Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 AM

602 posts, read 496,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Dutch are famous for being cheap and stingy, so this thread sounds absurd. The Dutch make even the modest Germans look like LA-style fashion victims.

Where did you come up with these ideas? You see a lot of flashy Kim Kardashian types in Netherlands?

And who wears Hermes pants? Even in Manhattan or Beverly Hills or Monaco that wouldn't be common. But in Groningen or Eindhoven? LOL.
Perhaps not in Groningen or Eindhoven, but Rotterdamn is overflowing with Hermes pants wearing, garden bragging, materialistic Dutch people. Ugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 AM

185 posts, read 258,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As the cost of living is quite high, I think it's quite natural. Also, we tend to be very aware of prices, cost and try to get the best value out of everything. I assume that with the Swiss as well, we are used to money and it's all around us. Many has it, and all want to have a piece of that cake. But I personally think we are quite realistic with money, and our lives definitely don't revolve around it. I think most people would rather have more vacation than more money.
Come on, just because the cost of living is high, you don't have to talk about money and the price of things ALL THE TIME!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:08 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
Kim kardashian is American trash, the nationalities I am quoting are different from kim kardashian.
No, actually you don't even know what you previously wrote. Re-read your initial post. You are claiming that the Dutch are typically dressing/acting like Kim Kardashian or Jersey Shore types (flashy, label whores, tacky, etc.)
Quote:
You obviously don't know many dutch it seems, the dutch are not the high easy going tourists in the red light district of amsterdam, get out of there and submerge yourself in the real Netherlands (outside of all the touristy areas) with the actual Dutch on their daily lives!
Sorry, but I was born about 70 km from Netherlands and know the Dutch well. I've been all over Netherlands. They are indeed very stingy/cheap and are famous for their modesty and simple, unobtrusive style. They wear Jack Wolfskin, not Hermes. Hermes is so pricey that basically no one wears it outside of a few extremely affluent places on earth.
Quote:
I've met plenty of people from those places and this is my experience, but not only mine.... several europeans from other nationalities that I know also comment the same!
Well let's see if others agree with you on this thread. I suspect no one else will agree with you, as your claims are completely outlandish.

How could this even be true? Dutch salaries are not that high, and cost of living is rather high, so how could everyone be wearing Prada/Gucci/Hermes and driving Audis and flying business class? That makes no sense.

Median salaries are much lower than in the U.S., for example, and yet relatively few people in the U.S. are wearing Hermes and driving fancy cars, and the U.S. is much more flashy than Netherlands. So how could a less wealthy, more modest country have tons of people living like the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
The Dutch are famous for being cheap and stingy, so this thread sounds absurd. The Dutch make even the modest Germans look like LA-style fashion victims.
you have not seen many Dutch!!! OBVIOUSLY

you have a very "Europe, 10 countries in five days" cliche views of Europe and european people!

you said many times you're from the US, now you're suddenly from Germany? please!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 AM

And Hermes pants retail for about 1,000 USD, BTW. And that's in the U.S. Prices in Netherlands are likely higher.

There are only 2 Hermes locations in all of Netherlands. In contrast very modest Germany has 11.

Or, to compare to the U.S., the NYC metro area alone has 9 locations. Yet in NYC it would be very unusual to see someone wearing Hermes pants. That would be far from the norm, even in the most affluent neighborhoods of Manhattan.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
Perhaps not in Groningen or Eindhoven, but Rotterdamn is overflowing with Hermes pants wearing, garden bragging, materialistic Dutch people. Ugh...
Don't forget the old vintage classic cars, they are everywhere in the summer when the sun is out and you have to take your vintage 1940's vehicle for a ride around town!

a common fixture of many northern european cities in the summer, because northern europeans are VERY CLASSY!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Maybe cause their guments take so much of it in taxes.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
And Hermes pants retail for about 1,000 USD, BTW. And that's in the U.S. Prices in Netherlands are likely higher.

There are only 2 Hermes locations in all of Netherlands. In contrast very modest Germany has 11.

Or, to compare to the U.S., the NYC metro area alone has 9 locations. Yet in NYC it would be very unusual to see someone wearing Hermes pants. That would be far from the norm, even in the most affluent neighborhoods of Manhattan.
huh? who is talking about the US and how hermes costs there?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
you have not seen many Dutch!!! OBVIOUSLY
Well then let's ask the Dutch on this thread. Who is correct? Are the Dutch known for their modesty and thrift, as I claim, or are they known to be Kim Kardashian/Jersey Shore types, as you claim?
Quote:
you have a very "Europe, 10 countries in five days" cliche views of Europe and european people!
Really? Amazing considering I spent half my life in Europe. Tell me more about these supposed Dutch "cliches", given that you have obviously never stepped foot in Netherlands (or probably Europe for that matter).
Quote:
you said many times you're from the US, now you're suddenly from Germany? please!
All wrong. I never said I'm from the U.S. I was born and raised in Germany. I hold German citizenship and passport.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Well then let's ask the Dutch on this thread. Who is correct? Are the Dutch known for their modesty and thrift, as I claim, or are they known to be Kim Kardashian/Jersey Shore types, as you claim?

Really? Amazing considering I spent half my life in Europe. Tell me more about these supposed Dutch "cliches", given that you have obviously never stepped foot in Netherlands (or probably Europe for that matter).

All wrong. I never said I'm from the U.S. I was born and raised in Germany. I hold German citizenship and passport.
Jersey shore? kim kardashian?

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

you obviously have NO IDEA what I mean when dutch and escandknavians talk non-stop about money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe