Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Interesting. So it was really all about the money... I wonder if other cheaper brands have made the same mistake... With a BMW or Benz 335 bucks per car is not worth mentioning.

What I think sucks is that if VW goes under, those responsible will still be wealthy, but lots of innocent people and entire families will be unemployed.

Maybe doom is in the DNA of that company, it was started by the Nazis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
I read somewhere BMW may have done the same thing with their diesel engines.

There's some southern European countries out there in a far worse situation, so let them figure this out(get a taste of the medication).

I'm not saying all German companies are prone to cutting corners, but definitely this one and possibly some more have become super greedy.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/08/vw-ha...sselbloem.html

Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
VW EXEC PLAYS THE BLAME GAME... “Michael Horn, head of Volkswagen Group of America, told a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee that engineers were responsible for [a defeat device to cheat emissions tests] and that senior Volkswagen officials were not aware of it. Even as members of the panel expressed skepticism, Horn confessed, ‘I agree it’s very hard to believe, … and personally I struggle as well.’ … Horn said the company is working to develop a fix for the 482,000 cars affected by the device.” (National Journal)

...AND SO DO REPUBLICANS. “Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, said the public should be disappointed in the EPA for not catching the Volkswagen scandal sooner nor being the group that actually caught the German automaker.” (Washington Examiner)

VOLKSWAGEN’S INFLUENCE. “The European Commission has laid out a proposal to require real-life conditions in testing new cars for the air pollutant nitrogen oxide, sparking a debate among governments over how soon and how hard those new rules should bite. ... [T]he European Commission is now pushing for speedy implementation of the new rules following disclosures that Volkswagen AG cheated on U.S. emissions tests.” (Wall Street Journal)

Old 10-09-2015, 01:43 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I read somewhere BMW may have done the same thing with their diesel engines.

There's some southern European countries out there in a far worse situation, so let them figure this out(get a taste of the medication).

I'm not saying all German companies are prone to cutting corners, but definitely this one and possibly some more have become super greedy.

VW has to 'bloody well sort it out': Dijsselbloem
Most multinational corporations are greedy and many will cut corners to maximize profit. Apple, for instance, are holding over $181 billion in tax havens to avoid taxation.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Corruption is actually pretty common. It does not matter if the company is German, American, French or Norwegian. Some examples:

Siemens (DE): $1.6 billion in settlement
KBR/Halliburton (US): $579 million in settlement
BAE Systems (US): $448 million in settlement
Snamprogetti (NL): $240 million in settlement
Technip (FR): $240 million in settlement

Old 10-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Most multinational corporations are greedy and many will cut corners to maximize profit. Apple, for instance, are holding over $181 billion in tax havens to avoid taxation.
It's different to keep profits overseas than cheating/misleading consumers/polluting the environment and pretend to be a role model for ethics/doing business/making quality products. Btw, German companies are keeping profits overseas too(next door, to Switzerland).

It's all part of outsourcing, which is the plight of America nowadays. Hopefully this practice will come to an end(I hear Trump is serious about stopping it).

Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It's different to keep profits overseas than cheating/misleading consumers/polluting the environment and pretend to be a role model for ethics/doing business/making quality products. Btw, German companies are keeping profits overseas too(next door, to Switzerland).

It's all part of outsourcing, which is the plight of America nowadays. Hopefully this practice will come to an end(I hear Trump is serious about stopping it).
Is VW a role model? It is (was) mainly a profitable and fast-growing car manufacturer. Most of their low-end products are not any better than their competitors. The label "German engineering" applies mostly to mid and high-end products from Audi, Porsche and so on. The cheaper cars sold in the US (Jetta, Passat) are even inferior to the ones sold in Europe. Why? Because the competition is fierce and the prices and profit margins are lower. That might be one the reasons VW decided to cheat. The main reason was a dream of becoming the largest automaker in the world. Well, so much for that dream, Piëch and Winterkorn . I think German corporations are just as greedy and corrupt as anyone else. They are certainly not ethical role models. Deutsche bank is just as bad as Goldman Sachs.

Many multinational corporations funnel their money to tax havens. Swedish IKEA, for example, have done it for 40 years.

Did not the US start the outsourcing trend 30 years ago? Trump is also part of the system. Most of the crappy merchandise he sells is made in Mexico and Asia. He is such a hypocrite.

Last edited by cmptrwlt; 10-09-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Is VW a role model? It is (was) mainly a profitable and fast-growing car manufacturer. Most of their low-end products are not any better than their competitors. The label "German engineering" applies mostly to mid and high-end products from Audi, Porsche and so on. The cheaper cars sold in the US (Jetta, Passat) are even inferior to the ones sold in Europe. Why? Because the competition is fierce and the prices and profit margins are lower. That might be one the reasons VW decided to cheat. The main reason was a dream of becoming the largest automaker in the world. Well, so much for that dream, Piëch and Winterkorn . I think German corporations are just as greedy and corrupt as anyone else. They are certainly not ethical role models. Deutsche bank is just as bad as Goldman Sachs.

Many multinational corporations funnel their money to tax havens. Swedish IKEA, for example, have done it for 40 years.

Did not the US start the outsourcing trend 30 years ago? Trump is also part of the system. Most of the crappy merchandise he sells is made in Mexico and Asia. He is such a hypocrite.
Role model for the Germans. VW is not just 'a company'. It's their flagship company (founded by you know who). When the company is perceived as an unethical entity, it reflects on the entire country. In essence, VW has tarnished the image they were projecting.

All exported models, from all manufacturers, are in some ways inferior. They are stripped down car models with less features offered. Jettas and Passats or even Audis and Porsches are no exception.

I don't care much about Trump or any politicians in general, however, his campaign claims he backs this nation's interests, not special interests(he's using his own money to run, so in theory he has no strings attached to the lobbies out there.)

I know about Deutsche bank..

Deutsche Bank bosses resign in the wake of Libor scandal - BBC News

Old 10-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Role model for the Germans. VW is not just 'a company'. It's their flagship company (founded by you know who). When the company is perceived as an unethical entity, it reflects on the entire country. In essence, VW has tarnished the image they were projecting.

All exported models, from all manufacturers, are in some ways inferior. They are stripped down car models with less features offered. Jettas and Passats or even Audis and Porsches are no exception.

I don't care much about Trump or any politicians in general, however, his campaign claims he backs this nation's interests, not special interests(he's using his own money to run, so in theory he has no strings attached to the lobbies out there.)

I know about Deutsche bank..

Deutsche Bank bosses resign in the wake of Libor scandal - BBC News
Walmart employs 1% of America. Is it a role model? No, I do not think (and hope) so. Neither is VW for the Germans, but it is, of course, very important for the German economy. Around 250k Germans work for the corporation.

Calling non-diesel versions of Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Audi inferior is a stupid thing to say. The 918 Spyder, for example, is one of the most advanced sports cars in the world. The 911 has been a sports car benchmark for decades. The Golf is still the hatchback benchmark in Europe.

I am pretty sure VW will bounce back in 3-4 years.

Or maybe a bankruptcy is what VW needs:
GM bankruptcy worth billions in faulty-ignition switch reprieve

Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 PM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
Because the competition is fierce and the prices and profit margins are lower. That might be one the reasons VW decided to cheat.
+1

VW has been struggling with this issue for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe