturally am on Portugal's side.

Do US Americans like it when the US plays Mexico in the US, and the US Latino community shows the Mexican flag?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They don't "annoy me so much", but yes indeed, I don't like it.

I am different from most foreigners here in that I am fluent in Portuguese and lead a normal Portuguese life, whereas many foreigners live like short- or long-term tourists, that have little to do with the Portuguese. Basically they are just here because of the sun and the beaches.

it also shows for instance during sports events such as soccer championships, where most Germans and Brits here want Germany or Britain to win against Portugal, whereas I naturally am on Portugal's side.

Do US Americans like it when the US plays Mexico in the US, and the US Latino community shows the Mexican flag?
I love your posts!

Of course, you're different! You are exceptional, and definitely deserve to be treated differently than most other immigrants/ foreigners in Portugal.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,860 times
The Muslims in Europe are 'moderate'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOx6nfzrxFc

Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I love your posts!

Of course, you're different! You are exceptional, and definitely deserve to be treated differently than most other immigrants/ foreigners in Portugal.
No need for sarcasm

But really, I think learning the language is the least one can do when living in another country for years. I have even seen ambassadors who can hardly speak Portuguese after years and years in this country. Such people are a disgrace and an insult to the host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe