Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 AM

36 posts, read 35,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Correct me if am wrong but no one forced Germany/Frau Merkel to issue an all welcome appeal; it was their/her decision in response to the plight of these "migrants" stuck at the border of Hungary and other eastern European countries.

Problem now thanks to Merkel Germany is in this up to their necks. She cannot say "no" now and indeed has doubled down on her offers. What the end game is I certainly do not know but you hear numbers upwards of 800k being "accepted" into Germany.

Germany can take those numbers and even more. Syrian are better prepared than other mass immigrations such as Turks, Italians and Ossies, the latter were a disaster. It will take time, but it will work. As to religion, Germany does not care about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've heard EU gov was *asking* Baltic countries to relieve the pressure mounting with influx of those non-EU refugees ( Middle-East-Africa) and to accept some quotas (certain amount of refugees) in Baltic counties?
Is it true?
Yes, the first quota that was to distribute 40 or 50k of them, they suggested to take like 1k of them, that is for Estonia, less for Latvia and Lithuania if I remember correctly. In the end we agreed to take between 150-200.

The second one that seeks to distribute 140k of them I don't know remember, but if you deny to take 'em, you have to pay a fine of 0.002 of your GDP, which in Estonias case would be 400k euros.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apis2015 View Post
Germany can take those numbers and even more. Syrian are better prepared than other mass immigrations such as Turks, Italians and Ossies, the latter were a disaster. It will take time, but it will work. As to religion, Germany does not care about religion.
Germany has just closed here border. I guess they don't want any more.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:03 PM

36 posts, read 35,060 times
Up to 1.000.000 in a couple of years. They might need more in the coming years.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh woo to Russia!
So how many "terrorist attacks," "drain on social programs supporting refugees" in Europe, and "crimes they are committing" did Syria contribute to, while under Assad?
Hint; it's every time the US ( read their faithful allies from Gulf states) are sticking their nose in international affairs, trying to hit Russian interests ( and yes, Assad was protecting Russian interests in the region) here and there, guess what starts happening?
Yep, precisely what you've described above.

P.S. Have to add something regarding "for Russia and Islamic terrorists it's a win win."
Pretty ahem... how should I put it - unintelligent to make such statements.
Since Russia has been dealing with Islamic terrorists since the 1800ies, and Russia still has them potentially on her own territory, giving a hand to terrorists was always a weapon of American choice ( Afghanistan, Chechnia anyone?) although sometimes the funding was provided through the faithful allies of the US - the Saudis.
I'm aware of the problems Russia has had with Muslim terrorist as well as USA governments involvement in Islamic countries. I'm not saying Russia is working with ISIS. ISIS is working against the Syrian government and other nearby areas. This instability is what has led to the refugees fleeing Syria. What it doesn't explain is why they chose to flee Syria to travel to central and Western Europe instead of nearby Muslim countries that share similar culture and religion? An influx of so many refugees is a severe impact on a country. Even if a half a percent are terrorist pretending to be refugees, that small number and the actions they carry out will impact the nation and how they react towards the refugees. Though Russia has problems with terrorist, that doesn't mean that they oppose them outside of Russia. Destabilizing Europe puts Russia at an advantage. Germany and some other EU nations are fools to blindly open the doors to all the refugees. Hiding among the sheep will be several wolves.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:30 PM

401 posts, read 650,069 times
This migrant crisis was inevitable ... the world could not expect Turkey and Lebanon to take in all the refugees. I'm pretty sure their living conditions in those countries are not so great, and since Syria and Iraq will be unstable for a while (give it at least a decade for the situation to get better in those countries) those refugees are now headed to Europe, where they hope they could live a decent life. How could we blame the refugees for seeking a better life in Europe when their country is at war ? We can't. So Europe has to take its share of refugees. Who would deny that ? I think in Europe everybody agrees that while this is not ideal we have to take in refugees.

The real problem is how many. And how to select them. Also how to be sure ISIS terrorists won't try to get into Europe this way ? This situation is really f*cked up in many ways. Germany is saying they will accept 800k, France is talking 30k or so. Not sure about other European countries. But what are we gonna do with the extra ones, once those quotas are reached ? Send them back to ... where ? Syria ? Turkey ? We won't be able to send them back, for humanitarian reasons mostly.
Those numbers don't mean much. Europe will take in as many refugees reach EU soil. Hungary is now building a wall to block migrants from entering their country. I'm not sure why we let them do that. What's gonna happen at the Hungary border when this wall is built ? Don't expect those migrants to give up on entering Europe.

It seems that European politicians are lost on this issue. Markel is making everything worse by encouraging migrants to come to Germany. They are 4 f**king millions refugees total. When they all hear the good news about the good life in Germany and the rest of Europe from their friends, what are they going to do ? Stay in Turkey and Lebanon ? I don't think so.

This is just the beginning of this issue, expect many consequences in the months/years/decades to come.

I don't think Europe is screwed or anything so drastic however, but this is something else we are going to have to deal with. Ideal scenario would be that the war in Syria ends soon and that we put an end to ISIS and El-Assad regime, so that those refugees can go back to where they are from, but hey we all know this is going to take a very long time before this area of the world gets anywhere near stable, and when it does the refugees will be integrated enough in Europe and they won't want to come back to a post-war land.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:12 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm aware of the problems Russia has had with Muslim terrorist as well as USA governments involvement in Islamic countries. I'm not saying Russia is working with ISIS. ISIS is working against the Syrian government and other nearby areas. This instability is what has led to the refugees fleeing Syria. What it doesn't explain is why they chose to flee Syria to travel to central and Western Europe instead of nearby Muslim countries that share similar culture and religion?
Oh boy. Because the countries that shared "similar culture and religion" with Syria were already destroyed - namely Iraq and Libya; or do you think that all the muslim counties are the same just because they are "muslim?" Syria ( like Iraq) has been ruled by Baathist party ( here it is one more time -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba%27ath_Party
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_S...3_Syria_Region

and the kind of society they've had there was quite different from, say, Saudi Arabia which is Islamic country as well. So quite a few of Syrians fled to Jordan and Turkey ( again - more or less acceptable versions of Islamic countries,) but what (it looks like) Syrian middle class to me - they made their run for Europe, because; #1 - they are used to a higher quality of life under Assad, and #2 they used to a lax laws on Islam - meaning under Assad people of different cultures and religions were coexisting side by side and were allowed to practice their religions. So in Europe, this middle class Syrians would feel safe in this respect - that although they still could practice their Islamic faith ( if they choose to,) it won't be shoved down their throats; they won't be forced to have a life like in Gulf countries for example. When I am looking at some of their images, they remind me, say, of Azerbaijanis somewhere in the Caucasus. A similar situation -an Islamic country that hosted "Eurosong." So yes, I do quite understand why Syrian middle class ( although still Islamic) would prefer to move to Europe instead of such place as Gulf countries, which supposedly share their religion.

Quote:
An influx of so many refugees is a severe impact on a country.
Of course it will; Europe is overwhelmed with immigration as it is.

Quote:
Even if a half a percent are terrorist pretending to be refugees, that small number and the actions they carry out will impact the nation and how they react towards the refugees.
Of course a threat of radical Islamists penetrating Europe with the crowd of refugees is very real and very dangerous.

Quote:
Though Russia has problems with terrorist, that doesn't mean that they oppose them outside of Russia.
Says who? When you sit in the glass house, you don't throw stones as they say. So no, Russia in any ways doesn't support Islamic terrorism in any form, because their own home-grown can raise their ugly head.

Quote:
Destabilizing Europe puts Russia at an advantage.
Pray-tell me how exactly? The wild hordes of Europeans will start running to Russia, ( those computer geeks and Porsche engineers in particular) or what? It's not like Europeans were not moving there in droves earlier in history, in search of lands/opportunities, and they did invested greatly in what's considered now "Russian culture," but no one in their right mind would want to move now to Putin's Russia. I mean when Americans did all their dirty tricks twenty years ago in Moscow, they've cut future opportunities in economy and what's not for Europeans even on that front.

Quote:
Germany and some other EU nations are fools to blindly open the doors to all the refugees. Hiding among the sheep will be several wolves.
Of course they risk big time.
But at this point - it's already "the worse, the better" as they say.
A point of no return.

Last edited by erasure; 09-13-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe