Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 03:18 PM

45 posts, read 35,198 times

Advertisements

This is like KFC saying Chinese people are cruel because they eat dogs.

United States, as a country, has done more damage towards the fight against climate change than any other country or region on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 03:43 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
You want V12 power for $400K? Do you even have the money?

Btw, no I did not forget to read the rest of comments written (plus did not want to elaborate with personal examples but..) I own a 2010 Passat Wagon and drive it in the South, where it's hot. The car's dashboard has creaked/squeaked from week 2-3(bought new). It is the European Passat(75% parts from Germany, assembled in Emden). Wagons are immensely popular in Europe (7 out of 10 Passats sold in Germany are wagons), so due to my lifestyle, decided to buy 1. Not a good decision. I had the dealer change 5 dashboard panels but could not isolate the squeaks. Consumer Guide was spot on on their assessment of the vehicle's interior. Long story short, I had to remove many of the cheap plasticky panels by myself to apply double faced tape to make the creaking go away(not entirely). I've never done this with any car I have purchased, American or Japanese. So much about German quality.

To add insult to injury, the arm rest has developed ripples/bubbled up and have had issues from carbon build up(had to remove the intake to clean the carbon from the valves - look it up (VW's/Audi's develop this issue due to direct injection technology they use). So never again..

Not to mention when I swapped tires last month, an American mechanic, in lieu of the scandal, said to me VW cars are junk(and I defended them from day 1 to support my decision of buying one). So let's get real here. American cars are not what they used to be and the Germans have been cutting corners for quite some time. This scandal was to be expected.

The CTS-V is one of the finest sport sedans ever produced, definitely an M series killer.

2016 Cadillac CTS-V First Drive [w/video]

2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

The trucks produced in the US cannot be matched by the Germans, they are work horses, so ..

Also check this... (Venom GT engine made in the US). So much about the Veyron.

I like how you never mention anything about Daimler's bribing?? Any questions?
So you bought a lemon. That is annoying. I also owned a VW some years ago. It was a Golf and I never had any major issues. A friend of mine has a 2009 VW Passat and he is happy with the car. Who cares if one mechanic said that VW was junk. I can find many that dislike Ford, Tesla or even Nissan.

The CTS-V, the Charger or (American) trucks are not popular outside of North America. The VW Amarok has sold quite well in Europe, but only farmers and carpenters buy that type of cars.

Can you afford to buy a Hennessey Venom? The car costs over $1 million and they only made 8 cars (vs. 407 Veyrons). The car is also a modified Lotus and is registered as a Lotus Exige. John Hennessey is a known scam artist. Just ask several Corvette and Viper owners.

The Daimler case is one case and it is five years old. I find it funny that an American is criticizing corporate crimes in Germany. That is like a Saudi criticizing human rights violations in North Korea.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM

401 posts, read 534,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Of course it is not.

Yes, vintage American cars are quite popular, especially in the Nordic countries, but modern ones are not. Just take a look at the sales statistics:

UK - Jeep sold 3,909 cars. That is a 0.2% market share. Porsche actually sold 134% more cars than Jeep.
Germany
France

Americans do not use CID as a measurement for displacement anymore. I guess you are an old Amcar enthusiast. I think most European countries tax by emission and not displacement. Ford and GM have been very successful in Europe, but only by selling cars specifically developed for the region.

I thought modern Audis had the standard best rust-proofing in the industry?

From a Swedish site:
Jeep Cherokee - 2/5
VW Passat - 4/5
Chevrolet Trax - 2/5
Jeep Renegade - 1/5
Audi A6 - 5/5
Yes, Americans also now use liters when measuring cylinder volume - but the point is that cylinder volume, along with kW and weight is used as a factor when calculating car tax.

A car or truck that cost $ 30k in the US will wind up costing $ 130k in some countries in Europe. Various car manufacturers also protect their own European brand. Although many in Europe would like to purchase a Cadillac, European GM wishes to promote Opel.

Jeep is a brand that specializes in 4X4 - and can be hardly compared to a sports brand. A brand with 4X4 capabilities will basically sell well in the marginal small Northern European market. Why don`t you compare with the new Ford Mustang? The Mustang is the worlds best selling sports car - selling 76 000 on world basis.

Look around you at the amount of rust on German cars. VWs, Audis and especially Mercedes has enormous problems on salt-covered Nordic roads. We are not talking solely body panels, but also brake and suspension components. German makes have tried to improve by offering galvanized chassis from around 2007 and newer models. Ask anyone that works in a body shop what they think about Audi.

Also, I wouldn`t compare European or Korean built sub-standard cars with an expensive German car with aluminium chassis. The Jeep Renegade is a disguised Fiat - and the Trax in Europe is built in Korea. Why don`t you compare the rustproofing on let`s say a US built 2015 Ford F150 and a Mercedes E-class?

Last edited by Vikingen; 10-18-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 11:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,178,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So you bought a lemon. That is annoying. I also owned a VW some years ago. It was a Golf and I never had any major issues. A friend of mine has a 2009 VW Passat and he is happy with the car. Who cares if one mechanic said that VW was junk. I can find many that dislike Ford, Tesla or even Nissan.

The CTS-V, the Charger or (American) trucks are not popular outside of North America. The VW Amarok has sold quite well in Europe, but only farmers and carpenters buy that type of cars.

Can you afford to buy a Hennessey Venom? The car costs over $1 million and they only made 8 cars (vs. 407 Veyrons). The car is also a modified Lotus and is registered as a Lotus Exige. John Hennessey is a known scam artist. Just ask several Corvette and Viper owners.

The Daimler case is one case and it is five years old. I find it funny that an American is criticizing corporate crimes in Germany. That is like a Saudi criticizing human rights violations in North Korea.
Not really, I don't consider the car to be a lemon. Aside from the carbon issue and the creaking it has not had any major issues(118K miles so far), but that's mainly because of how treat it. The creaking (mixing low quality plactics with quality ones) proves VW scams the customers to save $ and apply it towards projects that give them better visibility(such as the Veyron). The end result is customers pay more for substandard products.

The Venom's engine is made in the US, TX. That's what counts (Hennessy beefs up Vettes and other cars. No need to explain, they are well known.)

The Daimler case was a fraud case for which the US gov applied the highest fine ever (of course the one for VW will be way higher). Doesn't take too much to realize when there's smoke.. there's fire(perhaps 'fraud' should be the Germans' middle name now).

The CTS-V can smoke many Benzes and BMW's out there..

Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 AM

24 posts, read 33,367 times
Due to this scandal I have reconsidered buying a Skoda. Will buy a Japanese car instead.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
200 + lawsuits have now been filed. No doubt some will get thrown out, others consolidated, but more are likely still in the pipeline.

Lawsuits could force VW to buy back cheating diesels

Short interesting piece from The Brookings Institution on five questions raised.

Five questions about the VW scandal. Now that the initial revelations have sunk in, what can we learn about improving German business culture—and business culture everywhere?

Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 PM

725 posts, read 806,098 times
The whole mess is caused by unreasonable government standards not the VW not making good cars. Politicians need to realize you can only cut emissions from internal combustion so much.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I don't know about the current fraud scandal with VW. All I know is I've owned 2 VW's in the past years. Both had constant problems and I got rid of them. I was so glad to be rid of those cars.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
How Could Volkswagen’s Top Engineers Not Have Known?

The diesel engine has been around for more than 100 years. It was invented in Germany. Is it really possible that a German company run by engineers believed it had suddenly become clean?

The October US auto sales numbers will be released on Nov. 6. All eyes will be on VW. The 2016 models hit the showrooms in October, which is typically one of the busiest months. VW has averaged 30,000 +/- cars a month in the US over the last 21 months.

Here's September's figures, they were down to 26,000, and the story broke with claims of a defeat device on Sept 18, and a VW admission on Sept 21.

Monthly Sales Table -- Automotive News

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

Bloomberg: VW

Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
Yes, Americans also now use liters when measuring cylinder volume - but the point is that cylinder volume, along with kW and weight is used as a factor when calculating car tax.

A car or truck that cost $ 30k in the US will wind up costing $ 130k in some countries in Europe. Various car manufacturers also protect their own European brand. Although many in Europe would like to purchase a Cadillac, European GM wishes to promote Opel.

Jeep is a brand that specializes in 4X4 - and can be hardly compared to a sports brand. A brand with 4X4 capabilities will basically sell well in the marginal small Northern European market. Why don`t you compare with the new Ford Mustang? The Mustang is the worlds best selling sports car - selling 76 000 on world basis.

Look around you at the amount of rust on German cars. VWs, Audis and especially Mercedes has enormous problems on salt-covered Nordic roads. We are not talking solely body panels, but also brake and suspension components. German makes have tried to improve by offering galvanized chassis from around 2007 and newer models. Ask anyone that works in a body shop what they think about Audi.

Also, I wouldn`t compare European or Korean built sub-standard cars with an expensive German car with aluminium chassis. The Jeep Renegade is a disguised Fiat - and the Trax in Europe is built in Korea. Why don`t you compare the rustproofing on let`s say a US built 2015 Ford F150 and a Mercedes E-class?
American cars are not that expensive in the UK or Germany. The Jeep Grand Cherokee starts at around £38k and the new V8 Mustang at £34k in the UK. The latter costs around $47k in Sweden. That is actually quite affordable for a V8 car.

I would not consider the Mustang a sports car. The same goes for the BMW M4. The Mazda Miata/MX-5, on the other hand, is a typical sports car.

SUVs are more popular than sports car. I am pretty sure the Macan and Cayenne are the best-selling Porsche models in the UK. Afterall, Cayenne is the model that saved Porsche 13 years ago.

Top 10 best & worst rust-resistant cars | TheAutonet.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe