Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I never heard that.

Dunno.

A simple Google search, however, seems to confirm that the issue does indeed exist.
Well you never heard of the gay thing and I never heard of the back door thing, we're the same.

That's really weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Because American women are more appealing to French men than French women are appealing to American men?

Actually, I'm not sure your statement is true, but if it is, it may be because French women are closer emotionally to their families than French men and don't want to face the possibility of leaving France. Or it may be simply because there are more French men in America on business transfers than French women, so the opportunity is greater, or a bit of both.

At any rate, relocation (where to live) is an important issue in cross-national/cultural relationships. I met my danish wife in Denmark, on a short-term assignment. She would not relocate permanently to the US for all the tea in China, for family reasons.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:50 AM

59 posts, read 58,851 times
American women are not appealing at all unless they are movie actors, musicians, models.

Most just don't care about looks and are overweight, and the way they talk scares people, crows, sparrows...very shrilling accents and ....loud.

One thing that puzzles me... I see many overweight girls and women standing in queue in junk food places, they don't seem to care about weight.

Then you see groups of middle aged wealthy Americans, that are fit, dress nicely, talk normally. The diference is even more apalling that among Brits.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Right. This is going to make me angry. Of any real size, huh? For who? Oh yeah sure we don't have American-type cities here, so what? It doesn't mean that there isn't cities with "any real size". There I'm done with my ranting.
Posters here bring back so many memories of France -- so very sensitive to any kind of criticism. I was responding to your statement "How many Americans did you see in Paris? I'm sure it's the only place in France where you can see them."

Answer: Actually, Paris pretty much IS the only French city you'll find many Americans, as it's the only real metropolis in France (and thus the place where you're most likely to encounter Franco-American couples). No one is claiming France "should have more American-type cities" -- I laughed when I read that. But it should have more large cities than just Paris. Lyon and Marseille (only 1.4 million in their urban areas) are 2nd and 3rd largest in France, followed by Lille and Toulouse. Cities of this very modest size don't attract many people from other countries (not just Americans). Other important countries like Italy, Spain, Germany, Canada, and Australia all have several big metropolitan areas that attract foreign residents. France has only one city in that league, though Strasbourg comes close. In that way, yes, France is more provincial.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 09-24-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:01 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,215 times
Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Posters here bring back so many memories of France -- so very sensitive to any kind of criticism.

Quote:
I was responding to your statement "How many Americans did you see in Paris? I'm sure it's the only place in France where you can see them."
Right, I wasn't expecting that sort of response, but well...

Quote:
Answer: Actually, Paris pretty much IS the only French city you'll find many Americans, as it's the only real metropolis in France (and thus the place where you're most likely to encounter Franco-American couples).
Didn't I said it was an American thing earlier or something? The majority of Americans here seems only to know Paris and that's all so it's logical that you'll mostly see them there, right? Told you, British expats everywhere in the south west -- just an American thing.

Quote:
No one is claiming France "should have more American-type cities" -- I laughed when I read that.
Did I claimed that? I only said said we don't have Americans-type cities here, where did I say that someone was claiming that we needed them?
And please laugh some more, at least there's one of us who find something funny here.

Quote:
But it should have more large cities than just Paris.
Who are you to tell if a country need more large cities or not? This is really becoming ridiculous.

Quote:
Other important countries like Italy, Spain, Germany, Canada, and Australia all have several big metropolitan areas that attract foreign residents. France has only one city in that league, though Strasbourg comes close. In that way, yes, France is more provincial.
Blah blah blah... France isn't Italy or Spain or whatever, we don't have the same history remember? So not the same history -- not the same cities, simple. Don't like it? Too bad.

I'm banging my head against my desk very hard now, can you hear it?
People here have some big problems with the size of our cities -- oops I mean towns and villages -- they're so small! ...

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-17-2015 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 09-24-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post

I'm banging my head against my desk very hard now, can you hear it?
People here have some big problems with the size of our cities -- oops I mean towns and villages -- they're so small! ...
Don't bang your head against your desk -- you'll hurt your head. Other than Paris, French cities just aren't that large (a fact), so when you see Americans or Franco-American couples, they will almost always be living in Greater Paris. When I lived in Dijon, I knew few Americans and only one F-A couple; in Paris, I saw and knew a fair number of them. That's all. Relax.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:01 PM

59 posts, read 58,851 times
Americans live in cozy places all around France you ignore, and I don't see they why they have to be married with French women. Is that some fixation with some Hollywod films?

Dijon, brother man, they have moutarde there. I can't envisage why Americans should be living there or why should they be married with French women.

You should show more humility, living in Paris some short time does not teach you a thing about France.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
My sister's ex-husband's first wife was French (he obviously can't stayed married to anyone). He met her while he was in the armed forces in Europe. He did have two kids with her but they stayed in France after he basically abandoned them. To be honest, he's not a very good example for French women getting involved with American men.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming100 View Post

Dijon, brother man, they have moutarde there. .
The city has so much more to offer than just Dijon mustard, though I love la moutarde as much as anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming100 View Post
. I can't envisage why Americans should be living there or why should they be married with French women. .
There's a large university in Dijon, so some Americans (and Europeans, too) do live there. And I knew one Franco-American couple in Dijon, but far more than that in Paris.

I lived in France for almost three years. Most of those years were spent in Paris, but I've been to all corners of France. The South of France and Alsace are my favorite regions. I actually like Marseille, Aix, and Strasbourg more than I do Paris.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 PM

181 posts, read 231,986 times
Quote:
Answer: Actually, Paris pretty much IS the only French city you'll find many Americans, as it's the only real metropolis in France (and thus the place where you're most likely to encounter Franco-American couples). No one is claiming France "should have more American-type cities" -- I laughed when I read that. But it should have more large cities than just Paris. Lyon and Marseille (only 1.4 million in their urban areas) are 2nd and 3rd largest in France, followed by Lille and Toulouse. Cities of this very modest size don't attract many people from other countries (not just Americans). Other important countries like Italy, Spain, Germany, Canada, and Australia all have several big metropolitan areas that attract foreign residents. France has only one city in that league, though Strasbourg comes close. In that way, yes, France is more provincial.
Lol! Lyon is as large as Munich, Toulouse is as large as Dublin, and Lille is larger than Antwerp. So if France is provincial, then so is most of Europe!

And there are many foreign residents in France outside of Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe