Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,523 times

Advertisements

these days that is, not historically but just something I have noticed

Is there some sort of a stigma towards going for an American guy in France or something?

Also, just my experience or are French women just a lot more open to going for guys of minority groups (black, brown, asian) than their Anglo sisters?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 06:11 PM

181 posts, read 231,949 times
I think that's because American guys are too lame/not imaginative enough in bed for French girls. The other way around works, for obvious reasons.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
I have lived in both France and the US and I haven't noticed very many French/American couples of any kind, either in France or in the US. The reason behind it is probably due to the fact that the US and France are geographically very far apart and there aren't too many French people in the US or Americans in France, permanent residents at least.
Just so you know french girls in general do not carry any stigma against american guys, and they are at least as open to dating minorities as American girls since many people in France could pass as minority the way it is meant in the US.
Have you ever been to France?

Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I have known more American man/French woman couples than the reverse.

If there are more of the reverse, I would suggest it is because single American women go to France to shop for husbands.

Although there is a sterotype in America of French women being beautiful, they are also considered fickle and difficult. On the other hand, American women consider French men to be smooth (if unfaithful). These are, of course, only stereotypes.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have known more American man/French woman couples than the reverse.

If there are more of the reverse, I would suggest it is because single American women go to France to shop for husbands.

So have I, in fact -- lots more American man/French woman relationships. I lived in Paris for almost 3 years. All told, there's actually a fair amount of romancing between the two countries (male or female, gay or straight). SuomiReader's crack about American men not being imaginative in bed is hilarious. Here's a Finn -- someone from a country whose men are considered to be among the most unattractive in the West -- taking a swipe at American men, who are actually considered to be rather desirable in France. No American or Canadian man I ever met in Paris had problems in that regard, even middle-aged men.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 09-19-2015 at 09:01 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 12:49 PM

35 posts, read 33,369 times
I am an American guy with a French girlfriend....I think one of the biggest reasons that American guys aren't with so many French women is because there is a language barrier. In almost every other European country a majority of young people speak English. That is still not the case in France. Whenever I go to france on vacation with my girlfriend she has to translate everything to me with her friends since none of them speak English. They are all younger than 25 years old.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:57 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA&France View Post
I am an American guy with a French girlfriend....I think one of the biggest reasons that American guys aren't with so many French women is because there is a language barrier. In almost every other European country a majority of young people speak English. That is still not the case in France. Whenever I go to france on vacation with my girlfriend she has to translate everything to me with her friends since none of them speak English. They are all younger than 25 years old.
Lol is all I have to say. Or MDR for that matter.

Oh I wanted to say something else too but I am trying to be a polite person.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:35 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA&France View Post

Let's see if I can give a little bit of objective background here. English is taught at each and every single school in France so the average student has about 6 years of English instruction under his or her belt by 18. Certainly the degree of proficiency will vary greatly from one student to another but the majority will have at least some working knowledge of English. Also I suspect Americans to expect (demand?) foreigners to have native proficiency in English and will label anything below as "poor" or "thick accent", this probably because their experience learning a foreign language is oftentimes so limited that it doesn't occur to them it is nearly impossible for someone learning a foreign language to ever sound exactly like a native speaker.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:43 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Let's see if I can give a little bit of objective background here. English is taught at each and every single school in France so the average student has about 6 years of English instruction under his or her belt by 18. Certainly the degree of proficiency will vary greatly from one student to another but the majority will have at least some working knowledge of English. Also I suspect Americans to expect (demand?) foreigners to have native proficiency in English and will label anything below as "poor" or "thick accent", this probably because their experience learning a foreign language is oftentimes so limited that it doesn't occur to them it is nearly impossible for someone learning a foreign language to ever sound exactly like a native speaker.
The way English is taught in school isn't great I think. Well it wasn't great when I was in collège. Too much emphazise on writing and grammar and not on speaking. For example I can write English but not speak it. But what the other poster said is a bit inconsiderate IMHO. You're in France, speak French or at least try. It's not because English is "the global language" that all the other languages should be forgotten. If I were to go to the USA, I'm sure everyone would expect me to speak English, so why when some person go to France, they have to complain on why no one there speak English to their liking? L'hôpital qui se fout de la charité, right ?

Sorry.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 09-20-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 02:51 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
The way English is taught in school isn't great I think. Well it wasn't great when I was in collège. Too much emphazise on writing and grammar and not on speaking. For example I can write English but not speak it. But what the other poster said is a bit inconsiderate IMHO. You're in France, speak French or at least try.
Are you out of your mind?
You've been given SIX YEARS to learn the language of civilized people)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe