Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:31 AM

185 posts, read 258,712 times

Advertisements

Every time I have a conversation with Dutch, Flemish or Nordic people all they do is talk about their garden, the salary they have, the job they have, the house they have, the bag they bought, you look at them and they all look like a fashion advertisement....

Versace glasses, prada shirt, hermes pants, gucci shoes.... then you gotta have an Audi and pretend you're sophisticated and classy while acting like a big cliche!

Recently I went out for a drive around those suburban areas in one of the countries mentioned above, and it's all the same.... pretty gardens, clean houses with big windows and no curtains, and an audi/mercedes/BMW/volvo parked next to the house. One house after the other!

Very quick to dismiss Americans as inferior and not classy and dumb, but themselves are very sterile people.... almost 0 personalities, very introverted in their own little worlds with little to nothing to offer to third parties other than yap about mainstream stuff (pseudo-intellectual subjective topics filled with tired cliche PC views, which countries u went to, how much money you make in your job) and other depressing stuff like that.

I am not generalizing, but this is a variable I've found a LOT when dealing with Dutch and Escandinavians in general.

I found the Germans to be much more humble and with much more substance as people!

I went out on dates with two dutch men so far and they both told me exactly the same (they only fly Qatar Airways Business class)... are you serious? SO YOU HAVE MONEY, WHO CARES! I DON'T FOR SURE!

Scandinavian guys are also quite similar, I met a Swedish one who is pretty obsessed with his body and forgets the world exists when real madrid is playing.... also another iphone, Audi, gucci, prada, hermes victim!

Am I the only girl with these experiences?

Last edited by ulta; 08-26-2015 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:06 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
I agree with some things but believe me there are still many people here that don't care about expensive things -fashion, luxury cars, business class etc.

In the end i believe there are more U.S. lovers than haters in the Netherlands.

I drive a 2nd hand Opel Corsa OPC from 2008 or 2009 (not even sure lol), don't care about brands (do care about quality tho), always fly economy class and still use the same Blackberry i bought 5 years ago.

The average Dutchmen is stingy and kinda paranoid, likes to save up money for future security, the complete opposite as you described.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Been on imaginary trips again? Because both in the Nordics and the Netherlands, it's huge paux pas to brag about money or being extravagantly flashy with your possessions. Under no circumstances should you ask either a Scandinavian or a Dutch how much money he/she makes and how much they have. I don't even know how much my parents make a month. I would never dare to ask, and they would never answer.

If anything, we are quite humble with money and have a very high price-awareness, and avoid talk about money. Yes, many people have nice cars, because they are doing well. But bragging about how much your Mercedes cost will make others think you're a douche.

Neither have I heard anyone except my mother talk about gardening. For most people it's just an annoying chore. Dunno about the Netherlands. In fact, all your assumptions about "Escandinavians" are false. Educate yourself and try again.

Last edited by Ariete; 08-26-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,002 times
I noticed this in England, Switzerland and with Swedish friends too, salaries and money seem to be very important.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 AM

It would've been so easy for you:

Ten Things Not to Do When You Travel to Finland
Ten Things Not to Do When You Travel to Sweden
Ten Things You Should Avoid in Norway
Ten Things Not to Do When You Travel to Denmark

4. Don't Brag

Actually, no one likes a self-important braggart, but the Finns have an especially low tolerance towards it. Fins are modest and downplay their own accomplishments and hardly make a fuss about anything. Here, humility and grace will get you far, as they view modesty as the biggest virtue.

10. Don't be Flashy

Your trip might not be about making friends, but if you come to Sweden as the cast of Jersey Shore, you are in for a world of rebuking. The social filters will go up and your new local acquaintances will try to avoid you like a gunshot to the head. In Sweden, everything is done in moderation, from everyday clothing to late night clubbing in Stockholm. People have fun, but just enough without making a nuisance of themselves. Remember that loud antagonizer at your local bar? You won’t find them here, so considering this inclination towards moderation a blessing.

1. Don't Leave a 20% Tip

Not much tipping is required in Norway, as the service charge will always be included in your bill. It is comon courtesy, however, to round up your bill to the next even 5 or 10 NOK amount, e.g. a 37,58 bill to 40 NOK. 10% is considered generous, but leavemore than 15% and you’re just showing off.

10. Don't be Surprised by Frank Opinions

Danes don’t sugar-coat to win your favor. They believe an honest approach is the best one. If you ask a question, expect an honest answer. This does not mean to say that Danes are always serious and without humor. They are outspoken and lively once they warm up to you, but in serious conversations, they will not mince words.

Everything applies for every country.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I noticed this in England, Switzerland and with Swedish friends too, salaries and money seem to be very important.
As the cost of living is quite high, I think it's quite natural. Also, we tend to be very aware of prices, cost and try to get the best value out of everything. I assume that with the Swiss as well, we are used to money and it's all around us. Many has it, and all want to have a piece of that cake. But I personally think we are quite realistic with money, and our lives definitely don't revolve around it. I think most people would rather have more vacation than more money.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
The Dutch are famous for being cheap and stingy, so this thread sounds absurd. The Dutch make even the modest Germans look like LA-style fashion victims.

Where did you come up with these ideas? You see a lot of flashy Kim Kardashian types in Netherlands?

And who wears Hermes pants? Even in Manhattan or Beverly Hills or Monaco that wouldn't be common. But in Groningen or Eindhoven? LOL.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As the cost of living is quite high, I think it's quite natural. Also, we tend to be very aware of prices, cost and try to get the best value out of everything. I assume that with the Swiss as well, we are used to money and it's all around us. Many has it, and all want to have a piece of that cake. But I personally think we are quite realistic with money, and our lives definitely don't revolve around it. I think most people would rather have more vacation than more money.
That is important everywhere I think

Old 08-26-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
With the Swedish for me has been a broken record... money, money, money, I work so much omg I don't have enough money, money money money money money money and money!

Then you go out in group and they always talk about how the drinks are so expensive, 20 euros omg.... and look at the cute high heel shoes I have they're from pure leather from Cape Verde, and blah blah blah when I was in Thailand blah blah blah money money blah blah my last holiday money money money!!!!

I met quite a few in Switzerland (Geneva) mostly from Netherlands and Sweden who are like that.

I haven't met many norwegians but I've been told they can be quite new money acting and very very arrogant, and the few I've seen all dress in fashion brands

it's all so tacky!!! I mean they think they have so much class because of that Louis vuitton purse, but it's tacky!! it's like looking at one of those overdressed manicured full of make up Russian women but with haute-couture brands!

The English I also met a few like that, though I also met many who avoid being like that (it depends on the social class)

but with the Dutch and the scandinavians and the swiss is like they all graduated from the "let's talk and obsessed about money" high school!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Dutch are famous for being cheap and stingy, so this thread sounds absurd. The Dutch make even the modest Germans look like LA-style fashion victims.

Where did you come up with these ideas? You see a lot of flashy Kim Kardashian types in Netherlands?
Kim kardashian is American trash, the nationalities I am quoting are different from kim kardashian.

You obviously don't know many dutch it seems, the dutch are not the high easy going tourists in the red light district of amsterdam, get out of there and submerge yourself in the real Netherlands (outside of all the touristy areas) with the actual Dutch on their daily lives!

I've met plenty of people from those places and this is my experience, but not only mine.... several europeans from other nationalities that I know also comment the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe