Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 AM

10 posts, read 8,595 times

Advertisements

They are hosting thousants of immigrants from Syria and persian countries - only those who can provide cheap work labour. I wouldn't say that Germany prasies a high work ethics.
Eastern countries like Japan and South Korea are famous for highly motivated and honest workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:51 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,002 times
Yeah it is ironic, less moral lesson from Germany from now on, I worked there and all that glitters is not gold anyway.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,154 times
VOLKSWAGEN AND FRIENDS 1: The Volkswagen Group received more than €4 billion in loans from the European Investment Bank over the last decade, with much of the money going to research aimed at developing cleaner engines, POLITICO Pro reports: http://politi.co/1YP9xbH. And according to the Guardian, a wide range of cars emit more pollution in realistic driving tests, data shows. Diesel cars made by Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat and Volvo among others emitted far more NOx than consumers have been led to believe: http://bit.ly/1MHeBYZ

VOLKSWAGEN AND FRIENDS 2 — COMMISSIONER OETTINGER, TO BE PRECISE: Stern reports thatGünther Oettinger, then European energy commissioner and now digital commissioner, acted on instructions from the German car lobby in order to torpedo higher emissions standards, according to documents:http://bit.ly/1LQhPL3

DID VOLKSWAGEN’S AD AGENCY BLACKMAIL FRENCH NEWSPAPERS? “Le Canard enchaîné” has published an email it received from Volkswagen’s media buying agency MediaCom, telling it not to publish negative stories about the company if it wanted to keep advertising the company had booked. http://bit.ly/1N2gCBY

VW emissions scandal could cost $86b, says Credit Suisse
VW's rapidly mushrooming diesel emissions conundrum could cost it up to $86b, argues major financial services company Credit Suisse.

Volkswagen emissions scandal could cost $86 billion, report says - CNET

Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 AM

861 posts, read 852,682 times
This could end up being as big as subprime for Germany. I could well imagine other German manufacturers have been at this as well and the cost of writing down the huge VW fleet which includes brands like Skoda will be huge.

I was already reading about massive writedowns on car stock having to be priced in by massive European car rental companies.

The hypocrisy shown by VW on this issue is astounding. It will open the door for Koreans who honestly have struggled to get their emissions down, to be fair they were actually playing by the rules in the main..

Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 AM

504 posts, read 465,725 times
I'm split on this. On one hand, VW has indeed behaved disgracefully and heads should roll.....probably into prison. It's a shock as we are used to German industry not only being world leading, but holding the moral high ground. Very keen on environmental issues, nice to their workers, co-operative with their unions, etc etc. All part of Germany being the model of the European Liberal Democracy.

So when they're found out being as dirty and corrupt as everyone else, our perception is indeed challenged. Along with Merkel's total mess-up over the migrant issue, it seems Germany is not as infallible as we thought. Its population is used to things going, broadly, right. I would imagine there is some domestic soul searching going on.

On the other hand, the sight of the USA getting all litigious over polluting cars is almost hysterically funny. This is the nation that subsidises petrol/diesel to the extent the locals think a dollar a gallon is the going rate. It loves huge, greedy, polluting engines - as anyone who stands on Mid Willshire and observes 6 lanes of stationary traffic all pumping out fumes will know. I suspect the vigour with which they are pursuing VW would be somewhat diluted were it an American company doing the dirty.

I doubt VW are the only culprits. I drive a BMW 640D, and fearing the worst with my tax implications (and depreciation).

Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
I'm split on this. On one hand, VW has indeed behaved disgracefully and heads should roll.....probably into prison. It's a shock as we are used to German industry not only being world leading, but holding the moral high ground. Very keen on environmental issues, nice to their workers, co-operative with their unions, etc etc. All part of Germany being the model of the European Liberal Democracy.

So when they're found out being as dirty and corrupt as everyone else, our perception is indeed challenged. Along with Merkel's total mess-up over the migrant issue, it seems Germany is not as infallible as we thought. Its population is used to things going, broadly, right. I would imagine there is some domestic soul searching going on.

On the other hand, the sight of the USA getting all litigious over polluting cars is almost hysterically funny. This is the nation that subsidises petrol/diesel to the extent the locals think a dollar a gallon is the going rate. It loves huge, greedy, polluting engines - as anyone who stands on Mid Willshire and observes 6 lanes of stationary traffic all pumping out fumes will know. I suspect the vigour with which they are pursuing VW would be somewhat diluted were it an American company doing the dirty.

I doubt VW are the only culprits. I drive a BMW 640D, and fearing the worst with my tax implications (and depreciation).
I agree with most of this post, but as to the bolded, yeah, I wish. American fuel is comparatively cheap, but it hasn't been a dollar a gallon since the 1980s.

But otherwise, very astute post.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:

The whole polluting car effort was in fact driven by California with the vehicle being the CARB. The rest of the nation and the world was pretty much dragged into polution control by California kicking and screaming all the way.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with most of this post, but as to the bolded, yeah, I wish. American fuel is comparatively cheap, but it hasn't been a dollar a gallon since the 1980s.

But otherwise, very astute post.
Maybe he meant a dollar per liter? Which is still a joke compared to what we pay, lol.

Anyways, a scam like this was to be expected IMO. With the regulations on emissions getting harder and harder and competition making the prices only lower for still better quality i'm not surprised this has happened.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,154 times
Quote:

Would you care to identify how, where and why the US subsidizes petrol/diesel?

Do you have any evidence to support your claim? Or are you just allowing your bias to rule.
There are lots of instances where both the states individually and collectively, plus the Feds separately, have gone after companies all across the industrial spectrum, from Ford and GM, to Enron, Big Tobacco, Big Pharma and Wall St. Penalties for law breaking tend to be more severe in the US than EU.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:53 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
I have been saying it for a long time, modern Germany is one big fake. It is not only VW, there have been other scandals involving Siemens etc., there is corruption and a lot of dubious lobbying. Checks on the industry are weak, which is why pharmaceutical companies like it so much there. Or think of the new airport in Berlin, a total disaster in terms of planning, financing, construction, and schedule. Or think of the mess regarding nuclear energy, they have been producing that toxic stuff for decades and nobody wants it. So they put it in barrels and placed them in some old mine in Lower Saxony. Meanwhile they have noticed it is inappropriate and again nobody knows what to do with the nuclear trash they have to recover from that site.
The German military is also a big mess, a lot of their equipment is broken, there is mismanagement everywhere.

In terms of work ethics as such, Germany is infamous for the high percentage of employees who hate their jobs and have already "mentally quit" their jobs.

Last edited by Neuling; 10-05-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe