Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:04 PM

26,785 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

P.S. Deej, Your DM is off (just in case you are not aware,) so I can't even respond to your DM)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 03:07 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Are you out of your mind?
You've been given SIX YEARS to learn the language of civilized people)))

Old 09-20-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
I'm glad you feel ashamed of yourself.
This is clearly a disturbing situation.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
This was always my perception and understanding throughout the years; that foreigners (but in particular Americans) just could not speak French well enough to be easily understood. That instead, they would prefer you don't speak to them at all if you could not be fluent and understood. But again as I say it was only what I had heard from well travelled family members.

Does it irritate French people when someone tries to speak the French language?

So when speaking to a Frenchman, your safest bet may be to try some of your best French and throw in some practiced phrases about your ambition to become fluent in his beautiful language, and how sorry you are for any mistakes you may make. If you need to speak English in his country, have the courtesy to ask whether he minds first.

https://www.quora.com/Does-it-irrita...rench-language

Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This was always my perception and understanding throughout the years; that foreigners (but in particular Americans) just could not speak French well enough to be easily understood. That instead, they would prefer you don't speak to them at all if you could not be fluent and understood. But again as I say it was only what I had heard from well travelled family members.

Does it irritate French people when someone tries to speak the French language?

So when speaking to a Frenchman, your safest bet may be to try some of your best French and throw in some practiced phrases about your ambition to become fluent in his beautiful language, and how sorry you are for any mistakes you may make. If you need to speak English in his country, have the courtesy to ask whether he minds first.

https://www.quora.com/Does-it-irrita...rench-language
NO.
There is so many misconceptions about French people on here that I'm not even sure what to say.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
NO.
That's because you haven't heard Russians speaking it. Yet. So wait and see)))

Quote:
There is so many misconceptions about French people on here that I'm not even sure what to say.
Well, start somewhere...Somehow.
(Otherwise you'll have to speak English till the rest of your life. While in France.)

Old 09-20-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
That's because you haven't heard Russians speaking it. Yet. So wait and see)))
I know what a Russian speaking French sound like you know and it's very nice.

Quote:
Well, start somewhere...Somehow.
(Otherwise you'll have to speak English till the rest of your life. While in France.)
In fact I'm disgusted with some answers on the link. No French people don't want to mock you if you make a mistake when speaking, no French people aren't mourning their ancient glory and crying because English is now the lengua franca of the world (this stereotype there make me want to kill someone though).

Gah.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:55 PM

111 posts, read 110,840 times
I know more french guys with american women .... not the way around

Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
So have I, in fact -- lots more American man/French woman relationships. I lived in Paris for almost 3 years. All told, there's actually a fair amount of romancing between the two countries (male or female, gay or straight). SuomiReader's crack about American men not being imaginative in bed is hilarious. Here's a Finn -- someone from a country whose men are considered to be among the most unattractive in the West -- taking a swipe at American men, who are actually considered to be rather desirable in France. No American or Canadian man I ever met in Paris had problems in that regard, even middle-aged men.
I lived in France for a few years (Paris in particular), did not notice that at all.

Come to think of it, the American men I knew doing well in Paris were typically of minority groups, black guys in particular and some Asians too.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:14 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,112,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battinrouge2 View Post
I lived in France for a few years (Paris in particular), did not notice that at all.

Come to think of it, the American men I knew doing well in Paris were typically of minority groups, black guys in particular and some Asians too.
Not my experience, sorry. I met too many couples where the man was white American and the woman was French. The man generally spoke French with the French woman, but often had not mastered it (unless they were there to study French or linguistics or something related). I also knew French men with American girlfriends (two couples ended up marrying), and all the women had mastered French in most cases. Germany is a country where you typically see more black American men and white German women. In France, no -- there were plenty of white American men with French girlfriends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe