Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:07 PM

720 posts, read 920,329 times

Advertisements

I just came back from this region, I can tell you that 90% of the people I spoke to are totally against EU's push towards accepting refugees. I think the major problem is this is way to unorganized, what do you guys think?

'Today refugees, tomorrow terrorists': Eastern Europeans chant anti-Islam slogans in demonstrations against refugees - Europe - World - The Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,915 times
I think it's the suddenness that's the problem--it's a huge number of people arriving in a very short span of time, and the impression I get from watching news footage is that some locations are quite chaotic. It's amazing that the EU didn't see this problem coming, but then, as they say, hindsight is 20:20. In smaller numbers, and more gradually, I think they could be absorbed. But not at this rate.

The EU needs to come up with an answer to the problem quickly, and find a way to slow down the stream of people coming from the Middle East. That region is constantly in conflict, so they have to find a way to discourage an uncontrolled vast movement of people.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Much of EE was under the or under constant Turkish invasions and we know Muslims better than the West do.

You still live in dreamland.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
what I don't understand is why the migrants, once arrived in Greece, an EU country, didn't follow their route through the EU, crossing into Bulgaria then Romania to get to Hungary , and instead elected to travel through non EU countries Macedonia and Serbia to try to enter the EU again in Hungary (and now it seems also Croatia) . It seems completely illogical, irrationnal.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
According to Frontex data for the first six months of 2015 16% of the migrants are Syrian; 7% Afghanistani; 4% Iraqi; 2% Eitrean; 2% Somali. The other 69% are from the Balkans or other safe countries.

In other words, 70% of the "refugees" are actually economic migrants, mostly from Eastern Europe.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
According to Frontex data for the first six months of 2015 16% of the migrants are Syrian; 7% Afghanistani; 4% Iraqi; 2% Eitrean; 2% Somali. The other 69% are from the Balkans or other safe countries.

In other words, 70% of the "refugees" are actually economic migrants, mostly from Eastern Europe.
In other words: Eastern Europe MOSTLY will leave the EU soon.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:17 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,565,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
what I don't understand is why the migrants, once arrived in Greece, an EU country, didn't follow their route through the EU, crossing into Bulgaria then Romania to get to Hungary , and instead elected to travel through non EU countries Macedonia and Serbia to try to enter the EU again in Hungary (and now it seems also Croatia) . It seems completely illogical, irrationnal.
I think Romania(ns) would not permit such thing, they don't fall for the "refugee crysis" hoax. Romanians have experience with Oriental tricks, especially because we learned from Roma people, who consider successful swindling a virtue and who swindled us for decades.

There would be demonstrations against Muslims, vigilante patrols at border etc. Perhaps Muslims are informed about this state of mind in Romania but I think rather they prefer to travel through countries they know more, Romania having lesser international visibility than Macedonia and Serbia and being perceived probably like some unsafe area.

Last edited by CARPATHIAN; 09-16-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
Romania "less international visibility" than ...tiny Macedonia? I don't believe it. Either the people's smugglers find it easier that way (shorter) either they are weary of Bulgarians (who have erected a razor wire wall on its turkish border). Either way it proves that the Schengen treaty is a farce. And those crowds exiting and entering again the EU like drooling flies? so bizarre...

Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Serbo-Hungarian border today from what I understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=128&v=n-1bG6ad9iw

Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Yeah, true. Would Serbia/Hungary really be perceived to be less hostile than Turkey/Greece, or Romania, Bulgaria, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe