Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Georgia Europe to you? Explain in the post.
There is a mainland Europe attachment Between Georgia-Europe 2 10.00%
Not too much of a conspicuous entire Mainland Europe grouping with Georgia, yet there is a deep Eastern Europe connection 6 30.00%
Just a subtle Eastern Europe label merging into Georgia, yet not very Encapsulating. 6 30.00%
Barely any association to anywhere in Europe 6 30.00%
Not any groupings with the Continent at all. 0 0%
I don't know. Undecided. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times

Advertisements

Not too important but recently there was some football game in Bulgaria and when the Georgian team arrived the locals start calling them gipsies. Then...when the Bulgarians went to Georgia - the georgians called them gipsies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
Georgia : "the incredible shrinking country" (lost 15% of its pre-1991 territory), home of Stalin and Saakachvili, sanctuary of islamist terrorists during the Chechen war, not European anyway (located in Asia Minor).
Enough said. Not only is it located in the boondocks, but has an extremely negative impact on regional politics. Not important anyway for it is a midget country. I have far more consideration for their Armenian neighbours , who fought for their freedom all through history , notably in front of the genocidal policies of Turkey.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:12 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Georgia : "the incredible shrinking country" (lost 15% of its pre-1991 territory), home of Stalin and Saakachvili, sanctuary of islamist terrorists during the Chechen war, not European anyway (located in Asia Minor).
Enough said. Not only is it located in the boondocks, but has an extremely negative impact on regional politics. Not important anyway for it is a midget country. I have far more consideration for their Armenian neighbours , who fought for their freedom all through history , notably in front of the genocidal policies of Turkey.
No, Georgians are not Europeans - you feel presence of ancient history that's older than Europe when you set foot in their land, but to be honest - if this country would have ever reached its potential, I would consider moving there and living happily ever after. Yes, they are in the boondocks, yes they are not worldly people, they are gullible and thus can be manipulated, but they have a lot of good qualities going for them too.

This is the short CBS film, ( the overview) and of course since it's the CBS, Russia is a "bad guy" meaning that no matter how much these guys ( Georgians) are trying to attribute the preservation of their authentic culture and Christianity to their own merits, truth is - it was Russia that preserved it and protected them from Islamization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOvLUO27r0M

And since you've touched the topic of Islamist terrorists , I assume you meant the events in Pankisi Gorge (and Pankisi Gorge crisis.) See, the problem is, that this was the area of Georgia populated by mostly Chechens, and of course when additional refuges started moving in there during the Chechen war with Russia, in the midst of them moved the terrorists as well ( sounds familiar, isn't it? ) And since this is the mountainous area, it's not easy to control it.
Of course from the nineties on, Georgia became quite hostile to Russia, but it's difficult to blame them, when the main enemies of Russia were actually sitting in Kremlin and wouldn't even give a hand to their own people ( i.e. ethnic Russians) bombed and killed in Grozny.

But back to Georgians and why I like their country.

Hospitality and "soulfulness" are their middle names, they know how to party and celebrate life in general, they are unique born singers and dancers. Not to mention that Georgia is a gorgeous land, where the mountains meet the Black sea. If this country could ever reach its potential, I'd like to live on the sea shore there. It's practically made for tourism - the ancient cites, people are very welcoming, hospitable and friendly ( I already mentioned that) the food is awesome and the landscape is beautiful. Plus they know how to entertain. So Georgia is basically created for hospitality industry, but because of its remote location, it can't attract tourists from all over the world, and thus it remains poor and underdeveloped. So the way I see it, it was meant then to be for Russians ( as a resort area,) but circumstances are preventing it so far.
So here is few more videos, proving how unique and welcoming this country is.

This is just general "feel" of it one more time;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrKkackXUTs

This is about the uniqueness of Georgian cuisine

( you can see how friendly people are even through all these interactions )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWomR7OM9qE

Last edited by erasure; 07-05-2016 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
And this is of course Georgians - naturally born singers and dancers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is0q-Teblz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZxGDuz9qmU

Georgian party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUXTIBKgLpg

Georgian party plus reading poems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL5W3TgFEuk

Old 07-05-2016, 11:29 PM
 started this thread
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Geographic size coverage land area is not relevant. What truly matters is the actual quality, and what the nation offers. This exact entire alien nation of Georgia totally delivers to the tourist or visitor dream when applicable. Very spiritual, deep and unique. I don't understand your discrimination towards degree of geographic magnitude order. With that type of bias, Russia must be your absolute favorite when in reality it's lots of other smaller geographic made countries. Georgia is more stable lately, and infinitely higher desirable allure to tourists compared to Armenia. Including with more heavy touristic infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Not too important but recently there was some football game in Bulgaria and when the Georgian team arrived the locals start calling them gipsies. Then...when the Bulgarians went to Georgia - the georgians called them gipsies...
Accurate twist with the Roma Gypsy joke. Wow, Bulgaria technically has the highest percentage of those Gypsies than any other country of Europe around 4% to 10% of the entire national demographics. Quite significant! They are able to create their own independent separation. Another dramatic revelation is at least 7.8% of Bulgaria is Muslim Islamic. Some regions even are getting close to majority levels depending on where someone is focusing on. Especially around Silistra, Ruse, Razgrad, Shumen Provinces of Bulgaria. Can't believe those amount of Muslims 1 hour 30 minutes away from Bucharest Romania when crossing the border!

This summer, I am finally going to Bulgaria more often again right around beach lands of Dobrich Province up to Varna on my days off. Let me discover what are the best zones to experience on quick weekend road trips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe