Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,664,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Iceland would be a terrible choice for a first time visit to Europe. There's very little to see.

I think there are more interesting things to do in a single Roman or Florentine neighborhood than in all of Iceland.
There is only very little to see if you don't appreciate nature at all. Given that the OP, specifically asked about nature, I doubt they gets bored by it, like you do. I don't know where you got this idea that this is their first trip to Europe, in fact the OP says that they were in Greece just last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
There is only very little to see if you don't appreciate nature at all.
I appreciate nature, but Iceland has very little variety in terms of natural environment. And its cities are complete bores, IMO.

If you like the very specific type of natural environment in Iceland (bleak, subarctic emptiness) then I agree it's a good choice, but I think most would laugh if one claimed Iceland to be more beautiful than a Switzerland or an Italy or an Austria.

Iceland looks the same as basically half of Canada or Russia. I don't see how it compares to the Dolomites or Lake Como or the Cinque Terre or Capri or the Amalfi Coast. If it were commonly thought of as beautiful, then it would get vast numbers of tourists, but it doesn't.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Europe can have sometime surprising contrasts, when you see those pictures you feel like been lost into a lost island in the middle of nowhere while you are actually on the municipality land of the second biggest french city.

http://www.calanques13.com/photo/cal...es-sugiton.jpg

http://www.ledenboat.com/site/images...4c55aca54c.jpg

http://www.calanques13.com/photo/cal...le-sormiou.jpg

http://pcafpageperso.free.fr/Calanqu...daire_0048.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-31-2015 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I appreciate nature, but Iceland has very little variety in terms of natural environment. And its cities are complete bores, IMO.

If you like the very specific type of natural environment in Iceland (bleak, subarctic emptiness) then I agree it's a good choice, but I think most would laugh if one claimed Iceland to be more beautiful than a Switzerland or an Italy or an Austria.

Iceland looks the same as basically half of Canada or Russia. I don't see how it compares to the Dolomites or Lake Como or the Cinque Terre or Capri or the Amalfi Coast. If it were commonly thought of as beautiful, then it would get vast numbers of tourists, but it doesn't.
agree. There is no comparison between Iceland and a more diverse country like Italy.

I don't know why people keep romanticize Iceland. Just because it is remote and has population of a small city doesn't make it that much more beautiful than other countries.

When I was visiting Yellowstone, I overheard some British tourist commenting that it is much more interesting and impressive than what they saw in Iceland.

Same applies to Norway. Yes, it has some breathtaking views at some places, but to say it overall has better landscape than Italy or France is downright ridiculous.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Iceland has not much ecosystems and in this respect is equally dead (and uninteresting from my pov) with Western Europe, where ecosystems have been destroyed by man centuries ago. Ofcourse you can call "nature" a landscape with dried rocks from Sahara and its has its poetry, but a visit in a biologically rich environment like rainforest jungle is a far more complex, mind opening and healing experience (heals both soul and body).

And the best kept secret is that we have this in Europe. Is kept secret literally, as western media don't want to popularize Romania, in order to preserve their monopoly image as "leading nations". And as average people believe what they are told (we see this on this forum as well), and about Romania nothing is told, they think is nothing interesting out here. On other hand, Romanians are too idiotic to realize the treasure they sit with their asses on or how to promote it.

Nevertheless, this situation can't last long, from one point it will start to leak and all the efforts to hide Romania's values will have a backlash effect, in Romania's advantage. A lie has short legs, to express using a Romanian saying.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2015 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Mod cut.

Natrural scenery, picturesque european villages, good restaurants, hot air balloon ride and or paragliding, maybe some cycling as well as white-water rafting.... Site seeing. I wanna be in the most beautiful area in Europe.

When I was in Greece last year, I just couldn't believe the stunning natural beauty of the Agaen sea, the dramatic rise of the mountains out of the sea, the beautiful little villages, it was glorious.

Someone posted some pics off the french coast, which looks aboslutely lovely. Because I live in Miami I am drawn toward landscapes and scenery not like Miami, so something with mountains, lakes, quaint villages, european style and sophistication. I want to hike, bike, and just soak up as much as I can. I'm trying to keep it to like 2 or three countries and spend 4 or 5 days in each.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2015 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reference to posts which have been deleted).

Old 08-31-2015, 05:43 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,812 times
When I saw this thread, my first thought was to suggest the hiking trail (or river boat) along the Rhine river in Germany, between Cologne and Mainz. I have always thought that area was one of the most scenic areas I have ever seen.

However, the suggestions about Romania (by Carpathian) and Croatia (Ruthfortruth) sound great. If you have a minute, do a search on Romania in on City Data. Carpathian has posted some outstanding pictures of Romania. The Romanian countryside looks phenomenal.

As far as the Dalmatian islands of Croatia, I can give my personal opinion in another month or two, as my girl friend and I will be going on a cruise through that area soon. I hope the area is a beautiful as Ruthfortruth suggests!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:56 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Iceland, while in Europe is not Europe Europe.....
What?

Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
What?
I think that meant that, although politically and culturally Iceland is European, this user doesn't actually accept it as truly part of Europe. Probably because it's too remote and not even close to the mainland. Or maybe something about widespread belief in fairies.

If you're looking for something a little less obvious but breathtaking, maybe Picos de Europa in northeastern Spain.

Charmonix, France would give you great views of Mont Blanc, Europe's highest peak. I think just under 5,000m. You can take a cable car to three or four thousand metres around the surrounding peaks and get some unreal views.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
If you want scenery (depending on the time of year) my suggestion is pick a region in proximity to maximize your 16 day trip.

Croatia: then spend a few days along the Dalmatian coast as RuthforTruth mentioned take a drive or tour bus to Plitvice Lakes. It is breathtaking, the outdoor equivalent of feng shui. The lakes are carved out of karst formations and create multiple terraced waterfalls that you can walk amongst on trails.

Slovenia: Then take train ride from Zagreb to Ljubljana (scenic). In Slovenia, spend a few days in historic old town (supposed destination of one of Jason and Argonauts travels) enjoy the richness of its capital city also a university town, Tivoli park with some Museums and then have a getaway day / night to Lake Bled.

Italy: Cinque Terra, hike the trail between the ancient fishing villages that hug the coastline.

Hungary: Lake Balaton

Some old posts that may be helpful depending on your interests
//www.city-data.com/forum/trave...l#post30864382
If you want to pick Baltic States
//www.city-data.com/forum/europ...l#post35950667

Last edited by ciceropolo; 08-31-2015 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: additional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe